Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Losi Desert Truck

One more question.....Do many of you have a Losi desert truck ???? And are they hard to get parts for ??? They seem to be a pretty well built truck....I found a place that has them brand new for $199.99....Seems like a pretty good buy to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Losi Desert Truck

You’ll love the new Losi DT but keep in mind it was designed off the big open class desert trucks found in the Mint 400 and Baja 1000 and not the short course core trucks ie the slash by Traxxas. I run my stock using the Venom 3300mah batteries on a course set for the core type trucks. The course is short with lots of 90 degree turns, triple and double jumps and short straights. The truck actually out performs the short course trucks in all respects . The first thing you notice is the huge amounts of wheel travel. Plush is the best word to describe the suspension. The only thing I plan on changing is the pinion gear size taking it smaller by one size. This should give better acceleration on short courses. Have fun it’s a great truck….Its a Losi….Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you Chad....What gear do you use ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea losipartshouse.com has them for $200. they also have the Speed-T for $240, so if someone wants to make some money by selling it on ebay.... [sm=idea.gif]

Yea the Desert Truck is great! LOSI'S arent hard to get parts for, almost every hobby shop carries them. Plus there are a million online stores that sell Losi.
    Losi 2.0 ~ 8T 2.0 ~ XXX-T CR ~ XXX-NT AD2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have it, it's a fun truck. the turnbuckles are kinda weak though, the rest of the parts are tough.
    Losi DT/Losi XX-4/Tamiya TA05/SC10/Tamiya 501x \"WCE\"/Yokomo YR4 M2/F-150/Blackfoot Xtreme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NY Dirt, the stock set up is 88 spur with a 16 pinion both 48 pitch. We have two of the trucks both with stock ratios. I plan on dropping the pinion down by one tooth from the stock 16 to 15 and then step up to a 3800mah battery. This should give the low to mid pull I’m looking for. What we’re trying to achieve is a constant pull through out the technical parts of the track yet still have just enough top speed to scoot through the straights with out a wild top end. The second truck we are actually changing the spur gear from the stock 88 up one size to an 89. According to the experts this should have the same affect as dropping the pinion down one size. It winds up being a simple issue of getting the parts. We found one of each….but not two of any one part. Rule of thumb with a three gear Losi diff: the lower the pinion the better the torque, the higher the spur the better the torque. If you change the pinion leave the spur along and the same goes with the spur. If you change the spur leave the pinion along. Keep it simple until you fully understand gear ratios and how they work. In most cases I find just changing the pinion does the trick. Second, step up the front shock oil to 35 or 40wt. This helps to control the wheel bounce. The truck likes to run a little light on the front and will pull the wheels with ease using a lower pinion or huge battery. Keep me informed how it goes….Chad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also run at a local track and I will tell you with the stock set-up it eats the Slash up. I ran with 2 or 3 Slash's and the could not keep up. I jumped farther, smoother and took them out on the straights. The highlight of the day was when I took out the Slash with the brushless motor. The only problem that we have found the front end shakes bad. Fix: ensure all the nuts and screws are tight on the sterring. The shock caps leak. Fix: rebuild them with new caps. These are the only real problems that we have found so far we have two that are running at a local track and they are getting some looks. The Losi DT is holding it's own even with the XXX and XXX-T. These things are a blast fun to drive and easy to control.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you....I appreciate it...!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No Problem

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey bud.....Do you have a hard time getting parts for it ???? And what kind of battery do you run in it ???
    Thanks...!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I order parts from Losi parts house http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/StoreFront or I get my LHS to order them. I use a 3000 nimh battery and I have a blast with that. A buddy of mine runs a 3300 and a 3800 nimh and he says that is run like a bat out of h-.
    If you order parts fron Losi it usually takes about three days to get them they are at a decent price the LHS may charge you more and that can take up to a week to get the parts. Hope this helps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you go to a 90T spur gear it will be close to 1/2 pinion tooth change. You saying the 32K Losi stock motor is beating the Slash 12T titan's.
    Hey Buddy -That was the most spectacular crash I\'ve ever seen , That rolling cart wheel with parts slinging out was cool...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes that is what I am saying. I have raced the Traxxas Slash and smoked it. Of course it was stock out of the box. But I also smoked a Slash that had a brushless setup.[8D] I not only out ran him in the straights but I was able to hang in the corners and also the jumps I took them with ease. I have found that the Slash is big and bulky and has a lot of body roll. The DT just squats a gets it done. I run alot of nitro and even the modified Losi buggie has trouble in some turns but the DT just gets it done. I am definetly impressed with the DT.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Of course the dt would beat a slash on a track that's because it's for all practical purposes a stadium truck. The very point of a slash is to look realistic and have a soft suspension. Some people like this because it makes the truck more challenging to drive and looks scale etc. I agree the losi would be the better performer on turning fast etc. I have never understood why people compare the losi dt and the slash, they really are nothing the same. I would think twice before running big power through one though... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8381120/tm.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like others have said, the Desert Truck is a great truck! I have a speed-t with the ball diff and a nice set of off-road tires and it does great. (Shares majority of it's parts with Desert Truck). It does a pretty good job bashing and it handles beautifully. Here is a video of my Speed-T/Desert Truck bashing

About the parts, for me, I just go to my lhs as they have tons of Losi parts. If I couldn't go to my lhs, I would probably go to either losipartshouse or www.amainhobbies.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree there is no comparision in both of the trucks. I think it has alot to do with preference kind of like chevy to a ford. My desert truck has a digital HI-Tech servo with the Futaba fast reciever and I love it. I am in the process of getting a Speed T. Once I get it I will put the DT parts on it and then I will have a brushless one. The only problem I see will be that I will have to gear it to run on the track. Thanks for your replies...Art