Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Bought a Tx instead of another car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bought a Tx instead of another car

It was damned hard to do, but even at the relatively low top speed of my stock Stampede, the steering was quite touchy at full throttle without any dual rates or expo. God forbid I get something fast and try to control it with a cheap Tx.

Picked up a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz yesterday. I'm a little disappointed that it is so bare bones with regard to accessories. No NiCd, no charger, no servo, and the same cost as the Spektrum DX3. (which includes two Rx's instead of one) The 10 model memories instead of 4 was hard to ignore though. I'm not sure why Spektrum's entry level radios are so chintzy with the memories; it is not an expensive feature to implement.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bought a Tx instead of another car

I am thinking of going 2.4ghz aswell......
Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally do not like the 3PM. IMO it doesnt feel good in your hand, unlike radios like the M8/M11 or DX3S/R. IMO Even the dx2.0 or 3.0 feels better. What you should do is go to your LHS and feel all the radios in your hand and see what you liek the best, then get that.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good move. I like my 3PM, and it works well. I've used many radios over the years I've been flying/driving, and the Futabas are hard to beat for all around value, function, and ergonomics. I have Spektrum gear, too, and it just feels "cheap" to me - the springs aren't smooth, the fit and finish aren't as nice. Works fine and I like it anyway though. Anyway, getting a quality radio was a good move, no matter what your preference.[8D]
Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Jeremy Z

I checked out a DX2 at my shop before buying the Futaba. I agree, the ergonomic fit is better on the Spektrums, as is the cosmetic quality of assembly and materials.

The Spektrums also come better-equipped.

However, reading user opinions here, the Futaba simply has a much better performance reputation. That is what it all came down to for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
MTboy

I never thought a good radio was a big thing till I got the DX6i for christmas to use with my heli's. Now I'm sold on having them for my trucks/cars and plan on getting one soon. I love all the tunning you can do atleast on the heli's and feel it would be great for my trucks. Hope you enjoy it and would like to hear back what you think after using a few times.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
fusebmx13

Yeah 3PM . That is what I use also. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a dx3.0 because of the range issues some have.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
traxxaspede

I want 2.4 also...I would really just be looking for the best deal, and i would proably but used. Im sure whatever radio i get, i'll get used to it.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
ShadowKiller

i use the 3pm too and love it. i didnt like the dx3 because it just felt cheap when i tried one out at my lhs
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Jeremy Z

I just did some of the basic programming at lunch here. It is kind of amazing how much functionality can be jammed into a menu system with only a few buttons. Trying to figure out how to set the programmable mix to reduce steering as more throttle is applied. Should be fun.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

i have to say, i finaly got sick of freq issues at my track on non organized race days so i got the dx2.0 (went stingy) i have to agree with buzz bomber, its cheap and doesnt feel right in my hand its not very smooth either the steering springs are really stiff and the wheel doesnt feel right, it shifts in your hand, i actualy liked the trx controler better for that very reason, the biggest complaint i have with it is the build quality, the seams between the halfs are very big and at a track like mine dirt is everywhere so thats a worry, also, the antenna is really flimsy.

overall im satisfied but i think i could have done better, i have used the dx3s and it seems better, i think im gonna look into it next time i get the $$$