Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Evader or Rustler? Experienced racer looking for opinions!

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Evader or Rustler? Experienced racer looking for opinions!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
notatoy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evader or Rustler? Experienced racer looking for opinions!

i would not buy a evader you can only go from what you experiance iam sure some guys have had good luck with them but for me it was the worst r/c i ever owend , and not very durable at all . after a very short time of owning this model the chassie snapped in half like a pretzel . this was with very light use .i ended up parting it out . i dont rate duretraxx at all and would never buy another . thanks .
Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Ah, I've seen RTR XXX4's go for 175$ here lately as I've been watching (Like I said, JUST came back in) and T4/B4 RTR (although cheap electronis) go for around 150, that's why I asked, but I understand your reasoning. I've always jus had the mentality that buying cheap is just a precursor and he'll want more haha.

Hope he has lots of fun!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: nitrozach54

Where I live, there are NO real hobby shops, so when I break a part, no RC for a week =(
you lie, [link=http://www.rcconnectionvt.com/Default.aspx]rc connection[/link]Rc connection, is right in colchester... near the dollar general, and the dry cleaning place thats name i forget, and VT toy+hobby used to sell traxxas stuff, not no more tho, it was good if you needed somthing small...

yeah, nice choice with the evader i would've said get the PRO, but its DISCONT. so no go there, i got the pro love it, but to make the ep a good racer, my top 3 mods, to run in a good fast class, B2 diff mod, MG servo, deans connectors, they're a great truck crazy adjustable, and they still sell many parts that came stock on the pro (basically a super hoped up evader) so it can be more adjustable, you get adjusable rear toe, and adjustable steering akerman, thats it for extra adjustablitly that you can get on the truck, everything else about the truck is adjustable, except for i wanna say its caster (angle of from shock tower), everything else, wheel base, shocks, toe, (not rear on reg evader), camber, slipper, diff....
its a great truck, i love mine and be sure to check out The Evader Colition

the lug
Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
notatoy
Banned

yeah and make sure you get a strong chassie they snap like pretzels , or you could buy a decent r/c ,
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

I have never seen ANY parts for an evader there
Old 01-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: notatoy

yeah and make sure you get a strong chassie they snap like pretzels , or you could buy a decent r/c ,
EXACTLY what Im not looking for (as stated in the OP) Have anything to back that up? Or is it a "well, I know a friend that has a friend" statement?
kthxbye

If they were THAT bad, they wouldnt be sold still.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 PM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: Ken448

EXACTLY what Im not looking for (as stated in the OP) Have anything to back that up? Or is it a "well, I know a friend that has a friend" statement?
kthxbye

LOL I disagree with the 'wouldn't be sold' part, but again, he has no proof most likely. There is nothing wrong with what you got for the kid's age.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 AM
JosephX66

ya i feel you nitrozac54....
i asked my parents for a few parts for my slash for christmas and when christmas came i got nothing... They said it wastes all my time and money, and i have the exact prob as you. When I buy stuff online with my dads card and i pay him back... he always thinks its the dumbest thing in the world to spend money on and always tries to make me quit R/C
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
notatoy
Banned

kthxbye

dude look im my gallery you will see a tamiya moded with whats left of my evader . so its not a case of ohh yeah i know this guy you will see a evader shock tower and shocks with yellow springs thats what is left of my evader .. they are the biggest peice of junk i have ever owned . so you guys carnt tell me that these are great and you can upgrade them because the chassie is so weak it would need a total over haul to be any good , so my advice would be look else were for a good r/c there are lots on the market traxxas has released some good models as of late .. but evaders no thanks.....[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM
rclugnut10

a full list of what i have busted on mine in 2 years of owning the evader pro

1 a arm
2 stock servos
2 palstic servo horns
1 bellcrank
1 idler gear
2 stock diff gears
1 set of front rims (the stockers, the rubber was gone at this point so no biggy)
2 rears, same as fronts really
2 spurs, lazy me didn't set good mesh
uhhh yeah, thats my FULL LIST, 2 years hard bashing, and its now BL so i'll be hard pressed to find a weakness in this truck, like i said, its not desgined to be hit by a train and drive off, if you want that just get a savage (flux for you E ppl) and be done with it...

the lug
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Ken448

sorry notatoy, you are the only one here that thinks it is total junk.. Besides that it will be a track car only, not a basher so I am not too worried. AND a chassiS cost about 20-30 maybe? Small price to pay for fun!

Thanks again all for the comments!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
notatoy
Banned

sorry notatoy, you are the only one here that thinks it is total junk.. Besides that it will be a track car only, not a basher so I am not too worried. AND a chassiS cost about 20-30 maybe? Small price to pay for fun!

no problem my friend but iam not alone in my thoughts do a google search you might be suprised at what you find ,, if your willing to replace the chassie at 20 to 30 bucks a go good luck to you ,my experiance with this model was not a good one , i ended up parting out . the rest whent were it belongs imo the trash can . but as they say you live and learn i learnt that they evader is not a good r/c may be you will to one day , thanks .
Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting advice is always good,but the only way to really find out is to have your own and find out threw trail and error......Let us know how it runs and holds up.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Redvanmafia

my evader was a POS, and i spent all my money trying not to make it one, but in the end it was still a pos, so i had to give up on it, it was a money pit... then i got a stampede![>:]

Whats up with 19t motors stripping the idler?, or the diff and slipper always loosening them selfs every run and brittle broke parts![:@]
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Ken448

I see it this way.. It is a track car, NOT a basher. I am not the least bit worried about it lasting. If he gets 6 months out of it to learn on GREAT, it was $120 well spent. Did I mention it was $120? Itll see 2 ft of air 99% of the time with MAYBE a bigger 3' jump thrown in every now and then. You buy a cheap car, you get a cheap car. Do I think itll out perform my Losi's.. Heck now. Do I think itll be fine to learn on? For $120, abso-freekin-lutley! If he has nothing but problems for 6 months, Ill be sure to post here what the issues AND FIXES are.

Theres no excuse for stripping spur gears, screws loosening, etc. If you cant set mesh, and or figure out the workings of a tube of loctite then maybe RC isnt your thing. If you whack a board because of driver error and it breaks.. Learn to drive cleaner. Heck, Im tempted to buy one, and start posting race results with it just to shut a select few up.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
hdmm

Before this gets to a flame war, I want to make it clear what I am looking for. I am an experienced racer (25 years) and race a MF2 finishing consistently in the top 3 or 4 in A Mains each time I race. That said, I have little or no experience with Rustler or Evaders, and my sister wants me to get my nephew into racing, or at least some time on the track for around $200. My first thoughts were the Evader because you can get it RTR for about $130 Then I was looking at the Rustler and it can be bought for about $150.

He is a beginner (9 years old)
Full Bearings would be nice
Tires do not matter (this will be ran at an indoor carpet track, and stock tires will not be used)
Motor has little to do with decision (again, beginner, and will be running stock once he works his way out of beginner class)
Chassis tuneability will be important (toe, camber, ride height, shock pre-load etc)
Be nice to have a decent steering servo out of the box
Parts are not an issue, LHS carries both
HE will be using some of my old batteries to get him started, and my pit box for tools and other needs. (ie if he is there, I will be too)

Please, if you are going to state one or the other, list why? I dont want to get into "I own this, and its super duper radically awesome and you should too!" They dont want to spend $500 here because they need to know that he is going to enjoy racing on a track and not just bashing which is why he will not be running a Losi or Associated, that will come later. If you have a valid suggestion for another stadium truck, please list it!
I too have been into RC'ing and racing since the late 80's. I have owned both of these brands for my kids that are learning RC, I would recommend Traxxas for a beginner. They are very durable and parts are plentiful at any of the hobby stores I have been in ( everytime I needed a part for the Duratrax I had to order it or get it from Tower). Duratrax is a OK product, but they don't seem to hold up as well as the Traxxas and they require alot more maintence.

Here are a few examples;

The duratrax shocks look nice because they are aluminum, but they leak like crazy. ( the Traxxas ones don't leak ) The Evader ST we had had a horrible ball diff, that constantly came unadjusted and eventually melted the diff gear. ( never had a single problem with a traxxas tranny) Those are just a few things from my own personal experiences.

I myself probably won't be buying any more Duratrax stuff, that's just my opinion. I have, however purchased 2 Traxxas Slash trucks over the summer and those have been awesome.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
warheadforever

Rustler, it is much nice then any DTX product.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
cjg

I have two BX's and a Rustler. Evader runs circles around the rustler. I've had parts break on both. Overall I think the Evader is better, faster truck, but somewhat more fragile. My Losi XXXT breaks easily as well when I bash.... The faster, the nimbler, the more they break.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
rclugnut10

BAH, idk what you ppl are doing to these things but i've never had my diff loosen up on my evader, only on my B4, if you replace the locknut once a year, which is no big deal and you should be in ball diffs every 6 mo at least anyways, the shocks, replaced the seals no issues since, and did you guys ever think of using locktite on metal to metal contacts, idk about you, but thats one of my 10 commandments and its not only nitro's that need it...

the lug
Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
caseyddr

Unfortunately most ppl don't know how to take care of their cars to allow them to run properly. :/
Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
The Hedgehog

For racing, the Evader wins hands down, it is a more race bred platform.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 AM
notatoy
Banned

the fact is duretraxx suck .s and the durebility propblems of the evader will always be. not because peopel are careless or do not know how to maintain them hell i have a 25 year old shumahcher boss cat that runs as good as the day i got it , and its been bashed into oblivion , there will always be peopel for and against , but i know a rubbish model when i see one and iam afraid to say the duretraxx evader is it . buy at your perol evader === [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 AM
notatoy
Banned

I see it this way.. It is a track car, NOT a basher. I am not the least bit worried about it lasting. If he gets 6 months out of it to learn on GREAT, it was $120 well spent. Did I mention it was $120? Itll see 2 ft of air 99% of the time with MAYBE a bigger 3' jump thrown in every now and then. You buy a cheap car, you get a cheap car. Do I think itll out perform my Losi's.. Heck now. Do I think itll be fine to learn on? For $120, abso-freekin-lutley! If he has nothing but problems for 6 months, Ill be sure to post here what the issues AND FIXES are.

Theres no excuse for stripping spur gears, screws loosening, etc. If you cant set mesh, and or figure out the workings of a tube of loctite then maybe RC isnt your thing. If you whack a board because of driver error and it breaks.. Learn to drive cleaner. Heck, Im tempted to buy one, and start posting race results with it just to shut a select few up.
if you think so much about this evader to be honest you have not had a decent r/c in your stable , you will be lucky to see 2 ft of air with this model mine broke while running around my front garden no (jk) .if you read the post there is a theme running through them and that theme is dureability .the one thing that this model does not have .but if your that hell bent on fixing the thing every time you take it out ,knock yourself out , it is the model for you . thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, i pretty much have the same question as ken. i found out not long ago that there is a track not that far away from my house. I would like to occasionaly race there, but with the rc car i have (monster truck) would not be able to race. There are quite a lot of evaders racing at that track, so the evader would probably be better for racing, but i would probably be doing more bashing then racing so do you guys thing the rustler would be best for me, or do you suggest anything else??
Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 AM
pede_187

If he is just racing, I'd go with the Evader. Quite honestly, and I'm sure people will back me up on this, he won't really have a whole lot of fun on the track with a rustler.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.