Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash must-haves / Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
dakotarayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash must-haves / Advice

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the RC car/truck world. I have a Traxxas slash on order, and would like some advice.

What are some upgrades that people would recommend?
Are there common parts that will need to be replaced?

Something else I noticed browsing through here, or maybe something I didn't notice, was the use of aluminum Integy Evolution parts? Many users have RPM and STRC, but I haven't seen many Ingety parts. Is there a reason for this? I like the way some of the parts look. I'm not sure how they perform though.

Any other advice you experienced users could give me would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
rustlerdog

Default RE: Slash must-haves / Advice

I orginally started out with Integy alloy A arms after breaking my stock A arms. I can now honestly say that was a huge mistake and I paid for it with a broken stock caster block. I also used a steel front bumper from STRC (looked cool), and I paid for that with a broken front bulkhead. Sure integy parts make the truck shiny but RPM is arguabley not only better, but in some cases its stronger, lighter (almost all cases), and absorbs more shock from impact (their material can flex) whereas the shock from impact on steel or alloy is just transfered to the next weakest part. A good rule of thumb as mentioned on these forums is to keep alluminum on your interior and flexable (or even breakable) parts around the outside so that the damage ends there (instead of passing on to a more valuable component.

Long story short, RPM parts are used in abundance for a reason, they are amazingly resilient and can take a ton of abuse.

You're hop-ups depend on your truck of course and i do not have a slash (Rusty xl-5 quickly becoming an RPM tank with a VXL brushless combo in its future )... Fuse should get to you soon enough and i have taken several of his recommendations with great success

Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
El Zilcho

If you are just running stock, you might want to keep an extra set of steering knuckles and rear hub carriers on hand. If you don't stay stock, get the RPM arms front and rear (the stock arms bind badly when dirty). Just upgrade other parts as you break them and remember that for bashing, aluminum is not really your friend. If you go brushless, be sure to keep extra pinions and spurs on hand. Stay away from Integy. I only have experience with their piggyback shocks for the Slash, but I would have been better served flushing $70 down the toilet than buying those pieces of garbage.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
hchia25
My Feedback: (1)

I upgraded my shock tower to rpm big help with all the jump the slash does. Also keep extra hubs and Castor blocks too.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
FairTax4me

Honestly I have yet to break anything on my slash except for the rear bumper mount. And I beat the snot out of this thing. I have bent the caster block king pins and A arm hinge pins numerous times.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
86waterpumper

I got the rpm spur/pinion cover becuase it doesn't have a hole in it like the stock one does. You could just cover the stock one with tape or something though. The only thing after alot of beating that i have hurt on my slash is one of the rims. I cracked a bit of it, they are pretty thin on the sides. I think this is a truck though that you don't have to have tons of spares. First thing to do for most will probably be the titan haha
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
rustlerdog

Fair,
Have you tried the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVAH4&P=ML]Titanium Hing Pins[/link] from lunsford? I picked up a set for my rusty and installed them throughout the front half of the truck (Just replaced everything in the rear of the truck last week so im not in the mood to do that before I get in some more drive time ). The feel of these pins compared to hardened chrome, or traxxas replacements is night and day. Handling them with needle nose pliers leaves no marks and they fit all my RPM arms, caster blocks and carriers very snuggly.

I'll give it some time and some crashes and see how it pans out.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
FairTax4me

I was thinking about getting some but I was told they're designed to be bendable so you can just bend them back if they get bent in a wreck. Let me know how they work out for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
dakotarayne

Thanks for all the advice. You just saved me a few bucks. I will probable go with mostly stock, and replace as needed with RPM or STRC parts. I am looking at the brushless motor system, and that looks promising. I'm not going to go with Lipos though.

If there is anymore advice, keep it coming.

Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 AM
dakotarayne

Another Question. Does anyone in here run with a stick radio over the pistol grip type?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: dakotarayne

Another Question. Does anyone in here run with a stick radio over the pistol grip type?
Nope I dont. It would be too confusing for me!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
JJay03

I got the titanium hinge pins in my rustler I havnt put the caster pins in yet though. I just got the clips for the outer a-arms pins had to buy a traxxas kit to get them. Do you know what size e-clips the caster pins use?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 PM
dakotarayne

What is the advantage to installing aftermarket CVDs?

Also, do the STRC hub carriers and front knuckles need bigger bearings?

I am also looking at going to a 2.4ghz system right away. Does anyone have any advantages for Pistol grip or stick style controllers? I used to fly RC airplanes, and am sort of used to the stick style, but Im not opposed to trying the pistol grip. Probably boils down to personal preference.
Last question for now... Would anyone recommend aftermarket shocks? I saw that someone was disappointed with the piggyback shocks, any reason why?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 AM
johnnyr135

Hi guys I bought a Slash and hit a curb and broke off the passenger side wheel. The A Arm is ok but it broke the part after that, where can I buy relacement parts and what are they called? Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 AM
shaunmichaeljohnson

NEVER EVER BUY INTEGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

upgrades...
caster blocks!!
bb carriers (front and rear)
a arms

and i think that's all of the MUST haves.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 AM
FairTax4me

What is the advantage to installing aftermarket CVDs?

Also, do the STRC hub carriers and front knuckles need bigger bearings?
I am also looking at going to a 2.4ghz system right away. Does anyone have any advantages for Pistol grip or stick style controllers? I used to fly RC airplanes, and am sort of used to the stick style, but Im not opposed to trying the pistol grip. Probably boils down to personal preference.
Last question for now... Would anyone recommend aftermarket shocks? I saw that someone was disappointed with the piggyback shocks, any reason why?
1. None really.
2. They should use the stock 5x11x4mm size.
3. No advantage to either, just personal preference and most people just use what their first car came with and get used to it.
4. Traxxas Big bores are good replacements (aluminum). I still have no idea what the big deal is with piggy back shocks, besides for looks maybe, but beyond that I don't see how they're worth they extra money.

Hi guys I bought a Slash and hit a curb and broke off the passenger side wheel. The A Arm is ok but it broke the part after that, where can I buy relacement parts and what are they called? Thanks
It's called your Local Hobby Shop.

OR

Hit up traxxas.com. Then go to the knowledge base page and have a look at the exploded views for the Slash. Find the part that you broke and write down the part number, which will be next to the parts picture.
Then go to Towerhobbies.com and enter the part number in the search bar. Add to cart, proceed to checkout.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM
dakotarayne

I think the biggest reason I said no lipos was that I was unfamiliar with them. I went to maxamps.com and saw a few deals, they have a combo for the slash,
8000HV 7.4V kit with charger for about 355$. For bashing, a 40-48 min run time would be pretty good. Any Input?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
dakotarayne

I'm just full of questions. I appreciate all of your patience.

On the Proline beadlock rims, when I buy them and they cost around 20.50$, they are labeled front and rear. Do I get a pair of rims for 20.50, or do I have to buy two per front/rear?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
munro300

Usually they come two in a pack unless otherwise stated, you need one set for rear and one set for the front.
Where are you getting the epic bead locks for $20.50?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
dakotarayne

Sorry, 20.95. On rcplanet.com, they have proline epic beadlocks, in assorted colors.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
El Zilcho

MaxxAmps seems completely out of touch with their pricing. $355 for a charger and 1 battery is insane, I don't care how good of a charger or battery it is. I've never used their Lipos (or any Lipos for that matter), but I have been less than impressed with their Nimh packs. If you're going to run Nimh just get some packs from Promatch. I'm running the matched 7 cell side by side 4600's and they are by far the best batts I've ever used. My Slash has the VXL system and stock gearing and I get a solid 30 minutes of runtime on a very loose figure 8 track with a crossover that requires lots of throttle.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
dakotarayne

As much as I don't want to pay 355 for a charger and lipo battery, I haven't found too many online sites selling lipos. Those that do are tailored for Helis or boats... I am still in the decision mode though, I haven't ruled out Minh packs.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
JJay03

I got my trakpower from tower.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:40 PM
grimgard

ORIGINAL: dakotarayne

As much as I don't want to pay 355 for a charger and lipo battery, I haven't found too many online sites selling lipos. Those that do are tailored for Helis or boats... I am still in the decision mode though, I haven't ruled out Minh packs.
Tower hobbies will help you out. They even have phone service.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
dakotarayne

Tower hobbies has a few good deals. Are there any other sites out there with good brands of lipos over 5400HV? Also, what does everyone carry and charge their lipos in? Is the bag some of them come with good enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.