Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Transmitter range and weird behavior when signal is lost

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Transmitter range and weird behavior when signal is lost

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
kilimats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter range and weird behavior when signal is lost

So I noticed today that every time the transmitter loose sight of the receiver, my HPI firestorm goes full throttle like a mad cow....why in hell would HPI program the car to go crazy when the signal is lost ??? I broke a suspension arm when that happen

How do i tell the car to go in standby mode when the signal is lost ? and is there any way to increase the transmitter range ?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 PM
FairTax4me

Default RE: Transmitter range and weird behavior when signal is lost

Go 2.4Ghz.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kilimats

So I noticed today that every time the transmitter loose sight of the receiver, my HPI firestorm goes full throttle like a mad cow....why in hell would HPI program the car to go crazy when the signal is lost ??? I broke a suspension arm when that happen

How do i tell the car to go in standby mode when the signal is lost ? and is there any way to increase the transmitter range ?
you need a failsafe!! it will return the servo to neutral when lost signal...

It's not like they programed the servos to be like that...

when you push full throttle on your controller... the car will accelerate and if it loses signal at that point, there is no signal to tell it to move to neutral position..therefor it's going to keep on full throttling..
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: samguan

when you push full throttle on your controller... the car will accelerate and if it loses signal at that point, there is no signal to tell it to move to neutral position..therefor it's going to keep on full throttling..
Will this failsafe unit work for my firestorm flux? http://cgi.ebay.com/Nitro-RC-Fail-Safe-for-Car-Truck-Boat-RC-Failsafe_W0QQitemZ180335790144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZR adio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1803357901 44&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM
samguan

Will this failsafe unit work for my firestorm flux? http://cgi.ebay.com/Nitro-RC-Fail-Safe-for-Car-Truck-Boat-RC-Failsafe_W0QQitemZ180335790144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZR adio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1803357901 44&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
I ordered the exact same one for the price...didn't really follow the setup guide yet.. can't report on how well it works.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM
samguan

you said you have the Flux? that's brushless right?? I don't think you need a failsafe for that..
Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
kilimats

you said you have the Flux? that's brushless right?? I don't think you need a failsafe for that..

Yes, the flux

so how do i prevent the mad cow behavior ?

2.4Ghz is $$$, don't want to go that route for now
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

a fail safe is all you need, my SW did the samething on me, but it was just on the bench and proped up thankfully i turned off the TX before the speedo... a failsafe like this one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHLV3&P=ML
will do you just fine, program it spec what is says (then PM me how cuz i lost my instructions and i wanna re set mine for new TX) it'll go to whatever speed you select i'm pretty sure at least... yeah, it will it'll go the preset when you loose range

thelug
Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Bugzilla

I don't know how you can failsafe an electric vehicle other than using a godawful expensive fully programmable ESC, and I don't even know if you can do that because I ain't got that kind of cash, so I have no experience with that sort of thing.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: Bugzilla

I don't know how you can failsafe an electric vehicle other than using a godawful expensive fully programmable ESC, and I don't even know if you can do that because I ain't got that kind of cash, so I have no experience with that sort of thing.
I bought the failsafe yesterday, are you saying it wont work with an electric car ?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM
hands without shadows

A failsafe will work with an electric car. All a failsafe does is sense a weak or lack of signal and send out a preprogrammed (usually brake) position. It doesnt care whether you plug a throttle and brake servo into it or an ESC. It will work for either.

You may have to by-pass the failsafe to program your ESC with the radio.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 PM
FairTax4me

You can use a failsafe with an electric if you set it to go to neutral throttle, OR by disabling reverse. The only thing about neutral with a brushless is that it will coast a LONG way before it stops. It won't run away at full throttle anymore, but if its in a tight spot and you lose radio, it's just gonna keep on rolling along, usually until something gets in its way, which is almost as bad as running away at full throttle.

I opted to disable reverse on my VXL ESC. Even now with my DX3S, I don't want to take a chance at losing the signal when its rolling 50+ mph.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 AM
NY DIRT

You can get a brand new Losi 2.4G radio and reciever on ebay for like $65-$80.....That is what I use in my AX10 crawler......Works great...!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: NY DIRT

You can get a brand new Losi 2.4G radio and reciever on ebay for like $65-$80.....That is what I use in my AX10 crawler......Works great...!!!
can you tell me about the advantages/disadvantages ? and what is your personal opinion ?

What setup are you using ? any store link ?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 AM
NY DIRT

No problem.....Really there are no disadvantages....The advantages are longer range,smaller transmitter,no outside antenna,it is only a couple inches long and stays right inside your body and since it is an FM radio you don't have to worry about any interferance at all.....Just go to ebay and search for Losi transmitter,or reciever,or 2.4G.....Let me know if you need more help.....You can email me if you [email protected]