Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
We Are Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

No, I'm good. Every question Ihad about it's construction has been addressed. Muchas gracias.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
dakotanut

I didn't want to read all through the thread. Sorry. How do you like Thundertiger products? I was looking at them and really have no clue. The LHS stocks some of their stuff but not all of it. I like the Sparrowhawk XB. It is the buggie. Are they really owned by AE? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Dan H

You have it the other way around. TT owns AE. I don't have the XB, but I saw one at a hobbystore. Its similar to the XT so it should be a very tough basher. For pur racing, I'd get something else though.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 PM
dakotanut

Ok. That is what I was hoping for. I'm gonna ask this. Even though it is probably a stupid question. By AE, you mean Associated Electronics right? Or is there some other brand named AE? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Dan H

Yup, Associated Electrics aka Team Associated
Old 10-01-2009, 09:03 PM
dakotanut

WOW! That is good to know. So which one is better? Or are they about the same?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:46 AM
nathanio

ORIGINAL: kshoopman

How about a pic with the chrome wheels and the shell on.
sorry ran out of time last weekend, this weekend I promise!

She goes like stink thats for sure, with a tightened slipper she wheelies with only 75% dialed in and grips like a trooper.

You can see some commanality creeping in between the brands (such as the diff in the SC10 looks identical) and the Pheonix II is a carbon copy of the AE T3. AE seems to be on top of their game still and improving with products such as the rc8e etc.

I would buy another Thunder Tiger product again and also AE products
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Dan H

ORIGINAL: dakotanut

WOW! That is good to know. So which one is better? Or are they about the same?

Well, it depends on which car/truck. Generally, the Associated kits I had/have were meant for racing. I wouldn't say their cars/trucks are bulletproof but they are meant to handle better than most cars in their repsective class. Thunder Tiger stuff tends to be oriented to the basher types with the exception of a few competitive 1/8th race buggies in the past. Also, Associated monster trucks were designed overseas by Thunder Tiger, not by Associated engineers (correct me if I'm wrong.) So there is some sharing going on. And I bet B4 spurs fit the Sparrowhawk too.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 PM
dakotanut

Ok. Just wanted to know from the experts here. My wife really likes the XB. I was told it was garbage. Same people don't like AE either. So I like to ask around to see the consensus on things before I jump on the band wagon. I'm open to all of the manufacturers. I think it looks awesome and I've heard it is a really good vehicle. Parts are hard to get cause they must be ordered. The is the only con I know of. If some parts are interchangeable with AE stuff then it shouldn't be that hard. Thanks for the help. If I hijacked I'm very sorry. Yall have a great day and weekend.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Dan H

It's a good buggy. Race buggies like the Kyosho ZX-5 FS, Associated B44, and the likes are not really meant for bashing because they break a lot easier and require a little more maintenance. Going into the $200 class 4WD buggies, we also have the HPI Cyber 10B (which is a nice mix of race/sport) but I doubt it is as strong as a Sparrowhawk. Plus keep in mind it has ball diffs, which require rebuilds and a slipper clutch is almost a must if you're going to run hot motors. Theres the regular ZX-5 RTR but its a bit fragile, and then you have the various Tamiya 4WD buggies. Some of which are ball diff equipped and still with no slipper. The Tamiya buggies are probably just as bulletproof as the Sparrowhawk but it will cost you a little more.

The XB is very well quipped with ball bearings, slipper, tough drivetrain, and CVA's all around. If you're just bashing or doing very mild club racing, it's a solid buggy for its price. That's why I got my XT. I can do crazy things like my 1/8th E-buggy can do and it will handle the abuse.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Dan H

Some updated pics.

Black front swaybars, gold rear sway bars, Tomahawk nylon wing, and Traxxas Slash aluminum big bore shocks installed. They are a perfect fit and super smooth.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 AM
losifiend

Man, these truggies look really good. How are you guys finding parts? How long does it take for you to recieve them?

You should solder your motor connectors and loose those cheap bullets. They generate alot of heat due to high resistance. Truck looks good though!!
ORIGINAL: nathanio

Quick update for pictures and such

Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
dakotanut

Awesome. It will be used to bash and for some mild club racing. I'll have to reconsider it now. Did you put the brushless system in it or does it come with it?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
kshoopman

losifiend, the parts i've ordered from thundertiger4u have only taken a couple of days. They claim to have 90% of thunder tiger parts listed on their web sight in stock.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
nathanio

ORIGINAL: losifiend

Man, these truggies look really good. How are you guys finding parts? How long does it take for you to recieve them?

You should solder your motor connectors and loose those cheap bullets. They generate alot of heat due to high resistance. Truck looks good though!

Already taking care of this, got some 3.5mm gold bullets coming and will get them swapped as soon as

dakotanut

My brushless was added after; the two options direct from TTR is the XT which is brushed and the XXT which is a brushless version

kshoopman

As promised buddy

Just waiting on my radio set to get back to me as it died the other day and can run it again. I am getting some toe out on the front wheels and unsure of why at the moment. Maybe I should invest in some turnbuckles or just keep saving for the e-Revo VXL!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM
nathanio

ORIGINAL: Dan H

Some updated pics.

Black front swaybars, gold rear sway bars, Tomahawk nylon wing, and Traxxas Slash aluminum big bore shocks installed. They are a perfect fit and super smooth.
I may have to pick up some big bore shocks from the slash when I am over in the states next year as they are just under $100 over here The dual rate springs look like they'll soak up the bad stuff nicely

How are you finding the sway bars?

How you like the tomahawk wing? Much more durable (and looks better imo) although mine is suffering from some scrapes on the rear wing due to wheelies!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:32 PM
kshoopman

Thanks for the pics nathanio. Looks good with the chrome wheels. The big bore shocks sound like a great idea.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 PM
mail4ajo

I am upgrading my XB servos. What do you guys suggest? Something not very expensive, but gets the buggy to turn well and ofcourse metal gear. Prefer analog one. Hitec is the most easily available servos in India.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:50 AM
nathanio

I was considering swapping mine to a Traxxas waterproof unit as my ESC and motor are waterproof and I have waterproofed my Rx
Old 10-25-2009, 09:53 PM
jamie007

ORIGINAL: mail4ajo

I am upgrading my XB servos. What do you guys suggest? Something not very expensive, but gets the buggy to turn well and ofcourse metal gear. Prefer analog one. Hitec is the most easily available servos in India.
Just thought I'd chime in. I picked up one of these a few weeks ago and been loving it, but needed some mods to make it more track worthy imho. I've placed a few orders from TT so far and got my parts within 2 business days every time. I'm in NV and they are in CA so that helps!

I personally would recomment something with at least 140oz of torque, I'm using a Futaba BLS451 that has 147oz of torque. Kinda pricey but I was using another one that had about 120oz of torque and with the truggy wheels, wasn't quite enough to keep it straight all the time. The Hitec HS-5625MG or HS-985MG should work well and isn't too expensive. Since you have the buggy these should be more then enough.

I went with Associated T4 Factory team shocks, VS2 Shock caps, and RPM dual stage pistons and this thing handles like a champ! Also I got rid of the crappy grease in the diff's and used 7k diff oil in the front and 5k in the rear. Seems to work really well. However next time I'm going to try 10k in the front and 7k rear.

You can use a T4/B4 72t Spur gear but nothing bigger unless you mod the plate under it. You have to drill out the center hole to 5mm, it's just barely too small. You will have to use T4 slipper pads as well. The pads are slightly larger then stock but seem Ok, just barely ran it for a few minutes today, and was very pleased. I was having trouble with the stock gears getting shredded and getting dirt in the gears. I made a gear cover out of lexan and it seems to work really well.

I tried HPI wheels and the offset is way off, like 6-8mm too wide. Anything out there with the correct offset besides stock?

I'm looking into getting lusford links, does anyone know what thickness I need and what length's?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11432.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1302042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68735.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1302043  
Old 10-25-2009, 11:52 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

How are you guys liking these trucks?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM
kshoopman

ORIGINAL: srt10

How are you guys liking these trucks?
I am really liking mine. My shocks are my biggest complaint. Seems like the shock caps pop off after 4-5 runs. I plan on getting traxxas big bore shocks to put on it,but I might just put the big bores on my slash and put the stock slash shocks on the sparrowhawk. I had a brushless motor to put in it but it went into the slash instead. I also had to make screen covers to keep pebbles from shredding my spur gear.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Sh1mmy

Where can you buy the XXT?
I have had a look around, but can't find anywhere (aside from one place here in Aussie but its AU$450)

I know it has been covered already, but just how tough are these, could they handle a decent bash?
I am looking to get for my brothers chrissy pressie.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
gelbschnee

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/138556/n/Thunder-Tiger-Sparrowhawk-XT-1-10th-Stadium-TruckRTR-Red]Amainhobbies[/link] will send it to you for 199.99
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: gelbschnee

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/138556/n/Thunder-Tiger-Sparrowhawk-XT-1-10th-Stadium-TruckRTR-Red]Amainhobbies[/link] will send it to you for 199.99
Thanks for the reply but I would like to get him the brushless XXT.

Also, how is the parts support for these?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.