Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Certain Way to break in Electric Motors?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
abeast84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certain Way to break in Electric Motors?

Whats up..i was wondering if there is a certain method to breaking in electric(brushed or brushless) motors? ..also i just got my zippy 3s lipos i ordered..is there a certain method to charging them the first few times to make them last longest..like at a lower amp at first? thanks sorry if these are dumb questions
Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Certain Way to break in Electric Motors?

For brushed motors that haven't been run in by the mfr., you can break them in properly by running them off a D cell battery in water. (the motor, not the battery)

The brushes will form to the shape of the commutator without leaving carbon on it. The carbon all comes off in the water.

Then, either let the motor air dry or dry it with a hair dryer, and put a drop of oil on each bushing or bearing.