Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler and Slash

Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 PM
smoked17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler and Slash

Which one is better the on and off road overal the Traxxas Rustler VXL or the Taxxas Slash?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Frankfka

Default RE: Rustler and Slash

wait..the rustler VXL is brushless but the slash is not..the slash will take more crashes and stuff..but the rustler will be faster since its small and light
Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 PM
FairTax4me

Slash is gonna do better off road, because of the higher ground clearance, but it also has a tendency to flip over pretty easy. Its not that hard to set it up to handle well on road, but it will still be slower than the Rustler VXL. Rustler is kind of the middle ground car, it does decently well on any surface except grass.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 AM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me
Rustler is kind of the middle ground car, it does decently well on any surface except grass.
my VXL rusty does just fine in the grass.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Flux Driver

I couldn't count the brushed motor against the Slash because that can easily be fixed with a brushless ESC and motor. It's a matter of everything else about the Slash and Rustler.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
traxxas4ever

rustler all the way. the slash isn't brushless and the rustler obviously is. You can convert the slash but that mans putting more money in it. The slash does have the better clearance but my rustler does awesome off-road.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:37 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Slash is gonna do better off road, because of the higher ground clearance, but it also has a tendency to flip over pretty easy. Its not that hard to set it up to handle well on road, but it will still be slower than the Rustler VXL. Rustler is kind of the middle ground car, it does decently well on any surface except grass.
The slash blows on grass, the stock tires are a major hindrance to the off roading prowess of the slash.

In 100% stock form the rustler would be better on every surface, even if it was an XL-5 Rustler. Simply due to the tires have alot better grip.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Frankfka

Id say rustler would be better on-road with acondas..with some pebbles and medium-sized rocks its best if you have a slash
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
MTboy

I would go Rustler.. From what I've read and hear the slash is over rated. Plus all the new slashes being sold after only owning for a few is a sure sign there not what everyone says they are. The rustler has been around for ever and don't look like it's going any where..
Old 06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
rustler1882

I just picked up a rustler 2.5 nitro - looked at the slash but decided against it. Rustler does great on most everything except head on into curbs
Old 06-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rustler is better everywhere except in scale looks. The Slash may also be more resistant to crashing, since the wheels aren't protruding from the body.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Druss

Personally I think you'd be happy with either.  I run my slash w/ vxl everywhere and it works fine.  I also have a desert truck and don't run it half as much as the slash. 
Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 PM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run my slash on and off road and it does fine yea it can tip easy but its how you tune the suspension the slash was designed for off road use
Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
TX Baphomet
My Feedback: (6)

Since I am a newbie to this hobby and only own a Slash, I cannot compare the two against each. But I can tell you that my Slash moves well on grass, gravel, dirt, and road. Although it does flip rather easily on road, I have yet to break a part and I dont see much more I could to push this thing to the limits. I have launched off our 4' loading dock at work into a ditch, barrel rolled 5+ times in a single spill, drove this truck in the pouring rain and it still keeps trucking. Being my first RC car, I cant see where I went wrong, I just hope when I buy my next one (which is soon) I am not let down with the performance or overall stability compared to the Slash.