Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Castle Creations Sidewinder 4600
25.29%
Castle Creations Sidewinder 5700
28.74%
Novak Havoc 8.5
32.18%
Speed Passion 3600
4.60%
LRP Eraser 9.5
6.90%
Team Losi Xcelorin Brushless 4800
2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Brushless poll!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:43 PM
For_The_Win

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless poll!!

I have listed possible brushless choices for me.. Im putting one of them in my Rc10t4. The coruse im raceing at is about medium sized and it requires very good accleration.

As you can tell there all under 200. I would really like it to be programable so there is no reverse but that dosent bother me at all..

But can anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with Speed passion, or the Losi?

AND TELL WHY YOU PICKED YOUR CHOICE. PLEASE DONT GO BY BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS ONE.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Brushless poll!!

I picked the Novak Havoc, because Novak is a top notch company. I haven't gone BL yet, but when I do I plan on using several of the Havoc systems for my RC collection. The price is right, the specs reveal that it's a good piece of equipment, and Novak's customer service is second to none. They are also very EASY to deal with if you ever have a warranty issue!

I have some friends with the CC BL systems, and they seem to work very well, but I've been a Novak guy for 20+ years and I'm not about to change a winning formula!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Access

Novak Havoc is a solid (club) racing setup for the lowest cost. I'm yet to find an off-road course that requires anything more than the havoc 8.5. And you don't sacrifice much with the cost, it still has everything you'd want.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I picked the Novak because it is sensored and will perform better at low RPM. Sensored brushless is more high-end, and Novak has always been know for good quality motors.

I'll likely go with a Novak system in the future for one of my own vehicles. (probably a 13.5 for me, as an 8T I couldn't gear down to where I'd want it.)

I think the CC Sidewinders are probably slightly more popular because of their marketing.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
grifballs

I have been looking into the Novak Havoc for my old Team Losi XXX myself. Is that Novak motor a 2 or 4 wheel drive one? And do you guys think that would be a good one for a buggy? Not trying to steal your thread.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

grif: Motors are not specific for 2 or 4WD. They'll work for either, if they're 1/10 scale.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
monsterbombs

i probably should have read the post better, your racing. the cogging
or possible cogging of the cc unit is its flaw. i voted for castle anyway.
i have a mamba max 6900, i have had it for ages and it has been through
everything and still runs like the day i got it. good pruduct.
a 6900 on 2s will give you acceleration.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: monsterbombs

i probably should have read the post better, your racing. the cogging
or possible cogging of the cc unit is its flaw. i voted for castle anyway.
i have a mamba max 6900, i have had it for ages and it has been through
everything and still runs like the day i got it. good pruduct.
a 6900 on 2s will give you acceleration.
Ok. But see i shouldov added more detail about my track. Its either go fast or go home there is no slow here. But also my mom said i can either order it tomarrow or like 3 months later. so sence the novak isnt in at tower or anything eles I did this. IM ordering the CC sidewinder esc, and 4600 motor seprate. i got a 20 discount so the differnece is like 5 bucks. I also go a 21 and i think 19 pinion, with the CC link.. and im good to go!!! Im running it with a orion 4500mah 6-cell. so im hoping about a 35 tp 40 mph car if i get it all locked in..
Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

i see no ezrun so vote for none of they above ..p,s lrp struggle to make a good brushed system let alone brushles .
Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
grifballs

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

grif: Motors are not specific for 2 or 4WD. They'll work for either, if they're 1/10 scale.
Thanks for info. Do you guys think the Novak Havoc is the winning hand for a XXX Team Losi (very old one)?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
FoamyVictim

I dunno about the other ones, but I can tell you my Xcelerin is JUNK. [:@]
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

i see no ezrun so vote for none of they above ..p,s lrp struggle to make a good brushed system let alone brushles .
No they dont LRP is one of the best there just very expensive, just like tekin. And ez run is out of the question becuase it in hong kong..
Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

I dunno about the other ones, but I can tell you my Xcelerin is JUNK. [:@]
I didnt really know. I was keeping my options open to everything.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

ORIGINAL: For_The_Win

No they dont LRP is one of the best there just very expensive, just like tekin. And ez run is out of the question becuase it in hong kong..
every lrp system i have had all be it has been brushed is junk .. tekin way a head hong kong or not
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
For_The_Win

every lrp system i have had all be it has been brushed is junk .. tekin way a head hong kong or not
It depends what you get.... Ive had there A.I systems and there amazing, and there flash motors are nice also.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Access

Ok. But see i shouldov added more detail about my track. Its either go fast or go home there is no slow here. But also my mom said i can either order it tomarrow or like 3 months later. so sence the novak isnt in at tower or anything eles I did this. IM ordering the CC sidewinder esc, and 4600 motor seprate. i
Really, that is kinda rare considering what most club tracks are like. They are designed to emphasize maximum skill and not raw power or speed. The emphasis for off-road club racing is consistency and not making any big mistakes during the race. One big mistake can cost you half a lap or more.

How do you do the starts? Is it stadium-style, IFMAR, or by-the-number? One thing to be aware of is tracks can evolve, ie. if it just becomes a speed-fest, your peers might refine the track farther to allow a more balanced competition that favors control.

LRP might have decent ESCs but their motors are awful. Of four motors, I had two rotor failures. I'll never touch another one of their motors, the only reason I was using them back then was b'cos that is what I could get.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

yip ai systems utter junk lasted a week on a stock brushed motor
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

may be if they were made in hong kong they would last longer .
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM
For_The_Win

Yeah they wont last long if you get them wet or coverd in dirt like that.. Considering your truck is covered in it...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

Yeah they wont last long if you get them wet or coverd in dirt like that.. Considering your truck is covered in it...
read the specs waterproof ..
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: Access

Ok. But see i shouldov added more detail about my track. Its either go fast or go home there is no slow here. But also my mom said i can either order it tomarrow or like 3 months later. so sence the novak isnt in at tower or anything eles I did this. IM ordering the CC sidewinder esc, and 4600 motor seprate. i
Really, that is kinda rare considering what most club tracks are like. They are designed to emphasize maximum skill and not raw power or speed. The emphasis for off-road club racing is consistency and not making any big mistakes during the race. One big mistake can cost you half a lap or more.

How do you do the starts? Is it stadium-style, IFMAR, or by-the-number? One thing to be aware of is tracks can evolve, ie. if it just becomes a speed-fest, your peers might refine the track farther to allow a more balanced competition that favors control.

LRP might have decent ESCs but their motors are awful. Of four motors, I had two rotor failures. I'll never touch another one of their motors, the only reason I was using them back then was b'cos that is what I could get.
The starts they use both. As for there motors ive ran there gt series and the flash and im likeing them.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
JUSTPASSEDU
My Feedback: (20)

I picked the sidewinder and 4600kv motor , due to the fact that you can program the sidewinder via the computer and set so many different things to your own liking. The 4600kv motor also has good torque and good top end. I actually just had a friend get into rc and he got this setup in his traxxas bandit and its perfect. I personally have a mambamax and vxl motor and it can pretty much do the same as the sidewinder but i just find the vxl motor a better option for me due to it having a little more torque. The fact that i can tune my speed control on the computer is also a plus for me and adds to the fun. The customer service is also great with castle creations and they are helpfull , well goodluck and most of your choices up there are pretty good for the most part i used to have the mamba and 5700 in my b4 and it was really fast but to crazy for the track and gearing that motor to stay cool was a pain aswell , novak is also a great choice ...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Chris_RC

Any of the sensored systems would be good. But whatever you do, DO NOT GET ANY CASTLE PRODUCTS FOR RACING! I cannot emphasise this enough, Castle products were just not made for racing. Ive never big to a medium sized track that requires a go fast or go home motor. As a mteer of fact, anything besdies an oval track, I bet AI can beat anyones VXL/CC/3c lipo setup with my brushed esc, stock motor, and racing 6 cell matched energ 4600s. Racing isnt won on the straights, and a faster mtoor can hurt you more than help you. First, why in the world are you running MOD class? You should be running stock, even the fastest people at my track run stock or superstock truck. This is your first truck, and you expect to run with the big boys already? So get a picture/video of the track, and what classes they run for truck and then we will help you pick a BL motor/esc from there. The ultimate combo IMO is the Tekin RS esc, combined with the Hotwire so you can program via the computer, and any Novak Velocity motor. Novak mtoors are very well made and reliable. But for your choices, you really cant go wrong with the Speed Passion. Just get the Speed Passion mtoors with the turn numbers instead of kv. I personally like to go with different mfg's with my esc's and motors. For anyone who is just in the amateur or beginner class, you really wont notice a difference. Just practice and that wiill make you faster, not a faster motor.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Access

Castle's next 1/10th scale controller is going to have the option of sensored support too, so I wouldn't discount all castle products for racing yet.

Chris_RC, what you say is true at most club tracks, but his track might be different, it might be a easy corners and jumps (if any) and otherwise just long straights, at least for now...
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Any of the sensored systems would be good. But whatever you do, DO NOT GET ANY CASTLE PRODUCTS FOR RACING! I cannot emphasise this enough, Castle products were just not made for racing. Ive never big to a medium sized track that requires a go fast or go home motor. As a mteer of fact, anything besdies an oval track, I bet AI can beat anyones VXL/CC/3c lipo setup with my brushed esc, stock motor, and racing 6 cell matched energ 4600s. Racing isnt won on the straights, and a faster mtoor can hurt you more than help you. First, why in the world are you running MOD class? You should be running stock, even the fastest people at my track run stock or superstock truck. This is your first truck, and you expect to run with the big boys already? So get a picture/video of the track, and what classes they run for truck and then we will help you pick a BL motor/esc from there. The ultimate combo IMO is the Tekin RS esc, combined with the Hotwire so you can program via the computer, and any Novak Velocity motor. Novak mtoors are very well made and reliable. But for your choices, you really cant go wrong with the Speed Passion. Just get the Speed Passion mtoors with the turn numbers instead of kv. I personally like to go with different mfg's with my esc's and motors. For anyone who is just in the amateur or beginner class, you really wont notice a difference. Just practice and that wiill make you faster, not a faster motor.
http://67.199.85.166/racing/racereport.php?IDno=45

Is on the left in the pics.. And you have to understand this track is made for 1/8 only basicly. I need the accleration to get over them.. the last set up they had was perfect and now its monsterious.. the pics really dont do justice.. And I was good with the B4 the T4 is a tad differnt to me it hugs the turns better. I really rather have a brushless system so i can go to lipo next.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.