Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Picked up a neat little gadget today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Picked up a neat little gadget today...

Anyone else have one of these?

How useful are they? Seems like it would be right useful for determining if a motor or ESC is running too hot, and maybe a few other things around the house. (see if the pizza is going to burn the roof of my mouth without actually having to do it, etc)

It is about the diameter of a AA battery and is about 50% longer.

To operate it, just point it at the object whose temperature is to be measured, (as close as possible) press and hold the button for a couple seconds, and that's it. When the button is released, it holds the reading for 15 sec. then shuts down.

For those outside the US, it has a recessed button on the back to change to °C.

The chrome cap on the butt end threads into the aluminum body and holds the 2 LR44 button batteries in place. (LR44 are the most common size of button cell batteries; way too big for a watch)

It was $30 at the LHS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18167.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1187170  
Old 04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
drewmaloy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picked up a neat little gadget today...

cool cool. wonder how accurate it is...
Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Jeremy Z

ORIGINAL: drewmaloy

cool cool. wonder how accurate it is...
I think the spec. sheet says +/- 2% of reading. So a reading of 195°F could be between 191-199.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
budha24

Sweet I might have to get one for work I repair coffee and resturaunt equipment that would come in handy compred to my old one.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Jeremy Z

budha, it may or may not be handy for you.

When I was waiting for my wife to get a latté at Starbucks, I was playing around with it, measure temps. under the hood of my car. When I pointed it at the exhaust header pipes, it just read: "hi."

I think it may have a 200° limit or something. You may want to look at one that goes higher if you'll be troubleshooting hot plates and such.

If we meet up and run together some time (we're local, I'm in Round Lake Beach) you can definitely check it out.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:27 AM
budha24

Yep definately need over 200 oh well. Ill shoot yah a pm next time we all set up a time to run. Do you ever go to the Hobbytown in Crystal Lake if not you should check it out they should have their race shedule up by now.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that same temp gun for my nitros. Great temp gun, very useful, very accurate in my experience, just be very careful with it. If you drop it, it probably wont work anymore. I have gone through 3 of them so far because they rolled off my pit table or fell out of my pocket or something at the track. But be gentle with them and they last a long time, work great. Would be the best temp gun I ever had if it weren't so fragile. And it will go alot higher than 200° F, I think it will go to 400° F if I remember correctly.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Jeremy Z

Krawlin - thanks for the experience. The exhaust headers (real car) must've been hotter than 400° then.

I took off the rear cap to have a look inside, and the threading on the inside of the rear cap is very finnicky. If you drop one again and it stops working, take that cap off, make sure the batteries are still in right, and put the cap back on, being very careful not to cross thread it and I bet it works again. These things are solid-state, so it should take one hell of a hit to really damage them.

If I drop this one and it really is broken somehow, I surely won't buy another one, hehehe.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:06 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Hobbycity has one like that for about $12 shipped.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

I picked up a Losi temp gun at the LHS only because that was all they had at the time, but it really turned out to be a great little tool. If you're like me and have nitro as well as electric, the flathead screw driver end is convenient, too. If that laser one fails, you might give it a try. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66858.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	1187898