RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Reply
Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
  #1
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

I'm really not wanting to get any NiMH batteries this time around so I'm going to try LiPo for my VXL rustler. Has anybody tried one of these yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160317882779

GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
  #2
eaterofdog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: x, FL
Posts: 540
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

As far as buying cheap lipos go, they can be a good deal for some people. You'll need to be careful to never run them to flat and to never pull too many amps, cheap lipos won't take any abuse. And you should be willing to make solder repairs as the balance leads will eventually break off. Otherwise they will be fine for a while. They only last half as long as good cells, but they cost 1/4 - 1/3 as much.
eaterofdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
  #3
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

I bought an alarm to go on the balance ports during a run that will sound once it reaches 3.4v on any cell, hopefully that will prevent me from draining it past safe. And I really don't mind soldering, been doing it for decades!

I just bought one of these batteries and will report back with anything pertinent.

One last Q: In your opinion, At 7.4v 3000mAh 30C, would this battery be punchy or like any other 7.2 3000mAh NiMH?

Thanks for your input. [sm=thumbup.gif]
GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
  #4
kistner
 
kistner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 1,576
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

I was reading the specs, what the heck does this mean:
Quote:
Please do not set up the low-voltage protection when running the hobby.
kistner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
  #5
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: kistner

I was reading the specs, what the heck does this mean:
Quote:
Please do not set up the low-voltage protection when running the hobby.
Haha I'll email and ask!
GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
  #6
newjak
 
newjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cheswold, DE
Posts: 66
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

As far as buying cheap lipos go, they can be a good deal for some people. You'll need to be careful to never run them to flat and to never pull too many amps, cheap lipos won't take any abuse. And you should be willing to make solder repairs as the balance leads will eventually break off. Otherwise they will be fine for a while. They only last half as long as good cells, but they cost 1/4 - 1/3 as much.

Well, you can't run brand name lipos flat either or pull to many amps or abuse them. This lame argument gets played out over and over in many forums. The part about them not lasting long heavily depends on how you treat them. I have over 40 different lipos in use right now between airplanes ,helis, cars/trucks some are over 3 years old with many cycles on them and they're still going strong. I've had only 3 lipos out of more than 50 fail. 2 were Thunder power and 1 no-name

Balance leads falling off....maybe
newjak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
  #7
fusebmx13
 
fusebmx13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: florissant, MO
Posts: 3,715
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

The only reason balance leads fall off is because people move them around to much and the wires break.
fusebmx13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
  #8
Druss
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB, CANADA
Posts: 7,441
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

From my own use, and I also have a lot of experience using lipos from my helis, the ones I stay away from are Mystery brand. Every single one of the 4 I had puffed on me. Always charged with a TP1010C and 210 balancer too.
Druss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM
  #9
Matt_Gruizinga
 
Matt_Gruizinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 784
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

those will be fine, but i think you could have gotten a better deal off this-http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8578&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_2S1P_20C_ (if for some reason it doesn't work just copy and paste to a search engine, it should be a zippy 7.4v lipo
Matt_Gruizinga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
  #10
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

I bookmarked it.

What about chargers? I have one that came with my honeybee king II, is there a reason it wouldn't work or is it just slower?

One of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260358154321

Thanks guys.
GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 AM
  #11
Ttam Says Blarg
 
Ttam Says Blarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA
Posts: 5,820
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Looks like you have to hook it up to an external power supply no lcd and how do you plug in your lipo?
Ttam Says Blarg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 AM
  #12
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Better description: http://www.raidentech.com/es23ce711lip.html

GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 AM
  #13
eaterofdog
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: x, FL
Posts: 540
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: newjak
Well, you can't run brand name lipos flat either or pull to many amps or abuse them. This lame argument gets played out over and over in many forums. The part about them not lasting long heavily depends on how you treat them. I have over 40 different lipos in use right now between airplanes ,helis, cars/trucks some are over 3 years old with many cycles on them and they're still going strong. I've had only 3 lipos out of more than 50 fail. 2 were Thunder power and 1 no-name

Balance leads falling off....maybe
Sure dude, a dirt cheap hong kong lipo is just as good as a $100 plus high end lipo, right? After all, they are both rectangular.

eaterofdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM
  #14
newjak
 
newjak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cheswold, DE
Posts: 66
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Quote:
ORIGINAL: eaterofdog


Quote:
ORIGINAL: newjak
Well, you can't run brand name lipos flat either or pull to many amps or abuse them. This lame argument gets played out over and over in many forums. The part about them not lasting long heavily depends on how you treat them. I have over 40 different lipos in use right now between airplanes ,helis, cars/trucks some are over 3 years old with many cycles on them and they're still going strong. I've had only 3 lipos out of more than 50 fail. 2 were Thunder power and 1 no-name

Balance leads falling off....maybe
Sure dude, a dirt cheap hong kong lipo is just as good as a $100 plus high end lipo, right? After all, they are both rectangular.

I don't want to get into a swordfight with you but enlighten me as to which lipos are made outside of China or korea. Many not all brands are Chineese lipos with their own label slapped on.
newjak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
  #15
Slo-V Flyer
 
Slo-V Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,344
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Quote:
ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

I bought an alarm to go on the balance ports during a run that will sound once it reaches 3.4v on any cell, hopefully that will prevent me from draining it past safe. And I really don't mind soldering, been doing it for decades!

I just bought one of these batteries and will report back with anything pertinent.

One last Q: In your opinion, At 7.4v 3000mAh 30C, would this battery be punchy or like any other 7.2 3000mAh NiMH?

Thanks for your input. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I will hazard an educated guess the 7.4c 3000 mah 30C lipo will have better performance overall. That's about 90 amps continuous compared to roughly 40 amps continuous from a Nimh (in most cases 40-45 amps for a short time before heating up goooood). So if you were to punch the throttle, and then compare top speed for several minutes, the lipo would mosy likely win out. Of course, this all depends on what setup you're running them in. Either will get destroyed if used improperly in a heavy heavy monster truck with amp hungry motors.
Slo-V Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
  #16
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

I bought an alarm to go on the balance ports during a run that will sound once it reaches 3.4v on any cell, hopefully that will prevent me from draining it past safe. And I really don't mind soldering, been doing it for decades!

I just bought one of these batteries and will report back with anything pertinent.

One last Q: In your opinion, At 7.4v 3000mAh 30C, would this battery be punchy or like any other 7.2 3000mAh NiMH?

Thanks for your input. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I will hazard an educated guess the 7.4c 3000 mah 30C lipo will have better performance overall. That's about 60 amps continuous compared to roughly 40 amps continuous from a Nimh (in most cases 40-45 amps for a short time before heating up goooood). So if you were to punch the throttle, and then compare top speed for several minutes, the lipo would mosy likely win out. Of course, this all depends on what setup you're running them in. Either will get destroyed if used improperly in a heavy heavy monster truck with amp hungry motors.
Just a stock VXL rustler to chase my dog around the yard with.

Will the charger I have work for that battery? http://www.raidentech.com/es23ce711lip.html
GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
  #17
Lilredmachine
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Shanklin, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 1,929
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

Sure dude, a dirt cheap hong kong lipo is just as good as a $100 plus high end lipo, right? After all, they are both rectangular.
Pull the sticker off a Maxamps lipo and put it on a cheapy off E-bay and you wouldn't notice the difference. Very few companies actually produce lipo cells. Companies like Maxamps, Neu, CBP, Pro-Tek etc. buy them from various suppliers and then build them in house. You might notice a 0.000001% difference in performance because of how the pack is built and balanced, but the chances are the cells have come from the same factory in either China or Korea.

Maxamps have long been famed for selling crap cells at high end prices, and when actually tested are beaten by packs from generally anywhere else even remotely reputable. Recently they have been getting a bit better in terms of performance but they are still massively overpriced and overrated.
Lilredmachine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 PM
  #18
Slo-V Flyer
 
Slo-V Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,344
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Hmm yet another example of an off brand lipo that weighs more than the usual "brand name" battery of same type. I have a Maxamps 3s 5000 20C that weighs only 12 oz, yet this 3000 mah weighs in at 14 oz. And last night I was looking at a Zippy 3s 5000 or similar and that thing was twice the weight at 24 oz! So obviously I'm either missing something here, or there IS some kind of difference.

Also, as for all cells being made in China, I'm sure that's the case as with most electronics. However I am sure I remember seeing tests done on several brands of Lipos, where usually the "brand name" lipos came out ahead in performance by a good enough margin, though maybe not to justify their insane price tag. Just because all batteries are made in China/Korea, does not mean there can't be quality and tolerance differences that each distributor would require for their particular builds.
Slo-V Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
  #19
GreenRacer
Thread Starter
 
GreenRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TX
Posts: 595
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?

Will this charger I have work for that battery? http://www.raidentech.com/es23ce711lip.html

Energyec 7.4V 3000mAh 25C,burst 30C

Or do I need to buy another charger?
GreenRacer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 AM
  #20
Lilredmachine
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Shanklin, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 1,929
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Has anybody had any experience with one of these lipos?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Hmm yet another example of an off brand lipo that weighs more than the usual "brand name" battery of same type. I have a Maxamps 3s 5000 20C that weighs only 12 oz, yet this 3000 mah weighs in at 14 oz. And last night I was looking at a Zippy 3s 5000 or similar and that thing was twice the weight at 24 oz! So obviously I'm either missing something here, or there IS some kind of difference.

Also, as for all cells being made in China, I'm sure that's the case as with most electronics. However I am sure I remember seeing tests done on several brands of Lipos, where usually the "brand name" lipos came out ahead in performance by a good enough margin, though maybe not to justify their insane price tag. Just because all batteries are made in China/Korea, does not mean there can't be quality and tolerance differences that each distributor would require for their particular builds.
We went over that, you got your conversion wrong. The Zippy weighed 386 grams, that is about 13oz, not 24oz. There are always small differences in weight, a lot of the stats on hobby city are incorrect in terms of size and weight by the way.

You missed my point about brand name and off brand lipos. Brand names mean nothing in lipo, none of these companies make their own cells. They source them and build the packs but all the cells are produced in Korea and China by a few companies. Enerland are considered to be a reputable make of good cells for example, and they are a Korean company.

Some companies disclose the source of their lipo cells, others do not. Maxamps are infamous for not disclosing their source, apparently as they are worried that others will muscle in on their 'sweet' lipos. Of course, most in the know suspect that this is actually because they use crap cells that put out nothing like what they claim (and that has been tested many times).
Lilredmachine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:19 AM.