Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, so I killed my Losi DT tranny

I have had it two weeks, and installed the Traxxas Velineon brushless sytem into it, using the 7-Cell NiMH batteries that I had, no Lipo.

Been running awesome, so well that I have decided to sell my 4WD Traxxas S-Maxx 3.3 truck and get another electric.

As I was ripping around in the dirt today, it started making some noise, and then stopped moving. I knew enough to know that a gear had stripped. DOH!

So I pulled the entire thing apart to get to the differential. It has one metal gear, then a middle plastic gear, and then the larger plastic gear that has the differential itself I guess.

So here is what I am trying to find out...

I want to keep all my gear ratios stock. The thing has gobs of power and nice top end and even after 15 minutes of full out bashing, the motor only gets warm and the batteries are not even as hot as they used to get with the stock brushed motor.

So, I want to replace the large green gear that rides on the pinion gear, with something more durable.

1) What should I get, keeping in mind that I want the same number of teeth as stock?
    2) What part number and website can I order the shredded gear, also in metal and with the bearings installed and all that?
    3) Can I swap out the largest internal gear that has the differential piece, with something metal?

And now, the pics:

The main gear that I would like to perform a preemptive strike against and replace now with something stronger:

The offending gear, also showing the larger plastic gear on what I guess is the differential itself that I would love to replace now if possible, again, to be preemptive and save me the trouble later:

A close up of said gear:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If it is too much money and effort, I will just get a Traxxas Slash and throw the brushless system in that, and possibly bring over the Losi 2.4Ghz receiver. Is that possible?

I will keep searching in the meantime, but I am sure I am not the first person to throw a brushless system into a Losi Desert Truck 1/10 and fry a gear. haha

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ok, so I killed my Losi DT tranny

this is just my minimal beginner experience talking but that gear you stripped (the idler).. I did the exact same thing within like 10 runs of my rustler. I replaced it with this metal gear (I have a rustler xl5)

I initially thought a spur gear (Big green gear) being metal would solve all my problems and make it stronger but that spur gear is meant to strip before any others (and its a breeze to replace). I can only speak from my minimal experience with my xl5 rustler.. I got a ton of help from this form though so hang in there and one of these guys will get to you .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, so from what I can see, the idler gear is the usual suspect. I will leave the green gear alone and just try to find a metal idler gear.

Anyone have a part number or a website that carries them? Can I just get one made for the XXX-T?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That gear is for Traxxas only. It WILL NOT fit on the Losi. best bet is to buy a couple idler gears, then boil them in water for a couple minutes. That should make them more flexiable and more durable. Also try putting oil in the diffs. 7k would be good.
    Losi 2.0 ~ 8T 2.0 ~ XXX-T CR ~ XXX-NT AD2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes you can get 1 for the XXX-T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Yes you can get 1 for the XXX-T.
    A metal one? I am searching like mad and cannot find one anywhere.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, there are no metal gears for the XXX-T. Because for racing, there is really no use in putting extreme power in a truck-it makes it uncontrollable. But still, if you set up the tranny right you shouldnt have any problems. I would look into oiling the diff with diff oil, might help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Damn, that sucks. Looks like I will have to put the old motor and stuff back in and put the brushless system into a truck with a decent tranny that uses metal gears.

And how would one set it up right? I don't see anything that can be adjusted other than the slipper clutch. It's just a loose fitting case with 2 gears and a diff in it from what I can see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should loosen your slipper some to prevent stripped gears. The manual for the car should cover that in detail.
    *Compact battery box is waterproof against dust!
    Rustler, Slash, TA03F, 4Tec, Evader, X-Crawler, Cx3 heli, more?...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm.....I would add a shim or 2 to the diff. A big one, so it will decrease slop. Try that and see how it works. You can get shim kits. I was thinking of the ball diff. Sorry! BUT you can still make some adjustments, like adding diff fluid to the tranny, 5-10k. That should help and boil the idler gear to make it stronger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Hmm.....I would add a shim or 2 to the diff. A big one, so it will decrease slop. Try that and see how it works. You can get shim kits. I was thinking of the ball diff. Sorry! BUT you can still make some adjustments, like adding diff fluid to the tranny, 5-10k. That should help and boil the idler gear to make it stronger.
    I got the shim kit, but I have to order the idler gear. Nobody around here carries much Losi parts. It's all HPI and Traxxas for the most part.

So it looks like I will grab a Slash and put my brushless system in it on Friday, that seems like a cool truck and it already has the tranny to handle the power.

The Losi will be a spare truck, or something for my girlfriend to use.

Jury is still out on the S-Maxx 3.3 that I have. I want to see how well it runs and how easy it is to tune once the weather warms up.

I still find it hard to believe that nobody has a stronger idler gear, if this is a pretty common problem of it stripping.

Or will boiling it and making the slipper clutch a tad looser do the trick?

I want to be able to just run the truck and have fun and not have to rip the whole back end apart to replace the idler every 2 weeks. If it is that fragile with Brushless, it just makes sense to get a truck that has a tranny meant to handle that kind of power.

I have not even tried LiPo yet, that probably would have shredded the gear in under 5 minutes. haha

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look around and you'll find a bunch of threads about the gear boxes. Losi's are meant for racing and they don't deal well with high powered motors. Some will try to make the argument that if the trans is built correctly it will take the power. This is fiction. The Losi trans will not live long with a high powered motor and currently there are no fixes for the problem. You mentioned getting a slash. I would buy the slash and put the VXL system in it. Then take the titan and XL5 that came in the slash and use those on the Losi. I'm surprised it lasted two weeks. Most fail on the first couple of packs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get the white buggy idler gears and boil them, I have not had one of them fail yet after many runs on 7 cells and 2s. that is all you need, the other gears are fine just make sure your mesh is right on the pinion/spur and they will not fail.

LA Partshouse is a good place to get Losi parts....

Losa3079 idler gear set: XXXCR/XX Buggy
    too much power is never enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: powerslider

Get the white buggy idler gears and boil them, I have not had one of them fail yet after many runs on 7 cells and 2s. that is all you need, the other gears are fine just make sure your mesh is right on the pinion/spur and they will not fail.

That one comes with two gears in the pack. Which one is the right one to use?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: john01374

Look around and you'll find a bunch of threads about the gear boxes. Losi's are meant for racing and they don't deal well with high powered motors. Some will try to make the argument that if the trans is built correctly it will take the power. This is fiction. The Losi trans will not live long with a high powered motor and currently there are no fixes for the problem. You mentioned getting a slash. I would buy the slash and put the VXL system in it. Then take the titan and XL5 that came in the slash and use those on the Losi. I'm surprised it lasted two weeks. Most fail on the first couple of packs.

Well, I have the Traxxas Velineon brushless system already. I could drop it right in and have a "Slash VXL" in minutes. I like the idea of the XL5 ESC and Titan 550 motor in the DT though.

Great idea!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

ORIGINAL: powerslider

That one comes with two gears in the pack. Which one is the right one to use?

They are both the same gear
    too much power is never enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, the saga continues. I put the Peak Racing Raven 2 17T double modified motor back in after replacing the idler gear. I put the Velineon system into my Slash, and put the Traxxas XL5 ESC into the Desert Truck.

Truck ran great. Faster than I remember it running before I went brushless. I did click the timing ahead two clicks on the motor. But I also think that the XL5 supplied more juice, maybe due to less internal resistance, than the Novak did.

The DT would wheelie from a standstill on the lawn, stock gearing. Plenty of power to the extent that I figured that was no need to go brushless.

But the motor is getting so hot that it melted the solder on the power leads. LOL

I would put in a 7-Cell pack and go bash in the back yard, and before the battery is dead, the car stops, but the lights stay on and the steering responds and I see smoke coming off the motor. Sure enough, one or both of the power wires have come undone.

I did a great job soldering them on there, but the motor actually got hot enough that the solder melted.

So I am gonna toss this motor as I am sure I have done some damage to it.

My problem is, should I just keep using the stock motor now, or go brushless.

Brushless doubles the power, runs cooler, no maintenance, longer run times, etc...

But if I keep stripping idler gears, that is a pain to keep replacing them every couple weeks.

I did notice that the new gears are not black, but rather are tan in color. They say they are for the XXX-T, which if I remember correctly, can handle brushless power. Is this gear stronger than the stock black plastic gear? If so, do you think that getting another Velineon system or Sidewinder will be fine?

Would the Sidewinder maybe be the best, as I can adjust it so that punching the throttle is softened and not beating on those gears as much?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is the department that traxxas has over losi...
    rustler may hendel really bad...but at least you can build a bullet proof tranny!!!
    i can run my slipper as tight as i want and the tranny dosent even get up a sweat under the powerfull 6XL and mamba max
    rustler VXL all rpm\'\'d
    revo 3.3 electric conversion (under construction)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i've heard of losi, ae and duratrax all having some kind of transmission problem due to brushless power, you never hear about traxxas 272's having tranny problems, i love my pede![sm=bananahead.gif] BUY A BRUSHLESS!
    6S E-maxx - 4S slash - 2S TT-01E

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brushless always isnt faster. if your worried about stripping gears get the Novak 10.5 or 8.5. Havoc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

brushless is always faster, 540 motors from 27t to 6t are only rated for 7.2 volts max a 2s lipo, most 540-550 brushless motors will can take 3s lipo no problem, with no maintainance, way more efficent with longer run times, and it's faster a 12t might be as fast as a 4600 on the same ammount of cells, but give that 12t a week with no comm cut or new brushes... the 4600 is gonna fly right by you, the performance never diminishes, the up front payment for brushless is more, but in the long run you save so much money,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

brushless is always faster, 540 motors from 27t to 6t are only rated for 7.2 volts max a 2s lipo, most 540-550 brushless motors will can take 3s lipo no problem, with no maintainance, way more efficent with longer run times, and it's faster a 12t might be as fast as a 4600 on the same ammount of cells, but give that 12t a week with no comm cut or new brushes... the 4600 is gonna fly right by you, the performance never diminishes, the up front payment for brushless is more, but in the long run you save so much money,
    So you are saying if you bought a Novak 21.5 brushless motor if would be faster than a 12 turn hot modified motor? Most sensored brushless motors cant only accept 4-7 cells or 2s lipo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I my self would never buy a novak 21.5, it defeats one of the key points of going brushless...top speed, Keep the novak 21.5 to 10.5 aside and every other 1:10th scale brushless system will be faster then brushed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Boil the gear like you were told. This is an old nylon propeller trick to make them a little tuffer. If you can pull an easy wheelie your slipper is too tight. You can't have both speed and stop and go bashing without heat problems. I have the DT with XL-5 and 12T Titan and the best all round pinion has been 17T and 86 spur. This is for a big jump tight turns dirt track. You geared for speed on your brushed motor and paided the price to start bashing it. Plastic and metal gears give long quiet wear for tranny's that basicly run dry and no lube. Yes going brushless for racing takes alot more throttle control and restraint.
    Hey Buddy -That was the most spectacular crash I\'ve ever seen , That rolling cart wheel with parts slinging out was cool...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm... Ok, I will go look at Brushless systems today. What are your thoughts on the Castle Creations Sidewinder? Can I program the ESC to soften the "punch" so that it doesn't trash the gears as bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast