Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Project bulletproof stampede!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project bulletproof stampede!

I was just looking at videos of people jumping 20+ feet in a skate park and landing on flat cement and doing tons of crazy stuff and I doubt my stampede would hold up to that. I thinking I would try and upgrade my stampede to make it near bulletproof as possible. I'll try and do it with around $150 if its possible. I already have some upgrades though!
Things I have on it now are
RPM bearing carriers
RPM wide bumper
RPM a arms all around
Duratrax 5x11 bearings all around
Aluminum shock caps on the front
Custom aluminum wheely bar
Custom stronger pin to hold on gear the spur gear shaft inside the tranny case, forgot what that gear is called
Mamba Max/VXL motor combo
Aluminum Idler
Steel ring gear diff case
Masher 2K's on RPM Clawz rims
Pro-line Chevy body
VXL steering rods
Steel outdrives

-on order-2x 2s1p 4000mah zippy lipos, Thunder AC-6 lipo charger, new servo case

Right now I hope to get
Hitec HS MG servo-$35
Ofna servo saver-$7?
big bore shocks-around $50?
STRC aluminum caster blocks $20?
maybe an aluminum front bulkhead-??
RPM shock towers-??

So far that's probably about $130-150 Any suggestions on what to bullet proof it will be very helpful! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Project bulletproof stampede!

With all that aluminum it is going to be heavy.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 PM
traxxaspede

eh...it will help keep the front wheels down...
STRC bulkhead is $25 and castor blocks are $17

has anyone used their shocks for the stampede? I think I wuld get big bores anyway, it would come out cheaper...maybe some Titanium hinge pins...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 AM
overrev

Don't kid yourself it won't be bulletproof things will bend instead of break. I known learned the hard way by doing the same. It's cheaper just to replace with stock parts and it keeps it lighter.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stick with RPM parts. Aluminum is not your friend when you start extreme bashing. It will just bend and then you get to throw it in the trash. I also noticed you have the steel diff but the aluminum idler. I'd swap that out for the steel idler. The Steel top gear and diff gear will eat up the aluminum idler. I made that mistake.

Not sure the big bores are worth the money. When I need shocks I typically just search Ebay for someone parting out a Losi or assoc truck. I have XXX-T shocks on one of my Pede's. It sits slightly lower but I'm happy with it. Best part is I can typically get them for about $20 shipped and they've taken all the abuse I can throw at them
Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM
traxxaspede

ok thanks for all the input. the $20 shocks are those front and rear for $20? and i think that an aluminum bulkhead would be heavy but ive already ripped one out. and i guess RPM castors instead the STRC ones. does anyone make a stronger bulkhead?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That was $20 for all 4 shocks.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
traxxaspede

sweet i'll have to check it out. maybe just some titanium hinge pins and a fiberglass or cf brace instead of an aluminum bulkhead...
Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 PM
traxxaspede

here my tower hobbies shopping cart right now. The price for that is $91.10 with $4.99 for shipping, STRC right now I have just the caster blocks $17.99 and $8.99 shipping and on ebay the best I could find is a brand new unassembled XXX-NT adam drake shot kit with 4 shocks for $49.99 and $7.95 shipping. I also might get the set of STRC steel locknut hinge pins for $16.99. It's a set of 8 for the rear and front a arms and caster/axle carriers. heres a [link=http://www.teamstrc.com/ebproductdetail.asp?catmainid=1&id=346]Linky Link[/link]
or should i get lunsford titanium ones?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Budget Monty

I have a slash that sees alot of skatepark action, and am very good at "testing" for bulletproofness. I have almost every RPM part made (I dont have the skidplates yet, as I have not seen them available anywhere in black yet). But I can not stress this enough: DO NOT BUY THE RPM REAR BEARING CARRIERS! They are twice as fragile as the stock ones, I could barely get through one battery pack without breaking one. I switched to the aluminum rear traxxas ones and have never had any issues since, and I beat my truck hard! There are few aluminum parts I would actually suggest, but these are a definately a solid purchase! Avoid aluminum parts that come in direct contact with anything in a collision.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Redvanmafia

Its not hard to do, stampede's are so easy to make bulletproof. off the bat they dont weigh very much, -5lbs so when it does hit something its not a brutal impact of a 50mph 10lb truck, use rpm parts, and thats it. my stampede is Bulletproof, with no aluminum on it. i cant break my rpm parts, my buddy has a stock stampede, and he breaks parts left right and center. RPM and forget about it. i would like to get an aluminum front bulkhead its starting to show signs of fatigue[>:]
Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 AM
traxxaspede

Budget Montey, not sure if you noticed, but in the first post the RPM bearing carriers were on the list of things I already have. I have no problem with them..I think ive had them about a year now..unless you meant the caster blocks? If you get the skid plates soon, tell me how they are because I might need to get some. I've already broken two rear skid plates...
Old 04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

Budget Montey, not sure if you noticed, but in the first post the RPM bearing carriers were on the list of things I already have. I have no problem with them..I think ive had them about a year now..unless you meant the caster blocks? If you get the skid plates soon, tell me how they are because I might need to get some. I've already broken two rear skid plates...
You said you wanted it bulletproof. I may drive a bit harder than you, I broke 4 RPM rear bearing carriers in 2 days. I had much better luck with the stock ones, but eventually went with Taxxas aluminum ones and have never looked back. My front RPM bearing carriers and caster blocks have never had an issue, they are much stronger than my stock ones. The rear RPM ones are just to thin right around the bearing area. Hear is what I have on my truck:

-RPM front bearing carriers
-RPM front a-arms
-RPM rear a-arms
-RPM castor blocks
-RPM front shock tower
-RPM rear shock tower
-RPM gear cover
-RPM rear bumper mount
-Mamba Max
-Velineon motor

The only beakage I ever see now is the rear a-arm mounts on the transmission (Waiting for my Integy aluminum transmission to fix this), and bending or axles and suspension screw pins (Will be switching to titanium hinge pins soon). I run 12C NiMh very often, and with that comes big crashes!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM
traxxaspede

ah...so its just the rears. maybe ill get some traxxas ones if i have a problem with them.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

ah...so its just the rears. maybe ill get some traxxas ones if i have a problem with them.
Yeah, my RPM front bearing carriers have bben great, not one broken RPM part period other than the rear RPM bearing carriers, they were far weaker than the stock rears. I hope they update the design. If you look around, this is a very common complaint. I drive my truck super hard, and I only ever got through one run without breaking an RPM rear carrier. And just to prove that I am not another forumgoer that just exagerates stuff to make my point...