Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

quick brushless question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 PM
EvaderST00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick brushless question

will a cm36 castle creation 7700kv motor work with the vxl esc?

i might take the motor in a trade and i wanna make sure it work with that esc thx
Old 05-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Redvanmafia

Default RE: quick brushless question

i dont see why not, but the vxl motor is just as good or better, then the 7700 motor, 7700 will run hot because of its high KV, so you'll have to gear it low, with the vxl motor its only 3500kv but for speed you gear it up, and since its such low kv it can take the gearing with overheating, the vxl esc isnt as good as the MM i would run a MM and a VXL motor
Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 PM
EvaderST00

i plan on buying a mambe esc but i mainly wanna be sure the connectors work with the vxl esc just to make sure the motor works before i trade.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Redvanmafia

i would just hardwire it, buti think the connectors on the mamba motor are bigger, there either bigger or smaller, i dont think there the same size let some body else find this one
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

castle comes with 4mm connectors, vxl comes with 3.5mm.  but you can change one or the other, or get an adapter, tower has them.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't really like motors from Castle, they run very hot.  But I do really like their ESC.

I really like the motor from the VXL system because it runs much more cooler and can be geared way higher and achieve higher speed.  However, I really hate the VXL ESC, they really suck.

I would get a Mamba ESC with the Velineon Motor, this combo will be the perfect setup.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Access

In the past, a lot of people have found the VXL ESC will struggle with the high-KV, high-amp motors like the Novak 3.5. Remember the VXL ESC is more than twice the rated resistance of the Mamba Max ESC so that means less than half the current-carrying ability per unit heat. People were having problems with the ESC thermalling and stuff like that. The current rating Traxxas gives is totally over-rated and without some kind of soft-start feature those motors will just overheat it.

And yeah like another above poster said the CM36 motors aren't worth $80. or whatever the basic price for them is, there are better options at that same price.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is your application for the motor? 7700 kv is way too hot for off road vehicles. I don't think you will be able to gear it down enough to not run hot. That is probably why he wants to trade it.

On the other hand, it is so fast, you couldrun it on 1S LiPo, if you could find an ESCthat will allow it!

Just think, you could buy one of those 5-8 Ah 2S LiPos, take it apart into its components, ditch the balance tap...

However, you'd have to find an ESCthat will work, and it will be pretty high current at such a low voltage if it did work.