Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

duratrax evader ext

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 AM
ethanwillson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratrax evader ext

Im thinkin on buying a evader ext, Is it a good truck? who has the lowest prices? and what are some alternatives? Is there a big line of aftermarket parts for it?

thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: duratrax evader ext

I think Tower has it for $119....
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 AM
Budget Monty

It is a great driving truck. The parts on the evader vehicles are a bit fragile, but the truck has a great advantage over the evader buggy, the body covers alot of the fragile parts on the truck. The rear bulkhead is kinda fragile but easily modded to be stronger, or an aluminum replacement is available I believe, but that defeats the purpous of buying a low budget truck IMO since the aluminum parts for the Evader vehicles are ridiculously expensive. It would be my recommendation to step up to the next level up Evader truck at $150 though. You get full ball bearings, better shocks, a faster motor and a better ESC. Very well worth the extra $30! I would avoid the buggy alltogether, the shock towers are like peanut brittle on these cars, but the truck has them protected by the body so it is a non-issue.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 AM
dacaur

or just get a traxxas rustler....
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM
ethanwillson

budget monty, are you talking about the evader st???

Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
ScottStaypuff

The EXT is made with "Magnaflex" plastic which is much more flexible than the plastic used on the ST. It should hold up to abuse much better. The downside is it won't hold the suspension geometry as well for racing (who competitvely races EXT's though???). I say go for it for a backyard basher, if you like it, find a bearing set as your first upgrade then maybe a cheap brushless system when you get the need for speed. Castle Sidewinder is great and I've read some good things about EZ-Run.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM
evader8

right now on ebay u can get a brand new ext for 85$ a GREAT deal, check it out.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: ethanwillson

Actually, I was using that as my reference, but as the last poster stated, I may have been misinformed that the EXT uses the same plastic as the ST. That would make for a much better truck! I sold my Evader Buggy (BX) because I could just no longer deal with how fragile the shock towers were, I was afraid to drive it. I would order shock towers 3 at a time front and rear! I have had many buggies, and this is the only one that I had this issue with. My buddy has a BX still and will be glad to hear that the EXT/EXB uses better shock towers!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:26 PM
ethanwillson

so the plastic on the ext is better than the st? Or the other way around? Im really not too worried about the plastic breaking because I probally just replace them with aluminum parts if there are any available for it. i plan on just using it for bashing in the backyard.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
ScottStaypuff

so the plastic on the ext is better than the st? Or the other way around? Im really not too worried about the plastic breaking because I probally just replace them with aluminum parts if there are any available for it. i plan on just using it for bashing in the backyard.
For bashing the EXT will be a very good choice, I played with one at the hobby shop and the plastic should bend instead of break if you wreck. Also the gear diff is way less maintenance and should handle brushless better. The ST has full ball bearings in its favor, but you can get a set for the EXT if you want pretty cheap these days.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
ethanwillson

there goin for $90 on ebay. I just checked, Im lookin for somethin bigger to play with other than my mini-t, somethin my brothers t-maxx can't run over too easily lol.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
evader8

then it is perfect i guess, get brushless and go flyin past him and his t-maxx then see the look on his face
Old 02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
dacaur

if you don't want to get run over by a t-maxx, a low to the ground stadium truck isnt the way to go, maby a stampede or something like that would be better.... That is, I'm assuming he literally runs over the top of your truck....
Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 PM
IloveMYxt2

I had the EXT and it was a great truck. Very tough truck but the stock motor is pathetic. It WILL go out on you and the stock ESC cant handle a higher turn motor. The stock motor is, I think, 20 turn. I put a 27 turn and the ESC would overheat in 5 minutes.

If your looking to upgrade the motor and ESC, then get it. For the price, its a tough truck and you can bash it pretty hard.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: Budget Monty

Actually, I was using that as my reference, but as the last poster stated, I may have been misinformed that the EXT uses the same plastic as the ST. That would make for a much better truck! I sold my Evader Buggy (BX) because I could just no longer deal with how fragile the shock towers were, I was afraid to drive it. I would order shock towers 3 at a time front and rear! I have had many buggies, and this is the only one that I had this issue with. My buddy has a BX still and will be glad to hear that the EXT/EXB uses better shock towers!
LOL i had the same issue with my old Evader.........broke 3 shock towers in a collision with a Savage
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM
ethanwillson

well i really like the stadium trucks, and yes he literally runs my mini-t over with his stampede and t-maxx. I just want something bigger and faster with a brushless motor to outrun him, I could make the mini-t faster but i can get a new duratrax for the price of a brushless motor for the mini-t. The more trucks I have the better, lol.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Budget Monty

well i really like the stadium trucks, and yes he literally runs my mini-t over with his stampede and t-maxx. I just want something bigger and faster with a brushless motor to outrun him, I could make the mini-t faster but i can get a new duratrax for the price of a brushless motor for the mini-t. The more trucks I have the better, lol.
Hmmm, I would suggest maybe getting the EXT, a bearing set, and the Castle Sidewinder 5700 combo. Youd be close to $220 total, and have a pretty decent truck it sounds like! I liked my evader outside of the fragile parts, but it sounds like that is taken care of with the new EXB/EXT rigs!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
dacaur

or get a rustler VXL for $250, brushless out the gate, comes with bearings and an all metal tranny.... how long do you think an evaders plastic gears will last on brushless power? If you want a brushless vehicle that can actually handle brushless power at the lowest possible cost, the traxxas VXL's are the way to go....
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 PM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

i gave a ext away for christmas(pre tested it tho fordurability), held up great! may sell my t-maxx and get me one!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: dacaur

or get a rustler VXL for $250, brushless out the gate, comes with bearings and an all metal tranny.... how long do you think an evaders plastic gears will last on brushless power? If you want a brushless vehicle that can actually handle brushless power at the lowest possible cost, the traxxas VXL's are the way to go....

Not a bad suggestion, I would consider it.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: dacaur

yeah i don't think i'd be putting any high power motor in the stock evader tranny
Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Budget Monty

My buddy just got his MM/5700 system in his evader BX tonight. It was too fast to run tonight (It had rained hours earlier, and the ground was still a tad wet). We could not keep it from looping out. And I dont just mean "It was really fast", we literally stopped driving it because it was unmanagable on a 6C 3600 NiMh. Hope to get a dry run in soon! I guess we will see how the car holds up!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 AM
ethanwillson

keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 PM
fuller46350

hey ive had an evader for about 6 months i got a trinity colbalt 27 turn motor put it on and no my esc is acting funny. like won't go in reverse and it has a very short range compared to what it used to be????? anyone have any ideas
Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
EvaderST00

my evader st was my first real rc truck and i luv it. its very durable it takes more abuse then emaxx ever did. i did break the rear shock tower wheich i replaced with a metal one and i striped the servo gears other then that i havnt touched a thing. my i suggest the slash? i got my slash this summer and ive hit curbs, light poles, other cars etc and this thing is a tank! i dunno what traxxas made it out of but wow its strong also the slashs tranny is brushless ready unlike the evader. why not upgrade to the evader st?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.