Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cooling for everything (runtime, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling for everything (runtime, etc.)?

The more I build and run 'custom' cooling systems, the more I see the benefits.

I recently added one to my E-Revo MMM and that alone gives me measurably longer runtimes, 10-15% longer on the same battery pack.
Before my motor ran in the 160-180F range and now it stays in the 120-140F range. The lesson is, don't just think "it's cooler than 180F, so it's okay, no need to worry".

Cooler is always better, and the difference between a motor running at 130F vs. 180F is measurable in terms of runtime, etc. In theory, cooler means less motor resistance, and we also know the magnetic strength of a neodynium magnet becomes weaker (temporarily) as temperature rises.

The thing about cooling that bugs me is that basically every effective system I've made for my trucks has been custom. Most of the off-the-shelf setups are simply incompatible with my vehicles, vehicles which alone are nothing unusual among RC hobbyists. I want to future trucks designed with cooling in mind, or at least considered.

If you've ever tried to do add-on cooling to the motor of a typical stadium truck and you know what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMcjX...e=channel_page

When I say custom, I necessarily mean parts I make or create, just mish-mashes of parts that aren't really intended in the way they are used. For instance, for the E-Revo MMM cooling above, I use some aluminum sheet metal (thin enough to cut with a pair of good scissors), steel siding from Home Depot, a number of TC3 heatsinks, and a 50mm, high-RPM 5V fan from digi-key.

It's not that I like custom, it's a lot of work and sometimes it just falls apart in the field. I wish there were ready-made, rugged, usable solutions out there but today, I haven't found many that are 1) effective and 2) can be used in my setups. I'm always having to add stuff on, or modify, to make something that actually works and works well.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cooling for everything (runtime, etc.)?

now that i have a temp gauge and can check the temps of my Havoc with and without the cooling mods I can see a huge difference before I put the fan on the esc it ran 120f now with fan its 100f the motor before was 140f now with the heatsink and heatsink paste it runs 120f thats 20f cooler for both motor and esc.And thats with a 19t pinion and 7 cell sxs 5000mah battery with 25 minute runtimes.
So I am happy with the lower temps.