Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

THE SUMMIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
evo guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE SUMMIT

Hey i have ahd my summit for about a month now and have not been to amazed with the machine. IT is in my opinion that it is a sturdy platform for those who want to get started in crawling but may not want the hassle of a setup that has only one speed........ SUPER SLOW! There is nothing wrong with comp crawlers but the versiltility of the summit to be a half hearted crawler and then a half hearted basher is new and a good idea but needs refinment. At the same time i am looking for some hop-ups to get the excitment back, like when i first opened the box. Pictures of Summits welcome.[8D]
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: THE SUMMIT

that interesting that you post this because i just recently got back into R/C and was looking at one of those and i had the same questions. i already have a crawler and an e-maxx, and at first, the summit seemed cool. but the more i look at it, it just seems to try and do too much. how solid is the locking dif feature?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Access

What were you expecting out of it? It is what it is, part of the problem is people compare it to purpose-built trucks which are designed for doing one thing very well (like crawling competitions) and then reason 'well it can't do this as well, so compared to that (the purpose built), it sucks'. For real terrain and real driving, not an artificial setup like a crawling competition or a race on prepared ground, this is the thing.

I don't think you need hop-ups to bring back the excitement, just try taking the truck places it shouldn't be, try some outlaw driving or something like that. This truck is a nature lover's dream, badlands, forest, outlands, woods, mountain trails, jungles, I looked at a satellite map of where I lived and found many good places to drive this thing.

Another idea is if you have friends who feel the same way, tell them to dust it off, set up some makeshift tracks in the wilderness and have a race, a true off-road race with real terrain, again not a prepared track.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
drewmaloy
My Feedback: (7)

great idea access! performance wise. i've seen the monster momba max used in these. taking the speeds up to 45. pace
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
evo guy

i was not comparing them but was looking at the rigs from the point of a complete crawler novice. i also think the summit tries to be to many things. yeah it has a crawling mode and it has the Bash mode but they are in sync with the needs of the groups Traxxas tried to target, which are the guys looking to get into crawling but still being able to bash with it. If you don't belive me on the little difference of the speeds check out youtube. And the diffs are pretty tough but are plastic. Traxxas claims that they used high stregnth stuff ie, the same stuff as the bumpers on all off roaders offered by them. Now I'm not saying they not strong but i have broken all them on my S-MAXX, the first within the first hour. So i would like to see some companies come out with some Alum. ones. And that is a great idea taking the truck to new places too try to get it stuck and experience new terrain. [>:]