Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash running with sc10

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM
NjBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slash running with sc10

ORIGINAL: wookie_racer

ORIGINAL: NjBasher

personally the slash started the whole rc corr racing

that is not true...there was a class way back in the day that did the same thing with slightly smaller trucks...i think they called it hard corr, i dont remember. then back when the losi xx-4 came out they made a corr body to make the xx-4 a 4wd truck, then they did the less scale desert truck. traxxas didnt start anything, they rekindled interest.
i would love to see a pic
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Barber420

I'm gonna say that the SC10 will whoop the Slash up and down the track and laugh, 'cause it's not even runnin at 100%! Traxxas aren't for racing, I'm sure someone with a Revo will chime in, but I don't care. Traxxas are starter RC's. An AE anything is going to whoop on a Traxxas anything all day, it's just a given. At least you can jump your Traxxas a foot higher without breaking anything though.
+1
I can tell your a true AE fan.
A slash and SC10 are like comparing apples and oranges.
A dont see why a modified slash could run with the SC10's, because instead of putting all that money into one vechicle you could just buy an SC10.
The slash class isnt going anywhere, heck a guy at the track offered to buy a brand new limited edition slash for me for my B44. I decided to keep the B44.
IF I want a slash I'll just buy one.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 AM
ramp4ge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the SC10 going to run in a Slash spec class when it comes as a kit with no electronics? I mean, you race the two "stock out of the box", the SC10's not going anywhere because it's a bunch of parts on a tree.

Now, if the SC10 runs in a MOD class, then hell, all the gates are open. Slash + Thundertech chassis + handout motor/batts/tires = anyone's game. You lower the Slash's CG and I'd be willing it bet it'll be as planted as a stadium truck, with a longer wheelbase.

You can't compare a stock Slash to a stock SC10 because there's no such thing as a stock SC10.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

that is not true...there was a class way back in the day that did the same thing with slightly smaller trucks...i think they called it hard corr, i dont remember. then back when the losi xx-4 came out they made a corr body to make the xx-4 a 4wd truck, then they did the less scale desert truck. traxxas didnt start anything, they rekindled interest.
i would love to see a pic
http://image2-5.rcuniverse.com/e1/fo...72/Sq45825.jpg

there are little to no pics of the early classes, they where there though.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Budget Monty

He didn't say it was the first CORR style truck, he said it started the craze, and it clearly did. The other offerings you mentioned had no where near the following of the slash, and started a craze of no kind. The real race classes started after the slash was introduced. I dont ever remember seeing race classes like this before that.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: supamagician
Do you guys think a Slash with BL/LiPo, RPM arms, Aluminum Big Bore Shocks, Pro-line Switch wheels/tires will be able to keep up (performance wise) with an sc10 on the track, and still be pretty indestructible when bashing?
If past matchups are any indication of future performance, no. But the only way to know for sure is to try it, if the track is designed appropriately the Slash might have a chance (ie. water, impossible jumps, etc.) If the Slash is left stock and waterproof, and if the jumps are such that any other vehicle will risk breakage, the Slash might end up at a sizeable advantage. It's partly the job of a good track designer to try to keep a class competitive along these lines, rather than risk the class turning into a one-sided, boring class which will end up as the next 'class of the month', here today and gone tommorow.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM
calvino

I guess when you talk about the abuse in racing, if you look at a track with jumps everywhere you can rightfully say 'ooh well thats hard on the car.' Yes that is true, but if you land the jumps right, you can keep on rolling, if you land wrong, thats how you break parts. It all goes back to "you crash you brake." IMO the SC10 seems like a very good car, its based off the T4, an extremely popular/proven racing platform, throw some awesome equipment in, and you have one heck of a racer. I have seen vids of the SC10 and it looks alot more planted and nimble than the slash that looks more like a big tank with tall gearing trying to get around. I guess thats just my $.02 on it all [8D]
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: calvino
I guess when you talk about the abuse in racing, if you look at a track with jumps everywhere you can rightfully say 'ooh well thats hard on the car.' Yes that is true, but if you land the jumps right, you can keep on rolling, if you land wrong, thats how you break parts. It all goes back to "you crash you brake." IMO the SC10 seems like a very good car, its based off the T4, an extremely popular/proven racing platform, throw some awesome equipment in,
You do something like the figure 8 with crossing jumps in the center, jumps over water, mid-air collisions are almost inevitable especially if it's a club race with lots of newbies. Having a vehicle that doesn't get 'knocked out of the race' with a single collision would become a necessity.

Likewise you could make jumps which are impossible to land right ie. with a 'pit of death' immediately following the jump, you can force them to take the jump at enough speed to get trapped in the pit, and then you can design the jump such that at that speed, it's near-impossible to 'land right' (ie. so steep and so much pitch-spin there is no way one can compensate.) Landing in the 'pit of death' imposes a time penalty, waiting for a turn marshal to remove your car and put it back on the track. Taking the jump fast enough to bypass the pit means that a bad landing is almost gauranteed, and so on.

My point is just to illustrate that a track could be designed such that these different vehicles (with differing capabilities) could compete on some level. But if track design doesn't progress, you're likely looking at the same matchup as the Rustler vs. T4. Or maybe a 'slash only' class and an 'everything else' class, and you can guess which one would have more staying power at a club track.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: calvino

I guess when you talk about the abuse in racing, if you look at a track with jumps everywhere you can rightfully say 'ooh well thats hard on the car.' Yes that is true, but if you land the jumps right, you can keep on rolling, if you land wrong, thats how you break parts. It all goes back to "you crash you brake." IMO the SC10 seems like a very good car, its based off the T4, an extremely popular/proven racing platform, throw some awesome equipment in, and you have one heck of a racer. I have seen vids of the SC10 and it looks alot more planted and nimble than the slash that looks more like a big tank with tall gearing trying to get around. I guess thats just my $.02 on it all [8D]
I know when the Slashes jump most of the time they dont land on all 4's, it's a flipping frenzy, or they crash into each other,
I guess that's why eveyone likes the class so much. They can beat the tar outa the truck and not so much concentrate on racing.
Only the good drivers make very little mistakes, while noobs just plow into the fence or each other. But the SC10 looks if setup correctly
wont flip as often, or never. Personally I dont like bumper cars as much as others, and rather just pull laps.
The slash class as I have been told is to bring newcommers into the RC racing scene, I see new people all the time now.
It may be a while before you start seeing SC10's at the track. I just dont think it will hurt the slash class.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
fusebmx13

I don't think that it is possible to overcome. No matter what you say, there is still a huge body on both trucks and it will still catch air just the same. Once it hits a ramp, the air just catches the body and away it goes.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Have you seen the SC10 video? That thing drives, jumps, and flys 100 times better than a Slash. Not even CLOSE to the same.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Access

Officially produced videos don't show much, they can be staged or cut and edit to 'perfection'.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Barber420

Still looks a lot better than the "officially produced" video by Traxxas for the Slash. Why aren't more people into the Slayer anyhow? That is a WAY better truck than the Slash, but it seems nobody buys them.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
The Hedgehog

Price....

I haven't seen any SC8's around here either.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Barber420

Good call. The Slayer is WAY more expensive than the Slash huh? What's the price difference?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: Access

Officially produced videos don't show much, they can be staged or cut and edit to 'perfection'.

They might be able to edit out crashes, but they can't edit the handling. It handled WAY better than ANY slash I've ever seen. That includes many online videos, and a few local races. Even with an experienced driver, the slash just doesn't compare to the AE.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
The Hedgehog

That's why they aren't allowed in the Slash spec class at my local track
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
fusebmx13

I know that the sc10 will run circles around a slash. But not really in jumping. I can get maybe one good jump out of 5 that i can go far and stay level. They can just cut that out if they wanted. You cannot even say that just because it is AE that the body will make it drive better. So if i put one of the sc10 body's on my slash it will drive better?? No it wont, they are all just big kites. Once they catch the air there is no braking you can do to stop it from nosing up. It might not look like it in the video but if you got some real speed on it and you were outside, it would blow over to.

The sc10 video is better than the slash one because they are using brushless in the sc10 video. The slash video is a junky stock slash running around. Nothing impressive, but i guarantee that sc10 has brushless and lipo in it for that video. This whole discussion is not even fair. It is like comparing a lambo to a cavi. It is just not possible.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: Barber420

Good call. The Slayer is WAY more expensive than the Slash huh? What's the price difference?
About 300 bucks.

IMO, the slayer was a bad move my traxxas. They should have used their 2WD nitro platforms instead of the revo platform. I am not saying that it is a bad truck(the revo series are really sweet), it is just too expensive to raise interest in the crowd that is is targeted to.

They could have based it off the nitro pede/rusty and used a 2.5R. It would be a ton cheaper and it would be a decent truck, especially if they put some R&D into a new chassis like they did with the slash.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM
ramp4ge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then you have to look at the fact that the Slash is an elongated monster truck (Stampede) and the SC10 is an elongated stadium truck (T4)..Kinda' hard to make a comparison.

That'd be like letting a Nitro MT into a TMaxx spec race..

From all of the videos I've seen of the SC10, it really does look to have all the handling characteristics of a 1/10th scale stadium truck. It loses that "charm" that the Slash has with it's massive body roll and never-ending wheelspin..It's just not there. I'd hate to see the class dragged down by "refinement" after "refinement" until it's nothing more then another ST class..

The SC10 is, in essence, a Losi Desert Truck with a bigger body.

Prices on the Slayer keep dropping, but it's still "expensive". They just dropped the price on Tower $10 more, and with the coupons Tower always has, you can get a Slayer for $349, which isn't bad at all considering it's platform.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Slayer, simply so I can kit it, rebuild it on a Vantage CF chassis and convert it to electric..
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Tricksligger

I dont know why everyone is all over this SC10. Its not even out yet. I dont see how 2 trucks alike in body style and width length and height can be that different. It doesnt have magic shocks or tires does it?? My slash with a brushed motor can get around the track exactly like that sc10 in the video does. Smooth jumps, perfect landings and great steering. Its all about setup and driving. I will race a Sc10 against my slash both running equal power systems anyday of the week. Unless it does have magic shocks and tires.

I know a Rolex is better than Seiko in terms of price and longevity but it will not tell time any better!!

These are just my opinions just like everyone elses cause thats all we have right now untill this thing is at the track.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

I know that the sc10 will run circles around a slash. But not really in jumping. I can get maybe one good jump out of 5 that i can go far and stay level. They can just cut that out if they wanted. You cannot even say that just because it is AE that the body will make it drive better. So if i put one of the sc10 body's on my slash it will drive better?? No it wont, they are all just big kites. Once they catch the air there is no braking you can do to stop it from nosing up. It might not look like it in the video but if you got some real speed on it and you were outside, it would blow over to.

The sc10 video is better than the slash one because they are using brushless in the sc10 video. The slash video is a junky stock slash running around. Nothing impressive, but i guarantee that sc10 has brushless and lipo in it for that video. This whole discussion is not even fair. It is like comparing a lambo to a cavi. It is just not possible.
If you can make one jump out of five, it's not the truck, its your driving. The Vast Superiority in handling of the SC10 in that vid, is NOT because of the motor system. Its the chassis, driver and track.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

Then you have to look at the fact that the Slash is an elongated monster truck (Stampede) and the SC10 is an elongated stadium truck (T4)..Kinda' hard to make a comparison.

That'd be like letting a Nitro MT into a TMaxx spec race..

From all of the videos I've seen of the SC10, it really does look to have all the handling characteristics of a 1/10th scale stadium truck. It loses that "charm" that the Slash has with it's massive body roll and never-ending wheelspin..It's just not there. I'd hate to see the class dragged down by "refinement" after "refinement" until it's nothing more then another ST class..

The SC10 is, in essence, a Losi Desert Truck with a bigger body.

Prices on the Slayer keep dropping, but it's still "expensive". They just dropped the price on Tower $10 more, and with the coupons Tower always has, you can get a Slayer for $349, which isn't bad at all considering it's platform.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Slayer, simply so I can kit it, rebuild it on a Vantage CF chassis and convert it to electric..
Man, traxxas really dropped the price of the slayer. It used to be like $500 when it came out.

I agree with you on the SC10 though. I am afraid too that it will get way too serious and ruin the fun. Sure it probably handles great, but what's the point of that? It isn't supposed to handle good, it is supposed to look realistic.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: ramp4ge
Right. The fun of the Slash class right now is that no one takes it that seriously. In a lot of our local slash races (which actually allow the slayer, SC8, etc.) a lot of people are just 'showboating' and would rather look cool than win (ie. taking jumps way to fast, flying into the stands, etc.) The real problem is that the copycats and lookalikes are coming much too late, the Slash has been out forever and is out there in great numbers. If it suddenly becomes a big disadvantage, ie. on the level of the Rustler / T4 matchup; basically If some hotshot comes along with a new vehicle that blows away what everyone else already has, they might just end up denied with the accusation they are ruining the fun. The tracks might decide that the class allows Slashes and nothing else.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
fusebmx13

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

If you can make one jump out of five, it's not the truck, its your driving. The Vast Superiority in handling of the SC10 in that vid, is NOT because of the motor system. Its the chassis, driver and track.
I am not talking on a track. I am talking distance. It is not possible to jump the slash more than 55 feet, otherwise it just catches and floats on its lid. I know how to jump dude, I have jumped my stampede 60 feet doing a backflip landing on all fours.

My point here is that just because it is AE does not mean it is blessed by the gods. Sure the CG is lower but that is not going to help the huge body. Explain to me how you can make a sc10 jump just as far without doing the same thing. That is like buying 2 different brand kites that are the same exact shape and just saying that one flies better just because of the brand. That is pointless. I know for sure that the sc10 is better in handling and all, but there is just no way they are that far apart in the jumping category.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.