Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pinion/Spur Gear pairing for my Stampede/Novak Brushless

HI All,

Ijust upgraded my Stampede to a Novak Havoc Sport Brushless system (13.5 Turns)

My question is... the stampede comes stock with a 19/90 Pinion and Spur Gear combo

What wouldthe optimum setup be ??? The Stampede came with a 23 pinion,

Is there any formula to determine the best combos? does that also factor in Motor RPM?

Thanks for the help

RE: Pinion/Spur Gear pairing for my Stampede/Novak Brushless

If you can get all info this calc is exact. http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html If not then maybe users can help with the info that you don't know for sure.

2 bits that are very important are voltage and top speed desired.

and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a cool site its going to take some time to get the info together... but if anyone else can give me some other pointers that would be great!

We can guess pretty close. What is the voltage or number of cells you'll be running and what kind of surface/track?

I see it is a 3300 rpm x 6-7 volts = about 20,000 rpm. I think I'd start with the stock 19x90 gearing or lower.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2 scenarios actually
    1). is pavement... The street by my house is the main place (concrete)
    2).The grass in my yard is the second (along with Mulch/Wood chips in spots)

Iam using both a 7-cell 8.4v 5000mah and Ihave 1 6 cell 7.,2v 5000mah

I am also getting some lipos from a friend in GA but not sure on thespecs yet (The havoc will run 2s Lipo or the Nimh)

The pavement can take more voltage/gear/speed than the grass by a long way.

If I had the gears you had I'd try the 6 cell with the lowest ratio on the lawn/mulch and the 7 cells with 23 tooth pinion on the pavement.

and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: guver

We can guess pretty close. What is the voltage or number of cells you'll be running and what kind of surface/track?

I see it is a 3300 rpm x 6-7 volts = about 20,000 rpm. I think I'd start with the stock 19x90 gearing or lower.

Igave it a run today and it seemed like it was both faster than it ever was on a brushed motor... but it seemed to be holding back at the top end too... that's what led me to wonder if Ishould try the 23 pinionIjust don't want to burn anything up...so I thought Iwould ask others experience!

Motor temp might be a great indicator of whether or not it can be geared up.
    and airplanes were in

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so if I want to get an accurate motor temp... is there some kind of gauge to try?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get yourself a small hand held temperature gauge, should be avaialble at your LHS.
    But honey, I had to buy all those RC cars today because the exchange rate was good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The method I use is trial and error. I pick a gearing and take temp of the motor and esc every 3 mins. If its to hot I know to gear down and if it is nice and cool I can gear up if I want more speed.

VXL Stampede, Mini-T, RC10T, Nitro Stampede, Xl-5 Stampede, Blade MSR, Blade MCX, PZ Micro P-51, PZ Ember 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, if you want that car to last, find more off road places to run and stay off the street. Brushless speed on the street = many broken parts. Curbs, trees, cars... those things are SOOO hard when you're going fast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm lucky that my house is next to a street corner and the curbs are very nicely rounded... I can use them as ramps all over the place... The only problem I would have is trying to hop the curb onto the driveway instead of the grass.... the concrete tumble is no good!

I used the optional 23 gear with the 90 spur and its defintely faster! Now I am wondering what to replace my tires with because I 've been running the original set for awhile now and with the extra speed I am starting to lose control and flipping the corners. I added the large spring shims to lower the 'pede for the concrete runs, but I'm thinking I will need some new rubber

The engine seems to be decently cool, so I am thinking Imight also shrink the spur gear to an 86 to see if I can get a little more out of it!

RSE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You either gear for top speed or your gear for max power coming out of the corners.  Top speed is generally what bashers want, but it typically doesn't win any races.

The former is pretty simple and you can use one of those gearing calcs for your starting point, then work from there.
    For the latter, look at these two threads and use the tools and techniques discussed there.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...less-dyno.html
    http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...al-thread.html

The idea is to run the motor on a dyno (or look at the experimental dyno data) and gear such that the peak power point (or near it) on the motor curve is reached just as you pull out of a typical corner.  Many people at tracks overgear these 13.5 or 17.5 setups figuring they need to keep up with the brushed setups (same max speed) to win races. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

help i have a slash 86t speer gear and a 16t pinion with a speed gem 14t and it is running at 260 deg. help me find the right gearing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

19/90 should work fine, thats a higher gear so it'll be fast i run 18/86 on a losi excelorin and its Wicked fast
    6S E-maxx - 4S slash - 2S TT-01E