Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Side by Side
88.89%
Stick
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

SxS or Stick?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Seek and Destroy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default SxS or Stick?

Well I am looking to get 2 batteries for an E-revo that I am getting in a trade. I am probably going to get a 6 cell battery, but I might get a 7 cell. I will most likely get the ELITE 5000mah batteries from [link=http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=1522072&pgid=superlisting&type=car&manufacturer=4&model=662]here.[/link] Now what I am wondering is what configuration do I want them? I read around some and it seems that side by side is the best, but there doesnt seem to be any options like that on cheapbatterypacks.com . I guess I could submit my own, but I dont know for sure yet. And if 7 cell isnt much more than 6 cell, I will probably get 7 cell. Right now I am thinking this configuration |||||||. By the way this is going in a Revo converted to electric, so I dont think its really going to matter what exactly the configuration is (space) but more which one is better.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM
FairTax4me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SxS or Stick?

You will need side by side for sure. The current required to tug around a truck like the Revo is just going to fry a stick pack. Pick up a 7 cell EnerG 4600 pack from Promatchracing.com. http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=7460S Those cells are every bit as good as the Elites, maybe even better, and they're 5 bucks less.
If you buy from CBP, make absolute sure that you choose the "Upgrade my pack" option.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Seek and Destroy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

You will need side by side for sure. The current required to tug around a truck like the Revo is just going to fry a stick pack. Pick up a 7 cell EnerG 4600 pack from Promatchracing.com. http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=7460S Those cells are every bit as good as the Elites, maybe even better, and they're 5 bucks less.
If you buy from CBP, make absolute sure that you choose the "Upgrade my pack" option.
Ya I will probably get that, I like the price. Does it matter whether or not it is matched or unmatched? What does that do?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if you build your own stick packs soldered end to end then the resistance is even less than the sxs. however, if you are purchasing ready made packs the stick packs have cheap tin connectors spot welded on which are weaker than the typical battery bars used in sxs.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Chris_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matched batteries are more equally matched. For example, I have the platinum matched energ 4600s. These are the elite few cells that have tested best out of all the cells. The unmatched ones are bascially the leftovers, but they still peform good, they just wont be as well matched. If you dont have a battery equalizer, no matter if you get the platinum packs, the cells will get unbalanced after some time.

Get either the unmatched or lowest matched cells, depending on your budget.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Seek and Destroy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Matched batteries are more equally matched. For example, I have the platinum matched energ 4600s. These are the elite few cells that have tested best out of all the cells. The unmatched ones are bascially the leftovers, but they still peform good, they just wont be as well matched. If you dont have a battery equalizer, no matter if you get the platinum packs, the cells will get unbalanced after some time.

Get either the unmatched or lowest matched cells, depending on your budget.
My budget is the main reason I am asking these questions. I was set on getting the 7 cell 4200 mah energs that was a stick pack for like $28. But I started reading some stuff today and apparently stick packs arent good. So I guess I will get the 7 cell SxS ones. Actually, I may get this because it will give me free shipping for only a couple of bucks more and they are matched. http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=7475
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Sorimatsu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

stick packs arnt bad for lighter loads like ST's or slashes, but for what you are using i would go with SXS
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've ran stick packs on my electric stadium truck for a year and recently moved on to side-by-side packs.
I loved how I can now "read" in much more detail how every cell is doing (or not doing) with a TeamWave discharger.
The cost of the discharger/balancer and the new battery bars are worth the penny, since I can now break all my sticks up and make them side-by-side. If any cell appears bad, I can probably break the side-by-side packs and re-group all the better ones into a more balanced pack... instead of having a useless stick 6-cell pack.

Correct me if I'm wrong.