Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lipo protection for packs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM
llitten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo protection for packs

I've searched, a lot, and haven't found a suitable answer.

I have hear all about Lipo packs and their inherent risks if not handled properly.

I am about to step into the sport of electric truck 'bashing' (and perhaps more)

I would like to protect my lipo battery pack from damage.

Questions:

Can I wrap it in gorilla tape? if not why?

Does the pack/cells need to breath?

Could I create a hard case or a heavy duty rubber case and seal the lipo battery pack inside, exposing only the wire leads?
(I have found links to people building hard cases, but they don't seem to answer the above questions and the cases do not look completly sealed, from elements (water, dirt, etc))

Thank you.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: Lipo protection for packs

Yes, Lipos can be dangerous if mistreated. That means using an improper charge setting, or leaving them connected to an ESC(even though the switch is off, they often still draw power. When a Lipo gets drawn down below minimum voltage, they chemically react, and catch fire. This is why they got a bad wrap, people mistreated them) There are several hard cased packs already available. As for charging and care, just get a good charger designed specifically for lipo, and don't run them all the way down. They only seem to get hot if you have a high amp draw beyond its "C" rating, or if you draw them down too low(about 3 volts per cell) If you are just bashing, and don't need the power or don't want to take care of them, stick to nimh.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

lipo's are not hard to take care, just read the fine line information, do alittle research as well, its all common sense stuff really. Once you start using lipo's you will never go back, I hate my nimh packs, so much money wasted down the drain :/
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
llitten

OK, so.....I am wanting and will be using lipo.
I have a lipo battery for use in the car, already.

can I beef up the casing? can I add gorilla tape so that pucture wounds and water would not be an issue?
(yes I'm aware of bent packs and internal damage.....)

I am thinking wrapping the lipo pack in gorilla tape, possibly with some plastic or stiff cardboard for added strength and protection.....would help secure my packs.

questions though....do they need to breathe? if I create a hard case, totally waterproof (and airproof) would the packs be affected?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM
FoamyVictim

I wouldn't cut off the air entirely. Is it not already wrapped in something? It should be fine just like it is.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wrapped one of my SPC lipos in Black Duct tape to protect it while being used in my hotshot since the battery hangs under the car. I've got about 20 runs on it without any problems. Mine is completely wrapped. It did raise temps about 10F. My packs are now seeing a max temp of about 115F. Still very safe.

As far as safety goes. I personally have never seen a Lipo go bad. Nor has any of my friends. I have had 2 Nimh packs explode. One in a car running a simple Tamiya silver can motor and the other on a charger at 2.0A. My biggest concern when switching to lipo was storing them when not in use or when no one is around. I never leave my batteries unattended while in use so If something does happen I'll be there to handle it. . For storing I made a simple metal box that is 12x12x12 with a locking lid. It has a plastic bag on the bottom filled with sand. When I'm done for the day I place the batteries on top of the bag then place another bag of sand on top of the batteries. The thinking here is, If there is a fire it will melt the bag and the sand will put out the flames. The metal box also seals pretty well so there is very little air getting in. I also keep them on a metal shelf in the garage away from anything that burns just in case. As long as you treat Lipos right you should not have a problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
zjwhitrock

ORIGINAL: john01374

I wrapped one of my SPC lipos in Black Duct tape to protect it while being used in my hotshot since the battery hangs under the car. I've got about 20 runs on it without any problems. Mine is completely wrapped. It did raise temps about 10F. My packs are now seeing a max temp of about 115F. Still very safe.

As far as safety goes. I personally have never seen a Lipo go bad. Nor has any of my friends. I have had 2 Nimh packs explode. One in a car running a simple Tamiya silver can motor and the other on a charger at 2.0A. My biggest concern when switching to lipo was storing them when not in use or when no one is around. I never leave my batteries unattended while in use so If something does happen I'll be there to handle it. . For storing I made a simple metal box that is 12x12x12 with a locking lid. It has a plastic bag on the bottom filled with sand. When I'm done for the day I place the batteries on top of the bag then place another bag of sand on top of the batteries. The thinking here is, If there is a fire it will melt the bag and the sand will put out the flames. The metal box also seals pretty well so there is very little air getting in. I also keep them on a metal shelf in the garage away from anything that burns just in case. As long as you treat Lipos right you should not have a problem.

lol, I cary them around in my back pocket at the track... left for full, right all ready run
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM
kilimats

im not a pro but here is my advise, get a hard case lipo if you want best protection.