Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Favorite cheap durable brushed ESC?

I figured it would happen sooner or later. I let the smoke out of the old yeller XL-5 in my Stampede last week running on a parking lot and the snow around the edges. No it wasn't waterproofed so I got what I deserved but it survived two years of similar abuse before going open-circuit on me. Perhaps the ridiculous amount of salt they put down made the water conductive enough to short internally. Anyway, now I need a cheap ESC that isn't too water sensitive(I'll waterproof this one somewhat anyway) and can handle down to at least a 17T brushed motor. Reverse isn't too important, but price is: I'm a cheapskate. Wish I hadn't sold that old Tekin I had laying around......gimme some suggestions.
    Matt Smith
    If you\'\'re not having fun, you\'\'re missing the point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Favorite cheap durable brushed ESC?

Novak XRS.

Might as well consider the Castle Creations Sidewinder too.
    Hittin\'\' easy street on mud tires

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mamba max, just set it to brushed mode and run whatever motor u want!!

shaun
    rustler VXL all rpm\'\'d
    revo 3.3 electric conversion (under construction)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe look at a novak GTX used. They are $150 new and are going for $40 shipped used on ebay and other rc forum for sale/trade sites. It has endless programmability and can handle ANY brushed motor (no turn limit).
    Losi 2.0 ~ 8T 2.0 ~ XXX-T CR ~ XXX-NT AD2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

None of those sound cheap(except the used one chris mentioned)He did say he was a cheapskate.
    Tamiya cc01, AE RC18R, HPI Savage Flux XS, HPI E-Firestorm Flux.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Novak XRS is $50 i think. But for $10 less you can get a way better one used because everyone has brushless now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try to find a waterproof XL5 used on Ebay. One of those has gotta be cheaper than the Novak. And its water proof! (not really, but its more water proof than your old one was)
    *Compact battery box is waterproof against dust!
    Rustler, Slash, TA03F, 4Tec, Evader, X-Crawler, Cx3 heli, more?...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So you are comparing a waterproofed XL-5 esc to a Novak GTX? [&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd just pick up another yellow XL5. Since Traxxas released the Blue waterproof version the old yellow models can be bought pretty cheap. I've gotten a couple under $25. I personally think they're the best cheap ESC out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the input. I hadn't really considered checking for used on ebay. I was looking at new ones on there and the savings weren't that great over buying from the LHS. I'll look into the ones mentioned. I might go for a sidewinder if I find a screamin' deal on one, but I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible. I don't mind spending money on my race vehicles, but the stampede is a tattered abused basher vehicle, and putting a new mamba max combo in that would be like putting a new built 426 hemi in a clapped out rusted '73 Dart.
    Matt Smith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tazer 15t?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try an MTroniks Viper RV15. I have had mine for three years and really beaten it. it is fully waterproof as stock. Some people say they are a bit on the heavy side though, but for bashing what the heck.

Hope this helps....

M

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are plenty if take off blue water proofed xl-5 on the flea bay, since you are using 17T and they are good down to 15T this would be a no brain cheap fix. A new one is about $50. You might look into their servo water proofer.
    Hey Buddy -That was the most spectacular crash I\'ve ever seen , That rolling cart wheel with parts slinging out was cool...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedster 1919

There are plenty if take off blue water proofed xl-5 on the flea bay, since you are using 17T and they are good down to 15T this would be a no brain cheap fix. A new one is about $50. You might look into their servo water proofer.
    accually they're good to 12t

i was gunna sugjest the duratrax intellispeed 16t or 12t esc they're about 50-60 great esc's i've had mine for 2 years and no issues has handled being spayed in snow then i just shook it off upside down and it was fine i've splashed it a good number of times its even been dragged behind the car for a bit, (what, it was dark out) no issues, but i have a feeling that its being mounted vertically had a role to play in in its resilance to water...

the lug
    Savage Flux 2350 Evader ST Pro EXT \'\'Detta ST E Choas, HPI E Firestrom Novus CP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

12T 550, 15T 540.

The used GTX sounds like a good idea.
    David \"chmod\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GTX is a nice controller, I have one myself, but I'd be scared of buying used ones off ebay... Even at 40 or 50 bucks that's not cheap for a basher etc. It is a racing esc pretty much. I know people will laugh, but I vote for the duratrax intellispeed. The forward only edition is 20 bucks? I have one on my super blackfoot, and I run 14.4 volts through it with a 12 turn lol. Pretty similar truck to the stampede really probably in weight etc. I have also run 10 cell packs with the intellispeed forward/reverse escs on my wheely king in grass with the huge tires and they do great. If you want a powerful one, the streak is 35 bucks, and has a cool traction control setting.
    I too have a tazer esc in a df03. It's the 12t model? I think. It's grossly overrated and even a hot 19 turn gets it very hot to the touch. It also has a overly agressive battery cutoff on it, and you can't even run a 7 cell on it. The only benefit to it I see is it's tiny size...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found a new yellow XL5 for under $35 shipped, so I think I might just go for that since the old one took so much abuse before frying. I actually have heard good things about the DTX controllers as well, if that $22 intellispeed can take a 17T Orion SV2 on 2S lipo without frying, I might snag one.(I know it's outside the ratings, but who knows? No sense saving $10 if fry it, but if it is documented that they can handle it...)
    Matt Smith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

haha yes it will take it :P Unless you get a dud. I have that exact same 17 turn motor and have used it with that controller, and a tenergy 8 cell pack, running on my blackfoot, and what was more it had blown tires at the time so I had my wheely king tires on the rear! That's the motor with the funky endbell and the angled brushes right? Anyway I agree the xl-5 is nice for the fact that it's waterproof, and can take a 8 cells as well. Not many escs are waterproof at all I don't guess. I think the lrp's claim to be but really aren't :P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got mine for $45 shipped a long time ago and it was fine. As long as the person has a good feedback rating, there is nothing to be scared of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ripmax quake ESC no limit for brushed motors if you can get hold of one great little cheap escs i paid £40 over here and have ran down to 6turn motors with no problems keeps my TT-01 upto speed
    HPI Baja 5B, T-MAXX3.3, STAMPEDEVXL ,TT-01R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeez! I just looked up the specs on the "20 turn" $23 Duratrax ESC waterpumper and lugnut mentioned and it lists 128 amps continuous and 440 amps peak handling. If that is even within about 25% of actual capability it should handle the 17T orion no problemo. I might just go for that...
    Matt Smith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

Jeez! I just looked up the specs on the "20 turn" $23 Duratrax ESC waterpumper and lugnut mentioned and it lists 128 amps continuous and 440 amps peak handling. If that is even within about 25% of actual capability it should handle the 17T orion no problemo. I might just go for that...
    yah the intellispeed ESC's are great IMO, i love mine i know other people who have them and love um, my only complaint is they're BIG, about 2X2 for size... tho i belive the XL5 is similar, but compaired to my novak XRS which is like 1X.75 in but if you have the space you're fine, it barely fits in my B4 but i have the XRSin there now so no issues

the lug
    Savage Flux 2350 Evader ST Pro EXT \'\'Detta ST E Choas, HPI E Firestrom Novus CP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah the amps ratings are awesome huh haha. When they rate them they must be rated for turning clodbuster sized tires in high grass. When you look at ones like the dynamite tazer 12t we talked about earlier, the continuous max current on it is 46 amp...compared to 120 something on the dtx. Every company rates their stuff different, and leaves different extra margins for sure. Anyway some charts I have seen rated the intellispeeds at 18 turns so that is only one turn off from your 17 anyway. I think it will handle that motor without even sweating. I agree the size isn't small, this is why it's not as good on things like the df03, or alot of buggies, but for trucks like wheely king, blackfoot, pede and other bashers it's great. I'm using one in my wk crawler setup and it never even gets warm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont even get me started about how small the novak GTX is.

Here is an example.....

Now compare the size of the esc to 1 cell.