Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How Associated may ruin CORR r/c

Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
ArancioC5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Associated may ruin CORR r/c

You know I really admire ae for what they have done over the years to stay on top of the game but last night I was thinking about how they tend to take the "fun" out of this hobby. Yes I own a Slash, and NO I am not jealous of the SC10 because I could own one faster then you can reply to this thread. I just really love the Slash because it is the most fun I've had with R/C in a long time. I'll even say I enjoy driving it a little more then my $1,000 modified Savage Flux. Go figure.

Besides the fact that it is really fun bashing it, or shall I say doing my best to break it but fail 99.9% of the time, it makes a great racing class. It's a FUN class, run a few races, or even with your friends and kick back a few beers when the batteries drain. It's also cheap fun, which in this economy is refreshing.

Enter the SC10 (sc8 is another story), the second it dropped for sale I felt like ae didnt understand what fun is anymore. Don't you think Traxxas is fully capable of making a track special truck that could dominate? Sorry ae guys but Traxxas just chooses not to at this stage in the game because they have unlimited funds for r&d to make a world beater truck. That however was NEVER the point to the CORR truck/ Slash concept. Why do other companies just not get it? They did the right thing by making it look great and very scale, but beyond that they missed the boat completely.

I'm sure many of you will buy one and think it's great but honestly it has zero character and you might as well just buy a T4 and get the better equipment. Losi might follow suit and make an even "better" "CORR" truck that looks scale but does not drive very scale which is where the REAL fun was with the Slash. This is how R/C cars/trucks went from looking scale in the first place with Tamiya and Kyosho (as 2 examples in the 70's and early 80's), and were made to be super trucks that began to look deformed when Losi and ae began making "better" trucks/cars. The cycle is starting all over again and this time around it hardly had a year to settle in...

I think it's rediculous, and ruins the fun. Such a shame.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 PM
farmerearl
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How Associated may ruin CORR r/c

I completely agree, truthful words.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5
I think it's rediculous, and ruins the fun. Such a shame.
Go over it with the track and have a 'slash-only' class, that is what a lot of tracks are doing. ROAR doesn't have much say anymore what is actually being raced at local or club tracks.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
FairTax4me

Well, its not so much the company, as it is the people who buy them. AE is in it for money, just like Traxxas, Losi, and every other RC manufacturer there is. They'll only spend the money on R&D and tooling for new products if they think beyond a certain doubt that they can sell them. As long as people buy the cars, they're gonna keep on making them "better" in an effort to one-up the rest of the RC community. I don't think the Slash is going anywhere any time soon. Certainly not with the reputation they've earned with the basher crowd. And if what people say about them just being a blast on the track is true, I don't think people will let them go away there either.

You're absolutely correct though, I think AE missed the point entirely. The Corr truck RC movement is based on the ability to roll over (ten or twelve times) and keep going, and be cheap enough that anyone can join in.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 PM
ArancioC5

yeah that can be done, but what I am saying is that some companies just miss the point and end up hurting the hobby in the long run. Think about it, the more people in this hobby, the more volume of sales the cheaper the parts etc etc. I know 100% for a fact that this hobby is extremely intimidating to most because of the cost and the pressure to have the "right" stuff/ kits. It's great for those already in the hobby, but does not promote any growth. The Slash was like the second comming of the Tamiya Grasshopper because it is cheap, fun, and "hobby grade" enough to get people in the door to a hobby they never imagined to be so involved.

tell me, what was the point of making the sc10 look more scale then the slash, but make it handle like a sports car? What is the sense of that? They did not get why we love the Slash one bit, because I dont have fun looking at it with it's wide fenders. It is all about driving it. We all know the Slash will still be here, but it drives me nuts when Associated thinks they have done something great, when in truth all they have done was cop out.

I'll say it again, if Traxxas wanted to build a CORR truck that would out scale, out handle and outlast the SC10 they could do it in a second. Racing is not what fills their bank account faster then selling rtr, so why go racing just for bragging rights? They are the reason this hobby still tics.....and I hateeee admitting that because I used to dislike Traxxas but give them due credit. Just when the hobby was having some fun, someone had to make it more serious then it needed to be. So stupid.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Chris_RC

Well, I wouldnt say anyone who has a SC10 will automatically beat the Slash. For example, some people who had SC10s got thier (RCU rules [&o]) handed to them by a slash driver. A stock class won the main at my track over modified SC10s...go figure. I will say to some extent corr racing isnt as fun with the SC10.

I have my money on Losi coming out with a rtr corr truck 4-16-09. I mean, in the picture the tire is too small to be a truggy, to big to be a mini, and not a good RTR tread pattern to be a normal 1/10. has to be a corr truck..... for some reason at first glance a 1/10 4wd buggy came into mind, then I saw RTR. [&o]
Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
ArancioC5

Yeah Chris, see it's the fact that the class has become so competitive that kills it. For example, I'm trying to get my 8 year old son into this hobby and show him that it only LOOKS intimidating but the first time we get a chance to let loose and let the newbies race, it gets too competitive. The Slash is the basher that you can take to race on a saturday at your LHS and go home and beat the hell out of it again and that is the magic of the Slash success story.

Soon you will see people trying to make their sc10 do 90 mph with an lrp neo sphere, and buy a new set of tires for every race, and Ryan Cavaleri (however you spell it) will be racing it against Adam Drake and his Losi variant and then they will say " it needs to be wider, it needs to have adjustable droop settings, it needs a new body because the scale one isnt aerodynamic enough, dish wheels make me faster then the scale-ish KMC wheels."

Get my point? CORR racing is not about that stuff, and honestly it does a dis-service to what CORR represents, not to mention is a geek approach to what is like moto cross on 4 wheels. It's awesome when it's out of control and crazy. The SC10 handles so well that you wont knock into anyone anymore LOL. "Please don't scratch my KMCs!"

Seriously, they officially ruined good fun. AE go out and make a kit with a toyota corolla body but it handles like an Audi Lemans race car... keep up the scale work
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Chris_RC

LOL, I get your point though.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
rbjeepthing

I think you might have missed the point or maybe I did.

I have always viewed Traxxas as a basher product. Cheap reliable and a ton of aftermarket support.

I have always viewed Associated as a race product. Over engineered high performance vehicles.

That being said after owning a few of each product is why i choose HPI it always seems to be the best comprimise between the two.

Will I own a Traxxas Slash or an Associated SC10? Probably both but I will use them as they were intended from what I can see by both companies.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 PM
ArancioC5

rbjeep.......... go watch REAL corr racing. Then watch youtube clips of the sc10 and the slash and tell me which one is more true to what it is trying to portray in mini scale. You will understand my point better, but if you owned a Slash already you would understand right away.

Ok imagine Traxxas made a drift car, that did what a drift car should do. AE then came out with thier own version but it went around corners without letting the back out - YET it had JDM spec wheels, body kit, and decals/ tuner decals. IT MAKES NO SENSE! Then people go out and buy the AE car because "it handles better" LOL. ITS SUPPOSED TO HANDLE LIKE A CORR TRUCK PEOPLE, this aint a nascar race.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankly the passion and bs behind this new fangled short course RC craze isn't worth the fuss.

big deal, a new body design and everyone goes gaga?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
ArancioC5

lol you are right, and i'll be topping my slash with an sc10 lid for sure but I dunno... I like to see the hobby grow, not get too serious.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 AM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Frankly the passion and bs behind this new fangled short course RC craze isn't worth the fuss.

big deal, a new body design and everyone goes gaga?
truth

but seriously. people seem to not realize that there is a novice class....if you want your kid to race put them in that. making a class that only has one truck will kill the class faster than you can say "slash". who cares if the is a new truck out? i mean there was no pissing and moaning about new trucks and spec this spec that until all the slash boomers. let the class grow. there is no need for a slash class...if you cannot drive or are on a budget, run novice but dont make another useless class.

BTW, i do own a slash and i love it...i cannot wait to race sc10's.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I obviously haven't driven an SC10 yet, or even seen one in real life for that matter, but the few videos I found of the SC10 running still made it seem to me as though it acts pretty scale. The rear end still slides around corners under power, it jumps similar to a CORR truck, and it's acceleration and braking seems pretty close. The Slash may be a little "crazier", but that doesn't mean the SC10 doesn't act at all like a real CORR truck. Now, as I said, I'm forming these opinions based on watching the handful of SC10 videos on YouTube, but I think watching it on YouTube has got to give a decent look at what the truck is going to drive like.

If I had to buy one I'd buy the AE, but I'm not a fan of Traxxas products. I had my hands on a Slash the 4th day they were out and I wasn't at all impressed, I had the complete opposite reaction as most people seem to. To me it looked like a Rustler and a Stampede had a deformed baby; nothing new about it at all. However, I know the SC10 is basically a T4 with several modifications so their is no real difference in that respect. Anyhow, the Slash broke several(at least 8-12) parts within 4 battery packs of runtime!!! It didn't jump well at all, not even close to how a real CORR trucks jumps, and well it just sucked. The guy that bought it gave up on RC, because he was so disappointed with it!!!!! It was his first RC and I'm pretty sure he's sold his Slash and his RC accesories(I haven't seen him in quite a while)!!

I don't think their is anything wrong with the SC10 coming out, and I definitely don't think it's going to "ruin" things or take the fun out of the Short Course RC craze. It just means that those who want to modify and step it up in their Slash's will have at least one other truck to compete with out there. I have a feeling all of you Slash guys would eventually get tired of racing all the same stuff all of the time. It'd get a bit monotonous to me at least. Those who are die hard about the Slash can still keep running in their spec classes and all will be fine.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Give it a chance. You will warm up to it when the sc10 starts to become popular.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 AM
04DarkShadowGT

I sold my slash to buy an SC10 just to try something different. I am waiting on my radio to arrive but the SC10 is defiantly a lot more complicated to put together. I am curious to see how the transmission handles the exelorion brushless I am going to throw at it.

The SC10 tires look like they are much better than the Slash ones, but cant compare yet since I haven't driven it.

I think the Slash bumpers look to be more stout and will more than likely keep up with the major bashing, but again cant confirm that.

I wonder if the body holes line up between the cars, a fabtech or amsoil slash body would look cool on the SC10. I wished that AE would have given an option for different finished bodies instead of a clear one with AE stickers. The clear body is no biggie but it would be cool if you could get them to come with bully dog or other sponsors stickers too then you can choose what you want.

There were some weird things about the SC10 kit, first there were some metric and sae screws which blew my mind. Granted not many were metric but still having both is nuts. Same as others the rear wheels needed larger holes to fit the axles. I found the wheels a pain in the butt to glue the tires in how they were designed with two different diameters on either side. That imo was silly to do the same thing as traxxas did. Its also very odd that there are two different sized wheel nuts. That imo is kind of a head scrather.

Overall I am sure the SC10 will be a better performer and I just hope it does better on pavement and grass where the stock slash was at its worst.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
droppedgmc
My Feedback: (18)

you know..i own both a slash and SC10 now. My SC10 definitly out performs the slash, but im not going to get rid of the slash. The slash is more user friendly as far as setups go. It has a more lazy feel when driving which is good and bad. The SC10 is more race oriented, but setting up to handle correctly takes a little more time. I dont think the SC10 is going to kill the CORR class. I think it will better it. Yes there will still remain the stock Spec Slash class. The mod class i think is where it will be. It will make it more competitive. There are some slash's and slash drivers that will out run an SC10 hands down. All in All, i think it's good
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 AM
rbjeepthing

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

rbjeep.......... go watch REAL corr racing. Then watch youtube clips of the sc10 and the slash and tell me which one is more true to what it is trying to portray in mini scale. You will understand my point better, but if you owned a Slash already you would understand right away.

Ok imagine Traxxas made a drift car, that did what a drift car should do. AE then came out with thier own version but it went around corners without letting the back out - YET it had JDM spec wheels, body kit, and decals/ tuner decals. IT MAKES NO SENSE! Then people go out and buy the AE car because "it handles better" LOL. ITS SUPPOSED TO HANDLE LIKE A CORR TRUCK PEOPLE, this aint a nascar race.

lol.....I work at a shop called JJ's 4wd and Offroad Center...wonder what we do?

The whole reason I got into RC trucks was cause there's nothing to do in the winter since we can't wheel.

Look at Shannon Campbells rigs and the progression of them the SC10 is just progression. It's no different then the trucks a few years ago even longer they were SA now there all IFS.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I see what you're saying, but still I think people can have fun with AE truck too. Myself I like a lot of the fun stuff Tamiya puts out, but every once and a while I like to drive something more performance oriented too. Having both performance and fun cars to drive helps me enjoy both styles.

That said, I really don't think the SC10 is going to ruin the hobby or racing class.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Lilredmachine

go watch REAL corr racing. Then watch youtube clips of the sc10 and the slash and tell me which one is more true to what it is trying to portray in mini scale.
I watched CORR the other day, I see highly developed, hugely expensive, insanely fast trucks being driven balls out by professional drivers. You know what I see when I watch a Slash race? People dicking about with toys. Sorry, but the hobby has always been about performance when it came to the racing classes, the SC10 captures this much better than the Slash does.

In this case, the SC10 does a far better job of portraying CORR in mini scale than the Slash.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 PM
The Hedgehog

AE, jumping on the bandwagon. Nothing wrong with it, but kudos to Traxxas.

My track doesn't allow SC10 in the Slash spec class so it's all good over here
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
overrev

I don't see the spec slash class going away to soon because it is cheaper to race. The track I go to is making the sc10 run in a mod class which will allow the people with mod slash to run. I think this is a good thing makes another class now I will be able to run my mod slash. Don't need the sc10 I have a b4 I like to drive different rc's challenges your driving skills.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: wookie_racer
one truck will kill the class faster than you can say "slash". who cares if the is a new truck out? i mean there was no pissing and moaning about new trucks and spec this spec that until all the slash boomers. let the class grow. there is no need for a slash class...if you cannot drive or are on a budget, run novice but dont make another useless class.
Classes grow and evolve based on people, not hardware. Allowing more hardware, or greater diversity of hardware, won't necessarily grow the class, more that's what might kill it off or just lead to the 'vehicle of the month' crazes of racing past. If the slash/SC10 ends up like the Rustler/T4 matchup, then tracks would be wise to keep a slash-only class around and that class is likely to be more popular than the 'open CORR' class. Now if enough slashes raced in the open class and the slashes were good enough to be contenders, than the classes might just evolve that way. Ultimately a lot could happen, I know we have slayers and even SC8s racing in the open class at one of our local tracks and a bone stock slash has still won it. But if there is a real gap, eventually driving abilities improve to the point where that gap is felt most... Tracks that try to race those flawed classes where not enough people can or have the hardware to be contenders, regardless of what most people want to race, those are the tracks that fade away in time.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Chris_RC

Well, after over 1 hour of researching, I can now say I am unsuccessful at finding the prototye pictures of the losi corr truck. I KNOW I seen them [link=http://jbphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2525212_8cMhV#146435414_gs3HV]HERE[/link] a few weeks ago, it was bascially the corr truck that had been around since the 90s, only a few losi guys around it. That track was around 10 minutes from me, got torn down-no racers. The point of this was to show how the new losi rtr will be a corr truck, because they had the SAME tires in the pictures of it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Mufasa_719

It would be hard to run an sc10/slash clash too because the sc10 came out as a kit with no motor or electros. When I first saw the price I thought wow they keept a competive price @$220 I think but then I realized it was a kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.