Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I need to decide on a motor and esc

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 AM
littlened

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to decide on a motor and esc

I've got a laser zx 5 running a stock g20 motor, Iwant to buy a new motor and esc for racing but I just can't decide whats best.

My choices range from a few options;

1) Buy a cheap brushed 10t motor and esc for around £50, this should still be loads better than what Ihave, but the esc doesn't provide any configuration options so Icouldn't turn the motor down for certain tracks etc, Iwould probably have to also buy a 14t motor too, taking the cost to around £70. The esc in this option ishttp://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=31552very basic but would hand a quick motor

2) Buy a more expensive ESC with some configuration options, and maybe capable of running brushless for the future, total cost of esc and brushed motor would be around £150. The esc on this option so far would behttp://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/NR90100.htmlwhich supports both brushed(5t) and brushless(3.5t), nihim and lipo, so it seems fairly future proof. I'm not certain how good it would be at limiting power to the motor though.

3) Buy a brushless esc and motor combo, costing around £120 for a 3.5t, however 3.5t is extremely quick, and highly likely too fast for some tracks, so the esc would need to be able to restrict the power to the motor so that Idon't have to buy multiple motors. The esc in those one would probably behttp://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=32103

Any advice?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
traxxas4ever

Default RE: I need to decide on a motor and esc

buy a mamba max. its completly programmable. i have one. they are awsome. if your worried about too much speed id run the 4600kv motor with a lipo if you have the money. lipos are unmatched in performance. once you get them you wont even look back on your other batteries. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTA4&P=ML
it is worth the money.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Druss

First of all, find out what your track allows.  I don't think many tracks have a 3.5t class and the classes are based on the motor so choose the motor that you can race.  Personally, I'd never put a 3.5t into an off road buggy, it's designed for high top speed not for what you're doing.  Look at a 13.5t or something but first find out what classes there are.  If it's an open mod class then I still wouldn't suggest a 3.5t but that's up to you.

I've never heard of the esc you linked, again make sure that the system you want to get is legal at your race course.  If they are following ROAR rules then look them up and make sure what you get is ROAR legal.

If you're only racing I'd suggest either the Novak GTB or LRP Sphere Competition.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 AM
jenius8477
My Feedback: (1)

well i was a mamba max fanboy for a while, but as of yesterday, no more. i run an rc10t4 and had a mamba max esc with a 7700Kv motor(3.5t). running off-road put a lil too much stress on the system and up went the esc in smoke. i agree with druss, go with a higher turn motor and you wont have the some problem as me. also, if anyone has any suggestions for me as to what motor/esc combo i should get, it would be greatly apprieciated.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Lurp06x

go with the novak havoc spec 13.5t motor its pretty sweet i think.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM
jenius8477

ORIGINAL: Lurp06x

go with the novak havoc spec 13.5t motor its pretty sweet i think.

well novak doesn't make a havok motor line. what do you think about a 8.5t ballistic motor with the havok 3s esc?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: jenius8477

well i was a mamba max fanboy for a while, but as of yesterday, no more. i run an rc10t4 and had a mamba max esc with a 7700Kv motor(3.5t). running off-road put a lil too much stress on the system and up went the esc in smoke. i agree with druss, go with a higher turn motor and you wont have the some problem as me. also, if anyone has any suggestions for me as to what motor/esc combo i should get, it would be greatly apprieciated.
I'm sorry man, but I don't know that I'd blame castle on this one. I personally don't think you should be running a 3.5t motor in an off road vehicle.

Here is novaks gearing chart:

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/b...r_gearing.html

As you can see, 3.5t motors are not recommended for either a 2wd truck or 4wd buggy. I'm not sure what gearing you were using though, nor the temps you had.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 PM
jenius8477

well, she ran good and cool on-road. but one trip off-road and boom. what do you think about the ballistic novak systems?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Druss

Never used a ballistic before, I've got 4 of the Velociti motors and they are good motors. I haven't really come accross a bad motor myself yet, probably because I don't buy brands like Venom....
Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Brian Esser

ORIGINAL: Druss

Never used a ballistic before, I've got 4 of the Velociti motors and they are good motors. I haven't really come accross a bad motor myself yet, probably because I don't buy brands like Venom....
Good policy. Venom sucks.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Lurp06x

are you from the uk?