Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to this

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this

Hey guys, I posted in the RC Helicopters thread as well because it was what interested me the most, but if you were new to RC trucks, what would you suggest for a RTR kit? I have a budget of $100 - $150 to start out. I would really like to get into Nitro vehicles, but I'm sure it's much more cost effective to start electric. What's the best off-road vehicle to start with? I have no previous experience with these other than the toys my parents bought for me when I was a child. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM
jmcvicker

Default RE: New to this

You may want to look into a used Associated T4 on eBay or elsewhere. A new setup RTR may be a little higher than your budget considering you will probably want to add-on some batteries, a better charger, etc. For the number you gave, you could also get a Losi Mini-T RTR kit which would be an ok starter (but is 1/18 scale).

I see some duratrax Evader ST and EXT models on eBay in the price-range (some new). Search on "Evader Truck" there on eBay. Similar to the T4, but more of a bargain price (entry level model).
Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Chris_RC

Its going to be hard to find something under $150. Sure there are trucks that are under, but then you needs batteries and charger. Some reccomendatios: Duratrax Evader EXT and EXB ($100, but still needing $100 in batteries and charger), also look at the Duratrax Vendetta minis, Losi Mini-Desert Truck, Traxxas Rustler/Stampede/Bandit XL5 (they are about $150 not including batteries and charger, another $100).

DONT GO CHEAP!!! If something says CHEAP RC CARS!!!! dont get it. They are knockoffs and very bad quality. If you spend a little more upfront ($200-$250 is a are budget to start with) you will thank yourself you did it. Buy cheap, buy twice.

"Pay me now, or pay me later, because your gonna pay me."
Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 PM
clamber

Why would you want Nitro? Electric is so much better!

I dont know much about anything RC so Ill let the other smarter members answer your questions!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Can you guys point me to a reccomended dealer? I have no idea who/where to buy from except maybe eBay...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Can you guys review this and let me know what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Rustler-...713.m153.l1262
Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Barber420

Their are a lot of online hobby shops you can order from. Also, you can always look in your phone book and see if you have any LHS(Local Hobby Shop) nearby to you. For a beginner, I would recommend an electric model for sure. Since you're inexperienced I would also recommend buying something new as opposed to used(If you accidentally buy a used basket case you have to know what to do to make it right), but wait and save your money so you have a bigger budget. By the time you get a vehicle, battery, and charger it's REAL easy to be over $300 if you buy so so equipment. I would say an ideal budget for getting started with quality, not neccesarily the best just good quality, is $350-450. A good charger and Nimh battery of decent MAH(miliamp hours = how long the battery will run the RC) will be about $90-150. A good RC buggy or truck RTR(Ready To Run) will be around $275-350. Look into Associated, HPI, Losi, and Traxxas for RC vehicles. These are good brands that sell a range of RC's at varying price points and quality levels. Good battery brands to look at are Intellect(IB), Orion, Trinity, and Cheapbatterypacks.com. MRC and Onyx chargers are of pretty good quality and fair pricing. Also, you'll probably want an RTR, because it is a cheaper way to get into the hobby. The RTR's come with radio's, speed controls, and servos ready to go. If you buy a kit vehicle you'll have to buy the motor(most likely), Radio, and other electronics seperately and that makes the whole endeavor more costly. Good luck. Do your research, ask questions, and be patient before rushing into buy something.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Barber420

That's a good starter vehicle, and it's gotten cheaper since I last looked, but it can be had for cheaper at Towerhobbies.com than that e-bay price.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Thanks for the info, I'm quickly realizing I need to save some cash....which isn't necessarily good because I'm a little impatient and really want to get into this.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Barber420

Do you think you would ever want to race? If you do then stay away from anything Traxxas. However, if you just want to bash it around then a Traxxas is fine. I personally am an Associated and HPI fan over the rest, but Losi and Traxxas are good quality vehicles. What kind of terrain will you be driving it in? That may make a big difference on what you get.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
NjBasher

well for a first car i always recommend a kit to get to know hoe rc's work. for about 115-150 u can get a nice kit. but for 150 u cant even get everything u need with a rtr. id say say save your money about 275 maybe get a kit, battery, radio charger or to save money just get the rtr.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rustleracer23

well for a first car i always recommend a kit to get to know hoe rc's work. for about 115-150 u can get a nice kit. but for 150 u cant even get everything u need with a rtr. id say say save your money about 275 maybe get a kit, battery, radio charger or to save money just get the rtr.
I wouldnt reccomend a kit just because he is getting started and a box of a bunch of parts is intimidating especially to someone who has never even owned an hobby grade RC car before.

RTRs will get you going cheaper.

EDIT: You want a NIMH, not nicad, and a peak detection charger (not timed). With a timed charger you will never know when it is ready unless you always watch it and a 1500mAh battery will only last 5 minutes if that and they it will take an hour to charge. Stick with 3000+ mAh batteries and stay away from Tenegys.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 PM
NjBasher

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: rustleracer23

I wouldnt reccomend a kit just because he is getting started and a box of a bunch of parts is intimidating especially to someone who has never even owned an hobby grade RC car before.

RTRs will get you going cheaper.
yeah its cheaper but what do you learn? my first car was a kit and it helped me out alot. tamiya kits arent hard to build. i did it alone when in like 6th grade
Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Barber420

I still would recommend an RTR for him over a kit, just because he can get started for a lot less cash. Normally, I would recommend a kit, but he's on a pretty tight budget and it doesn't sound like he wants to save $ for a long time. He's better off to save money going RTR and get a better charger and battery. The battery is kind of the heart of the system and if he can afford to buy a GOOD 5000mah battery or a couple of 3500+mah batts. then he is better off. Stay away from Venom batteries too. They're okay, but you're best off to buy a GREAT quality battery. Also, if you do decide to go with a Rustler, you're better off to buy the VXL version. The VXL has better hardware, tranny, motor, & ESC(electronic speed control). All of the stuff I've recommended thus far is good to great quality and will serve you well.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 PM
NjBasher

ORIGINAL: Barber420

I still would recommend an RTR for him over a kit, just because he can get started for a lot less cash. Normally, I would recommend a kit, but he's on a pretty tight budget and it doesn't sound like he wants to save $ for a long time. He's better off to save money going RTR and get a better charger and battery. The battery is kind of the heart of the system and if he can afford to buy a GOOD 5000mah battery or a couple of 3500+mah batts. then he is better off. Stay away from Venom batteries too. They're okay, but you're best off to buy a GREAT quality battery. Also, if you do decide to go with a Rustler, you're better off to buy the VXL version. The VXL has better hardware, tranny, motor, & ESC(electronic speed control). All of the stuff I've recommended thus far is good to great quality and will serve you well.
+1
Old 12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would look at this one http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TTR6525F41A1!1009
you can't really go wrong with that. Comes with a battery and charger, granted they don't list what battery, its probably not a great one, and the charger is probably a wall wart. But hey, it gets you in the door with a decent vehicle. Part for this should be interchangeable with the associated T3.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Wow guys, I thought the guys on my Dodge truck forum answered quickly. Thanks for all the reccomendations. I'm not intimidated by a kit, but you are right in saying I want to get in this sooner rather than later. I mainly want to get my foot in the door so I at least have something to fool around with while I work towards the better equipment.

As for the terrain...could be anything. Street, grassy field, the "beach" at our local lake...anything except what I shouldn't drive it on.

As for racing...not at the moment. However, if this becomes an obsession like my truck is, racing is a very good possibility. The traxxas would just be to get my foot in the door, as stated above.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Alright, between these three (knowing I'll need a better battery and charger):

Traxxas Rustler XL-5 RTR
Traxxas Stampede XL-5 RTR
Traxxas Bandit Extreme Sports XL-5 RTR

These are just what I found on TowerHobbies.com that are within my price range.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Barber420

They're all good basher vehicles. Stampede will go through the most terrain, but handles the worst. Rustler will go pretty much anywhere, but real thick heavy sand and grass(Taller than an inch or two) and handle better. Bandit is the best handling, but pretty much won't do grass at all.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Chris_RC

Your headed in the right direction with getting a pretty good quality vehicle. the rustler is best for onroad, short grass, jumping, and stability (easiest to drive out of the 3). the stampede is good for jumping, going over long grass, and going over obstacles with a higher ground clearence but it is really topheavy and hadnles funny. The Bandit is really good at nothing besdies being cheaper. Cant go thru grass, doesnt jump or handle like a "real" buggy, not stable.

The Phoenix is a OK truck, but it comes with bushings and a ball diff which might not be good for a beginenr who doesnt want alot of maintence.

You dont have to buy the VXL models when you are just starting out, the Xl5 models are a good way to get started to see if you like it and have good speed and durability.

How much is your budget now? (We can definitly work with $250 or maybe $225 but then you wont get good stuff) Electric is more of an initial investment, get good batteries/charger and a good truck and your set for a while.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 AM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

Thanks again for the help guys. It looks like I'm going to save and get the Rustler VXL. I know it's a bit more, but I want to start with something good.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Chris_RC

The advantages over the VXL are this: better turnuckles (you wont know the difference at 30mph), bearings instead of bushings (they are about $15 for a kit of bearings), all stell tranny (can be done with $15), and the VXL system which goes in the same league of speed as the VXL on 6 cell nimh but the main advantage of the VXL is that it can go to higher voltage which makes it faster.

The X:-5 versions are still great trucks, I have driven them alot, but if you are on a budget get the XL5 and better electronics (motor/esc/servo) and good batteries. If you get the VXL on a bad battery it wont run good.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

I've watched some videos with titles including "8-cell rocket" or "9-cell rocket." Now, I assume this refers to a bigger battery. Is this possible with the XL5s or only the VXLs?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
supercharged347

save and get the VXL like you said......brushless is sooo much better. It is true though, a good battery is needed to fully enjoy how much better the brushless setup is. Lipo is awesome, but again...more $$ for battery and charger.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:44 AM
BMRbrnSNRbrd

OK guys, to bring this back....if you could go back to your first truck and had a budget of $350, what would you buy that's out now???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.