Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
SC10
46.07%
Slash
53.93%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

SC10 or Slash (read before voting)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
barefootdaniel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC10 or Slash (read before voting)

mmmk so. I was ready to buy a Slash and i had my mind set on it. Yet i now see the SC10 comes RTR! How do you guys think it will compare to the slash? I plan on putting a VXL in the car i get, whether its the slash or SC10. I am going to be bashing but not like INSAIN. I really on do jumps like 2-3ft high and i drive it on the road too.

So what do you guys think?

comments welcome
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: SC10 or Slash (read before voting)

From what I've seen the SC10 is going to be good race truck after some tuning and some front end work. So far there seems to be a lot of people that say the front end is really sloppy.

If you are in a hurry to buy and think you are just going to bash then buy the Slash. It's a great truck a you won't be disappointed. If you are not in a hurry then wait and let other beat on the SC10 and see what would breaks.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
barefootdaniel

seems like slash is winning.
how does the stock electronic compare on both>?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: barefootdaniel
how does the stock electronic compare on both>?
Well I think I'd rather have the 17-turn reedy combo than the Titan, with the titans you never really know what you are going to get. But then if you want to race, the 17-turn puts you into a modified class, but is far weaker than most mod setups. It would be better to just put a good 19-turn (super stock) motor in it.

Personally if I were going to get the SC10 I would avoid the RTR, just get the kit and put in your motor and ESC of choice. I think you'll find RTRs often aren't actually 'ready to run'... a true RTR is just a fallacy or a pipe dream. If people are complaining about the front end being loose and all that other stuff. Hobby shops might still have some kits in stock before they are phased out in favor of the RTRs.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
barefootdaniel

yeah i see what you mean. im not a racer so the classes just dont matter to me.
and i dont really tune my stuff very often. maybe like once every other month or so. im just a kid that likes to just and go fast (but not high, im scared of that lol)
Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Access

If you're not going to race definately the 17-turn motor is better, you can replace the brushes and all that, with the titan you're just going to have to get a new motor every so often. The titans are very inconsistent, sometimes a given titan runs for months and other times it dies after only several runs.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Chris_RC

Never buy a truck based on your poll. IMO polls for what car to get threads are useless, as whatever car is more popular (this being the slash) will always win.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
barefootdaniel

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Never buy a truck based on your poll. IMO polls for what car to get threads are useless, as whatever car is more popular (this being the slash) will always win.
yeah i know what you mean. But ive never driven either of them so i kinda have to go off what people say.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
04DarkShadowGT

The slash will win this poll simply because there are a ton of slash fans who have only had the slash.

The SC10 RTR for $230 is worth the extra $30 over the Slash RTR for $199.

It handles better, it jumps better, it has better shocks, it has a better designed transmission, it is more adjustable, it has better tires, it is just a better engineered truck.

It is based of a championship breed T4 where the slash is a combination of a stampede and rustler with a few new pieces thrown in.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
barefootdaniel

but the issue is will it stand up to the bashing?
i know the slash in literally indesructable...lol but how does the sc10 compare?
im not the normal basher. i still make sure that the stuff i do isnt crazy. i do small stuff. max jump is prob about 4 ft...MAX.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
midntpumkin

i know the slash in literally indesructable...lol but how does the sc10 compare?
im not the normal basher. i still make sure that the stuff i do isnt crazy. i do small stuff. max jump is prob about 4 ft...MAX.
lol i broke my slash the first day out, i jumped it maybe 2 ft off the ground it went a bit squirly and landed off chamber on the right rear tire, snapped the hub. i have gone trough 4 rear hubs 2 front hubs and on my 4th yea 4th titan 12t motor, all have been broken in with the under water method using 2 d batteries for a 1/2 hour under water. every titan i have had died at the 25th lipo battery pack ,each battery lasts 15 minuts . now i am in the prosses of building the SC10 i am just about done so if we get some good weather this weekend i will tell you if its a good basher or a better truck than the slash.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
barefootdaniel

ORIGINAL: midntpumkin

lol i broke my slash the first day out, i jumped it maybe 2 ft off the ground it went a bit squirly and landed off chamber on the right rear tire, snapped the hub. i have gone trough 4 rear hubs 2 front hubs and on my 4th yea 4th titan 12t motor, all have been broken in with the under water method using 2 d batteries for a 1/2 hour under water. every titan i have had died at the 25th lipo battery pack ,each battery lasts 15 minuts . now i am in the prosses of building the SC10 i am just about done so if we get some good weather this weekend i will tell you if its a good basher or a better truck than the slash.
looking forward to the review
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
barefootdaniel

oh and is there a diff between the SC10 kit and RTR?
besides the fact that the RTR is well..RTR
Old 04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Go read some of the slash posts on here, they are hardly indestructible.

Shock caps popping off, broken bearing carriers, weak c hubs, spur gear issues, questionable motor quality.

There certainly is nothing wrong with the slash and its a good truck for the $$ and yes if you go crazy when you bash it may be more bash proof after you replaces some of the mentioned parts with aluminum or RPM replacements.

But also consider what your local hobby shop, if you have one, supports the most. Its nice to be able to walk in and gets parts if possible.

oh and is there a diff between the SC10 kit and RTR?
besides the fact that the RTR is well..RTR
As far as I can tell nothing other than the electronics and finished body.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
FairTax4me

Wait, $200 for the SC10 kit, but for only $30 more you get motor, ESC, radio, and servo? AND it's pre-built, AND comes with a painted body that would normally cost $65!?!?! What kinda sense does that make? [&:]
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 PM
barefootdaniel

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Wait, $200 for the SC10 kit, but for only $30 more you get motor, ESC, radio, and servo? AND it's pre-built, AND comes with a painted body that would normally cost $65!?!?! What kinda sense does that make? [&:]
thats why im considering it
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Access

1) Associated gets those items OEM for much less than you would normally buy them retail, it would cost you $65. but it doesn't cost them anywhere near that much. 2) Economies of scale, RTRs sell more so they don't need to make as much profit per unit. Don't be at all surprised if in a few months the RTR actually costs less than the kit, simply b'cos of competition among retailers at a time when the number of retailers stocking the kit is limited.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having driven both, I'd get the SC10 hands down. Better handling and suspension response in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM
MaddMatt

Sounds to me like... with what you want to do, The slash will do you just fine. The tranny is spec'd for the VXL system to run in it, and that would make it insane! But for the money and quality, to just pull it out of the box and run simplicity, I'd say go for the slash. Traxxas has a huge selection of after market hop up parts support, so as your budget allows, the sky is the limit. If you can come up with the extra $80... go for the Rustler VXL. I am running a Losi Aftershock/XXL Frankenstein Nitro with hundreds of hours and Dollars in mods and up keep, but I've got a good mind to grab a Slash myself just to relax... If only they sold it in a VXL version

Nothing against the AE truck, but it just doesn't sound to me like your not looking for the Hard core race machine. But there is always the Slash race class if you should decide to try it out later.[8D]
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
barefootdaniel

ORIGINAL: MaddMatt

Nothing against the AE truck, but it just doesn't sound to me like your not looking for the Hard core race machine. But there is always the Slash race class if you should decide to try it out later.[8D]
yeah i dont care about racing, but if the extra $30 will get me a better motor and esc then i might as well go for it...also the SC10 looks better
Old 04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
cuzican

yeah i dont care about racing, but if the extra $30 will get me a better motor and esc then i might as well go for it...also the SC10 looks better
That depends on how much money you wanna spend on broken parts. I havn't seen an sc10 run yet (will tonight) but after looking at my friends sc10 while he was building it the other day I can tell you that its gonna be a great race machine...but if you bash it you're gonna spend most of your time and money fixing it. It looks really tune-able and has a great CG......but it isn't gonna take the beating that you can hand to a slash.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
barefootdaniel

ORIGINAL: cuzican

That depends on how much money you wanna spend on broken parts. I havn't seen an sc10 run yet (will tonight) but after looking at my friends sc10 while he was building it the other day I can tell you that its gonna be a great race machine...but if you bash it you're gonna spend most of your time and money fixing it. It looks really tune-able and has a great CG......but it isn't gonna take the beating that you can hand to a slash.

and thats the answer ive been waiting for, will it take the beating? so the slash is just more of a basher build compared to the SC10 which is more of a racer build?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 PM
FairTax4me

ORIGINAL: Access

1) Associated gets those items OEM for much less than you would normally buy them retail, it would cost you $65. but it doesn't cost them anywhere near that much. 2) Economies of scale, RTRs sell more so they don't need to make as much profit per unit. Don't be at all surprised if in a few months the RTR actually costs less than the kit, simply b'cos of competition among retailers at a time when the number of retailers stocking the kit is limited.
I realize that, but the point I was trying to make is that the kit version is just way overpriced. They could bring the kit price down to $150 and make it a much more appealing option for the people who want the SC10, but don't necessarily want or need the radio and other equipment. Suppose you want one of the licensed bodies, but don't want the RTR, you end up paying more money for less stuff. For the same $265 you can get the RTR with the body you want and then some extra goodies like spare parts or hop up parts. Of course they're going to sell more RTRs when there's no marketable advantage to getting the kit besides building it yourself.

I'd also like to see how tough the SC10 is. I'd kinda like to get one to cruise around with now and then, but if it isn't though enough to handle a moderate amount of crash and bash then I think I'll keep my money for a roller after they've been out a while.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Access

I realize that, but the point I was trying to make is that the kit version is just way overpriced. They could bring the kit price down to $150 and make it a much more appealing option for the people who want the SC10, but don't necessarily want or need the radio and other equipment. Suppose you want one of the
Who is 'They'? Associated doesn't control the price, the retailers do. They can sell it to the retailers for less, but there's no gaurantee it will get prices down especially with the RTR out now. How many retailers are willing to even stock a kit... the product lifetime of that kit is essentially over. The only thing that determines 'overpriced' is how much people are willing to pay. Without retail competition to drive prices down, that kit price is just going to stay where it is no matter what Associated does. You might see some dumping as dealers try to move their remaining kits but it will probably be short-lived.

It's a tricky situation economically b'cos even if they were to flood the market with kits or the price were to magically drop to the level you state, or even $100. say, there are short-circuit things to push it back up. Like the people who buy the kits and then split them up and sell the individual parts on e-bay for more. This pushes the demand back up, the price rises back to the actual parted value that a parter can get for it. Internet economics can be really strange, just last year you had things like live.com doing a search tie-in with e-bay which caused a lot of things to be sold at prices that they normally wouldn't be sold at, b'cos live.com would give the buyer 25% cash back so everyone won at their expense. But if you create a situation where a profiteer can buy the product and then turn around and sell it for more on e-bay or something similar for more...

Anyways it's sad to be saying it, but that's my analysis. That kit is probably dead... if I end up eating my own words 3-6 months from now, then we can all be happy b'cos of it, but today I think that's perfectly realistic. I'd love for there to be kits of RTR vehicles (rather than these 'factory team' high end racing kits) at a substantial cost savings but it just ain't going to happen in this day and age.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Frankfka

Id think if you jump the slash and SC10 on the same jump the SC10's more likely to break

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.