RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Meshing your gears

Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 AM
B192734

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Meshing your gears

So, I picked up new spur and pinions and motor, and was getting everything put together. I read that when you're meshing your gears, to put a piece of paper between them and then tighten down. Then you should be able to run another piece of paper through. Not really sure what that meant though. I saw that I had at one point closed them too tight, and then too loose. How do you know when you have the gears properly lined up?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Chris_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Meshing your gears

First of all, both of the gears should be perfectly aligned. What you do is loosen the 2 motor screws, then put a piece of paper in the middle. While squeezing the 2 gear together, tighten both motor mount screws. When you are finished, you need to hold the spur gear, and wiggle the pinion up and down. There should be a VERY slight amount of play/slop. If you can move it more than .5mm you have too much.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 PM
arcarle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Meshing your gears

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

First of all, both of the gears should be perfectly aligned. What you do is loosen the 2 motor screws, then put a piece of paper in the middle. While squeezing the 2 gear together, tighten both motor mount screws. When you are finished, you need to hold the spur gear, and wiggle the pinion up and down. There should be a VERY slight amount of play/slop. If you can move it more than .5mm you have too much.
And then after that the piece of paper you pinched in between the gears, spin the spur gear with the paper still in there, it should crinkle as it passes through easily. If it binds it is too tight.