Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • SC10

41 46.07%
  • Slash

48 53.93%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: SC10 or Slash (read before voting)

ORIGINAL: cuzican

ORIGINAL: barefootdaniel

ORIGINAL: MaddMatt

Nothing against the AE truck, but it just doesn't sound to me like your not looking for the Hard core race machine. But there is always the Slash race class if you should decide to try it out later.[8D]
    yeah i dont care about racing, but if the extra $30 will get me a better motor and esc then i might as well go for it...also the SC10 looks better
    That depends on how much money you wanna spend on broken parts. I havn't seen an sc10 run yet (will tonight) but after looking at my friends sc10 while he was building it the other day I can tell you that its gonna be a great race machine...but if you bash it you're gonna spend most of your time and money fixing it. It looks really tune-able and has a great CG......but it isn't gonna take the beating that you can hand to a slash.

I love how you guys who have never driven one claim it as weak. If you have no first hand experience, dont say anything at all.

ORIGINAL: Frankfka

Id think if you jump the slash and SC10 on the same jump the SC10's more likely to break

Based on what? Your speculation? The funny thing about the SC10, it doesnt need to have overly large arms and other parts as it was designed to soak up jumps and fly properly. A first timer will look like champ jumping the SC10.

No question that the slash would hold up better if you cant drive and like to run into poles and car tires or if you just like to jump it off the largest flight of stairs you can find.

I have owned both and sold the slash to get the SC10 and have been happy with that decision. The SC10 will hold up just fine to normal bashing, besides when a car can actually handle well you will be surprised how easy it is to avoid flipping it over or running into stuff.

The slash guys think theirs is the best, the SC10 guys think theirs is the best. Get whatever one you want. All I will say is everyone agrees the SC10 is a better racer and SC10 guys know it can take a beating too.
    Anyone in the midwest check it out greatlakesrconline

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who is 'They'? Associated doesn't control the price, the retailers do. They can sell it to the retailers for less, but there's no gaurantee it will get prices down especially with the RTR out now. How many retailers are willing to even stock a kit... the product lifetime of that kit is essentially over. The only thing that determines 'overpriced' is how much people are willing to pay.
    Maybe not so much the retailers as the distributors. Either one though, should know that higher sales volume will make them more money than higher prices. Lower the price, more people will buy, even though they make less on each sale, they make more sales, so in turn make more money. They'll also sell more in the long run because there are more people who need replacement parts. At least that's the way I see it.
    Obviously some people are willing to pay $200 for this kit, but most people won't think it's worth that (myself included). That is why, unfortunately, you are probably correct in thinking that the hype over the kit is gone.
    *Compact battery box is waterproof against dust!
    Rustler, Slash, TA03F, 4Tec, Evader, X-Crawler, Cx3 heli, more?...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow children, grow up! Who cares. Its a stupid toy that your will get bored of in a month and then sell.

Who cares which one is better or whatever. They can both race, bash, and look good. Now be a man and make your own decision.
    RCing as the day goes by

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me
    Maybe not so much the retailers as the distributors. Either one though, should know that higher sales volume will make them more money than higher prices. Lower the price, more people will buy, even though they make less on each sale, they make more sales, so in turn make more money. They'll also sell more
    That's only true to a point, look at maximizing the profit if you can only set the price once, there is an ideal price where you'll make the most profit. Now in reality a price is not set only once, but to lower the price this soon may not be optimal if you're trying to maximize profit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a little bit of an outside opinion (and not meaning to start a major flame war here):

Very few people have been afforded the opportunity to drive/bash an sc10 and the idea that you could compare the two is a bit ridiculous. My personal view is that ASSOSCIATED itself makes very, very, VERY good cars and have yet to come across one that is weak in any way. I have an rc18t & MGT (3.0 and 8.0), along with several friends that have all the other models. Not-a-one of them have ever complained about their trucks/cars being overly sensitive/breakable and we beat them to death every time we take them out (especialy within reason of the torture they are put through!)
    Traxxas on the other hand is pretty notorious for making easily breakable cars. (If you've ever worked at a hobby shop and had to deal with any of the T- or S-maxx's, Nitro Rustlers, E-Maxx's, or Bandit, you know exactly what I'm talking about) As a matter of fact, the Slash is the ONLY exception I've seen to Traxxas' poor durability in any model I've ever dealt with (my hat is definately off to them for this achievement. Finally Traxxas has become hobby quality!), and even then they break on a regular basis when you are beating the crap out of them (like I said, within reason of the torture you are extolling on the truck). Given the benefit of doubt, Traxxas has finally stumbled on a real winner, and they will try to cling to that as long as possible. Will they be able to hold the lead? I seriously doubt it. Sure they'll still sell tons of them (especially because they're cheap), but I wouldn't doubt many drivers will jump ship and run to the sc10 once the real reviews start pouring in and the fears are confirmed/denied depending on which side of the fence you stand on (or even better, get both!!!). There's no denying who'll win in a race and which truck has more bang for your buck (sc10), the only big question is which is more durable. I bet 3/4 of Slash owners will crap their pants if the sc10 holds up just as well, if not better than the Slash (and everyone knows it!).

In the end, you absolutely can't go wrong with either truck. Maybe the Slash will suit you better. No one is here to say that it isn't, but you really gotta make the decision for yourself. I'm biased towards the AE because it looks better, it's better built, has much better quality parts already installed, as a brand is much better, and I already own an AE and love it. On top of that, the pricing is very close and I'm quite happy to pay the extra dough for a truck that's simply more worth it. Sorry to any offended readers, I just wanted to express my personal opinions and accept full responsibility for my post!
    Compass Knight 50 and Atom 500, Trex450SE, Savage X, Assciated SC10 and RC18t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok let me start by saying I am a Racer. I race an AE B4. I am by No means a Traxxas poster boy. That being said, I have recently driven the new AE SC10. While driving it (on a race track) It broke twice. The front arm each time. They are so thin, you can see it's bound to happen. Also, the area where the stock T4 chassis was extended in the front looks Very thin and May be prone to breaking. I have heard people are using the GT2 truck front arms and having good luck with that set up. I guess the bottom line is, I have Never broke my Slash. I think if you are a "Basher" that the Slash is the way to go. I am still planning on buying a SC10 for racing. Time will tell if It is the right way to go.
    Tamiya TRF-501X MS / DT-02 MS / Dyna Storm / Desert Gator / Frog
    Predator X10 / AE B4 Stealth / E MAXX / Twin Detonator /

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the same problems with my B4. A few little cartwheels and the arms would break almost every time. People here said the T4 is strong unlike the B4 and maybe it is, but maybe the SC10's are having similar problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

Wow children, grow up! Who cares. Its a stupid toy that your will get bored of in a month and then sell.

Who cares which one is better or whatever. They can both race, bash, and look good. Now be a man and make your own decision.
    ok well if these are just stupid toys why do you have them too?
    im just trying to get advice from other people to help me on my desicion.
    and of course i want the better one, thats why im here. i wanted to see the people who have owned the cars to see how the hold up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i dont want this thread to turn into an argruement over the prices and stuff, i honostly dont care about that.
    can we please just stay true to the topic?
    can the SC10 hold up to some bashing?

i looked at some more pics of the SC10 and the a-arms do look thin. how do those hold up? is there anything else that is kinda thin or cheaply made?
    i hear the gear box is like bulletproof on those. comparing pics to the slash, the SC10 looks more like thin and not as beefy, but the quality of the parts look better. idk, how do you guys compare?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you seen my crappy video in the official SC10 thread? I have been running the car at least 5x a week without any problems or anything breaking and it is bone stock no reinforced this or aluminum that... I have jumped this car, rolled it and flipped it many times without one break. If you're looking to drive it off your roof because you have nothing better to do then no this isn't the car for you. Maybe I'm lucky or whatever but right now all I can say is this is the most fun I have had with a single car since I started getting back into the hobby.

- It is not just a hobby it is an obsession

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Casper06

Have you seen my crappy video in the official SC10 thread? I have been running the car at least 5x a week without any problems or anything breaking and it is bone stock no reinforced this or aluminum that... I have jumped this car, rolled it and flipped it many times without one break. If you're looking to drive it off your roof because you have nothing better to do then no this isn't the car for you. Maybe I'm lucky or whatever but right now all I can say is this is the most fun I have had with a single car since I started getting back into the hobby.

lulz..those ppl who jump off houses are crazy. like the bashig to me isnt what you all think it is. i drive on my road...i jump off curbs...jump of those 1080 ramps...me and a bud make some jumps probably as high, maybe a lil higher than the 1080 ramps and thats about it. i have a xxx-t and that held up pretty well. and thats a racer. i dont plan on going to skateparks and driving my car of 10ft jumps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

anyone else get to see the sc10 bashing?
    how did the sc10 hold up to the bashing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For bashing and mixed driving, I think you're better off with the proven ruggedness of the Slash.

If you plan on going Velineon anyway, you'll get THAT cheaper in the Slash too.

The aftermarket for Slash is healthy, to say the least.

If you want to go racing without sinking a ton of money into it, you can set up the Slash as stock.

For racing in open classes the SC10 may be better some day in the future, when everyone figures out how to set it up.

Another thing is that when you break a part during a bashing session (even a non-extreme one) you're more likely to be able to find parts locally for the Slash, and get back in action within a couple days instead of a week.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your best bet is to check with your local hobby shop, which one do they stock? which one do they stock more parts for? do any of your friends have either one? if so ask if you can test drive it. i have not owned or driven the sc10 so i can't say anything good or bad on it. the slash is a very durable truck. the best one for you is .........up to you. which do you like most?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With more than 50+ bashing runs and one full day of racing with my SC10 I have yet to have any parts fail. Well not entirely true.

I had to replace the differential after bashing it through a 50 ft whoop section on our local Motorcross track. I hate the slipper clutch in any truck so I run them full tight. I did 5 full passes through the whoops at WOT. After another 25min of bashing I heard this grinding noise coming from the diff.

A trip to the LHS and $15.00 and I was back in business. I wouldn't expect any truck to handle that kinda abuse and was pleasantly surprised to see the SC10 work so well .

My friends on the other hand have had something break on the Slash everytime we have been out. Since they have upgraded to RPM parts no more issues.

HPI: E-Firestorm with Sidewinder and E-Firestorm with Novak
    Team Associated: SC10 in progress

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

never driven a sc10 but i have a slash and i love it so i think you will to
    Slash(with VXL)
    Blade SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We ran a slash spec class last year at out 8th scale outdoor track.

For the ENTIRE race season no one broke a single part. This is 8+ slashes racing weekly for months. The Slash is indestructible in stock form.
    What would Chuck Finley do?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've spent even more time driving both of them lately, and I prefer the SC10. Mainly because I prefer the way it handles itself.
    RCUniverse.com | Wattflyer.com | RCUvideos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

W/ some simple tuning(seems to be a lost art in the RTR era), the SC10 is hands down a better racer.

The Slash is tough as nails and a great basher, but the SC10 is no slouch either. W/ some simple mods (GT2 front arms) , it can take a good beating.
    DINKY RC / JP CUSTOM RC / THE DMG / FREQE DESIGNS.COM / HOLMES HOBBIES

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

slash all the way my friend has the sc10 we both have vxl's in them and mine handles better and is faster and drives better, more ground clearance, the slash is an awesome truck and is just super tough, ive jumped mine over my house hitting the ramp at 40+ and just flew like 30-40 feet in the air landed and did it again and plus traxxas is the most reliable bran d i think their support is awesome and the have tons of hop-ups if ur just going to b bashing then deffinately get the slash!!!!

-zack
    If your not living on the edge, ur taking up way to much space!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please elaborate exactly how your Slash handles "better" than the SC10 w/ the battery mounted and inch and a half higher than the SC10? A higher CG has always led to poorer handling on my race vehicles.

If you both have the VXL system and yours is "faster", why is that? Do you use the same motor, same battery, same gearing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He's the kid who said he was doing half mile wheelies on a 7cell, just ignore him. Chances are he hasn't driven a sc10.
    Real revo\'\'s are built not bought.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Half mile wheelies?[X(]

Sweeeeeeet!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow u guys dont get it i said i was exagerating and ya me and my friend race at larry's rc's in sterling heights mi both run vxl 7 cell 4500 mah same gearing so ya keep talking and he says he wish that he had a slash, we always trade to try something new so shut up
    If your not living on the edge, ur taking up way to much space!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dezfan

Please elaborate exactly how your Slash handles "better" than the SC10 w/ the battery mounted and inch and a half higher than the SC10? A higher CG has always led to poorer handling on my race vehicles.
    This is the crux of the issue. The SC10 has a much lower CG - so you can run your ride height a good 1/2" higher and still have less body roll. I have a slash that is upgraded and it is very fun - but I think the SC10will be a better performingtruck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast