Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HSP Brontosaurus Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:36 PM
brushlessone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSP Brontosaurus Truck

gday all, im wondering about these HSP Brontosaurus 1:10 trucks as i can get one fairly cheap brand new ..can anyone tell me about them , pros? cons? , they have alloy upgrades.. and handle brushless setups prety well from what ive been told and seen on vids . are they a copy of any other brands truck?? does anyone own one ?,do you thrash it ? what do you think? lol

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-1-10-CAR-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-03-2009, 10:40 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: HSP Brontosaurus Truck

pors, nothing, cons, everything. lol. stick with a name brand, those chinese truck are always trouble and not worth it. stick with say a traxxas or associated or losi. You wont be dissapointed but with that truck you will.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, unless your budget absolutely precludes it, stick to a name brand. Parts will be easier to find, initial quality is higher, support is easier to find, etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 PM
brushlessone

for 150$ Aussie as a park basher its not much to spend. and out of that il take the whole radio system and motor ESC out and flog them off to someone and make back 30 or 40 $ so it will end up being prety cheap. not relay wanting to buy something worth any more than that as im not goign to race it or nothing just rip up a bit of lawn and dirt , i already have a few brushless setups laying around and my own radio gear
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a park basher it's fine, as long as you know what you're buying. For the price Himoto cars/trucks are pretty good.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 AM
brushlessone

yerp the himoto are only nitro tho, and im sick of oly greasy tuning crapola ( i own a hobao hyper7) lol, plus lipo and brushles = beating nitros ass:P
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I personally would never buy that.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 AM
pede_187

If you buy any of the himotos, I would NOT buy the HSP rc's. They just came out with 2 new rc's. The Mega E [link=http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himotora/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=1286&=SID]Buggy[/link] and Mega E [link=http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himotora/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=1285&=SID]Truck[/link] . And parts support is not a problem at all. I buy all my parts from the dealer above, and I usually get my parts in 3 days.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Tricksligger

I dont know how long it will be able to handle a brushless setup. Something will melt or liquaify or strip for sure.

I dont know what the quality of those things are now but about 3 years ago I knew a couple guys that bought something close to that. Both ran for about 20 minutes and something was toasted. Not even from crashing. Slipper clutches melted into spur gears. Shocks locked up for no reason. Wheel hex connection just stripped like the plastic was made from recycled toilet paper.

I wouldnt even suggest it as a good park basher. These things are bad for the Hobby. People get so frustraded fixing and searching for parts all the time, they get a bad taste in thier mouth for the Hobby in general. If they just knew if they would of spent $100 more the experience would of been much more pleasant.

If you like to troubleshoot, tinker, and wait on the mail 90% of the time and drive 10% then that is the truck for you!!

How about this Griswald? You give me half the money you were gonna spend. We will go in the parkinglot Ill kick you in the nuts and we'll call it a day. Quote from Vegas Vacation.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM
brushlessone

i can get parts no worries, the nitro tyranoaurus uses ther same towers , shocks , swing arms and othr small breakable parts wich are all over ebay , i also import from china, and i might jus grab soem parts from there. , they sell this truck as a rtr brushless aswell so it must handle it ?, the drive shaft and how it attaches to the spur gear looks liek a tt01 copy, im hoping it is so i can use some tamiya spurs .
Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 PM
brushlessone

i found they actualy have a site too. check
it out

http://www.hispeedmodel.com/
Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
brushlessone

i found smartech using the same chassis and driving gear same allot parts . it was a onroad car wich was in my local hobby shop ...
Old 02-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Gesagen
My Feedback: (1)

I just got one of these to play around with. This thing screams... We still have some snow on the ground here, but it rips up the hard snow then tears out when it hits the grass area.
I got mine from the same link as msg #1, but I got the brushless and alum upgraded RTR version.Total cost after shipping & VAT was under 200 bucks.
So far, no complaints & I've flipped it a few times now & not a scratch on it. Heres another link:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1735.html Has a nice vid of it as well.
Time will tell on durability, but having a blast so far & no broken parts yet.

Gesagen
Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM
KyoshoFTW

i dont wanna be debbie downer but smartech is junk too [:'(] the first car i had was a smartech and lets just say the first time i beat on the thing...i lost little parts, i.e. shocks, shock towers, ballstuds...oh yes and a full rim and tire, and no im not exaggerating...i was pissed but we got some good laughs out of it ....long story short i vowed never to get another off brand because ultimately your gunna spend more money in the long run. just save and get the good stuff the hop up market is bigger, parts are more accesible and there is a bigger fan base for tips, tricks and tuning advice...good luck with whatever you get! no offense...but the pics look like it should be featured on MTV cribs or "pimp my ride" with those bling'd out spinners
Old 02-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

If you can get parts for it easily, go for it. At the very least, change to some thicker shock oil and you will have a decent 4WD brushless truck that runs on a single battery pack. The guy in the video said it has ball differentials, but the description on the site states bevel gear diffs, so I would expect them go out first. That and bent shock shafts.

I've seen lesser trucks for more money. [&:]
Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Alpha Male

are they a copy of any other brands truck??
I think it is the same truck as the Dynamite Exceed.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Gesagen
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Alpha Male

are they a copy of any other brands truck??
I think it is the same truck as the Dynamite Exceed.
It looks to be. However I got the Brontosaurus Pro version. It's not so toyish looking as the other versions. Don't get me wrong, just because I bought one, I'm not saying it's the best thing out there, it just allows me to finish my old restore on my RC10T which is a much better machine.
It's brushless, fast, & durable. It was about 40 degrees F here the other day & I accidentally slammed the corner of my wooden shed. I thought for sure there was going to be flying pieces of plastic flying everywhere. To my surprise, just a few light scuff marks. Nothing broken, bent, etc & I hit it going almost full tilt. That there speaks for itself.
Am I impressed, you betcha! As far as the future with it goes, time will tell....
Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 PM
brushlessone

after playing with mine for a few days around the big yard my dog loves chasing it .. ive done a few small jumps and no damage.. overall for the price its not a bad truck and spares are easily found online or ebay. there is also hop up parts .. alot of the nitro tyrannosaurus parts will fit .. the alloy towers and swing arms knuckles and all that .. so for the price i paid im prety impresed with it.. wonder if it will handle a 10T brushless motor lol a might rebuild the bevel difs with some real grease and see how they hold up .
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Alpha Male

wonder if it will handle a 10T brushless motor lol a might rebuild the bevel difs with some real grease and see how they hold up.
I definitely would not go with a powerful brushless. The Velineon will probably work well.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM
brushlessone

i run a 10 Turn brushless in my tt01 tamiya on 14.4 votls . thats hold up well never had any diff problems... i mgith pull this HSP apart and see what sort of quality we are dealing with inside the diffs .. see if they will handle some grunt through them. overall they run ok stock with a decent battery behind them . i want more speed tho .. always do

Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM
brushlessone

after a little more research i found out the nitro version tyranosaurus truck with the .18 motor in it uses the same diffs and casings so maybe they will hold up with some grunt
Old 03-12-2009, 01:01 AM
OldNick

I own one of these.

It has the brushless motor. I think they struggle to handle it. I may actually power limit the whole machine.

It took me about 5 minutes of running on a fully charged battery to strip the REAR Diff main bevel gear and damage the driver gear. I was driving it pretty hard, but the power is there. I am getting them under warranty, but if it happens again I will buy three, then give up.

In both diffs there is a lot of play all through: shafts, gears etc. The diff mechanism and thus the main gear have huge slop in the diff housing, even though the front one is shimmed. This will lead to stripping under any stress. I am going to try to up the shimming.

When I opened the FRONT diff, there were pieces of tooth metal in the grease. One was about 5mm long and 1mm across: a sizeable piece. The gears are in perfect shape. Blowed if I know how that's happened but if this is new (it was all packed up and dead clean) then QC is up to mud.

I cannot find the Driver Gear part number. It is simply not listed in the parts list for the Bront. There are other cars that have a similar item, but is shows it as having a shaft. Mine does not.

So overall so far I have had 5 minutes of fun....and a week's wait for the next 5? I hope not.

SO far the chassis and body have stood up well, I gave a couple of jumps and once ran into a tree, and have seen no sign of damage. But the drive train seems sloppy and weak.

If people are having vastly different experiences, then QC _is_ up to mud. That is probably the trouble.

EDIT: I do have to add that all the other parts seem very readliy available.

Nick