Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Savage Flux RCU review

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
webdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Flux RCU review

I think you guys will be pleased to know that RCU will be the first to review the [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100646/]Savage Flux[/link], even before the magazines[8D]
It shipped out today and is enroute. I should have the review done in a few weeks from when I get it.
Matt
Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Savage Flux RCU review

Excellent, yes . I am sure looking forward to it.

I'm wondering if it has many components the same as the nitro savages too.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM
pede_187

Sounds Great!!! Do you know what batteries you are going to use in this review?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

That's a good question.

A head-to-head shootout with traxxas bl revo seems in order.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM
ElectricGuy007

I've seen pictures of it. Looks like they ditched the aluminum frame for a plastic one.[&o]
But I bet it's fast out of the box reguardless. Looking forward to the review.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
ChuckDeez

the aluminum frame is painted black. Its still there racerex.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: pede_187

Sounds Great!!! Do you know what batteries you are going to use in this review?
Yes Pede, Ill be using racers Edge 5000mah lipos.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

a shootout with the e-revo will be really nice.anyone knows if it has the same tvp lenght?i just want the battery trays hehehe
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: badboy2

a shootout with the e-revo will be really nice.anyone knows if it has the same tvp lenght?i just want the battery trays hehehe
its a savage X 4.6 with XL spec drivetrain, uhhh and nylon bigbore shocks and XL hub carries, so yes it has the exact same TVP's

the lug
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, RCU must have some pull to get one before any of the rags. Are those lipos 2s or 3s?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
webdr

They will be 2s.
matt
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
twobnvd

You lucky Dawg Cant wait to see the review
Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 AM
ArancioC5

ORIGINAL: webdr

They will be 2s.
matt

Hey Matt, I hope you dont mind but can you please explain the beneficial reasons of using lipo over nimh packs because we had a debate going on over in the nitro forums. In other words, The argument was made that brushless performance can not be fully utilized if not using lipo (ex: best lipo to best nimh). Thanks alot, and please in your review can you mention the compatibility between the nitro version and this for future conversions. THANKS!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 AM
rhylsadar

hi

why only 2x2s instead of 2x3s when the esc should be able to handle 6s?

about the tvp. from the looks they look different than the nitro tvp because in the rear there is this "hole" for the motor. so if they are from the length exactly like the x4.6 tvps? possible. probably yes but thats not yet 100% certain.

a review is nice. however usually such reviews do not bring too much "new" information as it is impossible to really test a rc model in a few days or weeks. but there will sure be some nice pics.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
webdr

ORIGINAL: rhylsadar

hi

why only 2x2s instead of 2x3s when the esc should be able to handle 6s?

about the tvp. from the looks they look different than the nitro tvp because in the rear there is this "hole" for the motor. so if they are from the length exactly like the x4.6 tvps? possible. probably yes but thats not yet 100% certain.

a review is nice. however usually such reviews do not bring too much "new" information as it is impossible to really test a rc model in a few days or weeks. but there will sure be some nice pics.

bye
rhylsadar
2s packs are being used because thats what HPI requested that I use.
I respectfully disagree with your statement about it being impossible to fully test a vehicle in a few weeks. Long term reports are hard to do for anything being tested because you have a limited amount of time to test. On the other hand, Ive had issues manifest themselves on the first day, as well as week four, and I note them in the review...its not just a pretty picture page I push the vehicles very had in order to find weaknesses, and if they present themselves, I say so in the review.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Lilredmachine

The TVPs are not the same as the X, they have been reworked for brushless. They may be the same length though.

It's odd that HPI requested you use 2s packs considering how much has been made of the 6s capability. That concerns me slightly.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Snaut Rocket

THis should be interesting.
When do you get the car.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
webdr

any day now...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM
rhylsadar

Long term reports are hard to do for anything being tested because you have a limited amount of time to test.
yes that is exaclty like that. thats the reason why the best information you can get is getting the car yourself and see. 2nd best you can do is read forum reports over a longer time. that may give one a more fully picture of the model.
on a pure factual level, after reading countless of reviews in the web and magazins, reviews are mostly biased towards a positive presentation of the car, which makes sense because the manufacturer "sponsors" the model. that has nothing to do with the skills and experience of the tester. i fully believe most of them are very experienced rc hobbiysts and know their stuff. and i am sure you are too. but still its not an independent view on the model. nevertheless those reviews are of some value and i fully respect the work of the tester!
this concrete review may be even more difficult as there is so much pre-information as this is not really a "new" car. savages are around for many years and their issues are documented in forums around the globe. don't get me wrong i am looking foward to your work. its just my expectations for "new" information are quite low, which is a good thing as this makes it more probable that in the end i am positively surprised.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Access

Yeah that's a big problem pretty much everywhere, well-known review sites get free product from the manufacturers, and review it positively for fear that if they give a negative review, the free product will be withheld in the future. Sometimes this is also based on timing, manufacturers will ship product to preferred reviewers before the ordinary channels like distributors.

A sure way to tell, though, is to look at some past products that are 'known bad' or have known problems / flaws and see if the reviewer picked those up. Or, just see if some bad / negative reviews are given at all... b'cos if you test enough products, you are certain to find bad ones now and then.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

The TVPs are not the same as the X, they have been reworked for brushless. They may be the same length though.

It's odd that HPI requested you use 2s packs considering how much has been made of the 6s capability. That concerns me slightly.
well i coulda sworn the were the same, ahh well

i think HPI said 2s, just because they know people arn't gunna go out and buy 2 or 4 3s packs, off the batt. so 2s or 7-8 cell NIHM is much more likely and they both provide similar preformance, so it'll give prospecting buyers a good idea of what they'll accually be getting not what they're getting on steroids, and personally i'm not too concerned about the savages durabilty they're built like tanks, so i don't think long term testing will give me any more info, i really wanna know is how does it compair to the nitro lets say X 4.6, how are the nylon big-bores, and is this the first nealy perfect RTR truck it looks that way to me, and thats what i wanna know so yeah thats my bit on this

the lug
Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 AM
pythonfan

hey webdr looking froward to the review, but can you do me one favor?

alot of the reviews on rcu they have kinda strayed from the old ones as in, no one real strips down the car to show you the nitty gritty.

so maybe if time allows, strip down the trans and diff to clarify that it is using the single or 2speed, and if the diffs are any different?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 AM
latenightrob

Is this truck waterproof?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM
yaris

ORIGINAL: latenightrob

Is this truck waterproof?
I don't think, if it were HPI would probably have announced it on their site but they don't talk about waterproof
Old 12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Lilredmachine

It uses a Mamba monster max which is NOT waterproof, just to clarify.

Somewhat obvious from the large hole in the top of the ESC for the fan I'd of thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.