Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Beginner help (slash)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner help (slash)

Alright, I decided that now is the time for me to buy a real RC car, and not the little toy ones I played with growing up. I've been surfing the web for about 4 hours now, looking and what I can find.

At first I wanted a non-electric vehicle, since that had been my dream growing up, get a gas powered one. But after viewing videos of some aweomse electric ones, I think I'll go there, since they require less upkeep, and I'm kinda lazy. Of course upon looking at electric, I come upon the Traxxas Slash and E-Revo.

Now, I'm very uncertain on which one to get, or even if I should get one of these. I will be using it for fun (no racing), mostly up in the mountainous areas of Montana, and of course in town some what as well.
I am also wondering if Ishould get the 1/10 or 1/16, since Iwould love to have a 4WD. I don't know if the 1/10 slash gives enough traction with just the 2WD.

Also Isee that the e-revo comes in brushless and "brushed?", what's the difference? Price diff? Speed diff?

What kind of batteries/chargers will Ineed, and I think Isaw something about needing an adapter? I absolutelly LOVE the waterproof aspect, since countless of my former rc cars met their match to water and snow growing up.

Where should Ibuy what Iwant? Butte, Montana does not exactly have any hobby shops to speak of, so I would be looking to buy them online.

I know these must all be pretty nooby questions, but I'm a noob, so throw me bone and help me out a little please? Thanks everyone!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 PM
chaserogesr14

Default RE: Beginner help (slash)

the brushless e revo is easily 2 x as fast but you have to have nice lipo batteries to reach it's top speed.

The normal e revo is probably very fun and you get added ride height to run over rocks and what not.

The slash on the other hand is extremely fun, but it spins out all the time(it looks kinda cool sometimes)

I'd try amainhobbies.com
Old 06-13-2009, 06:46 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll help with a couple of your questions.  Brushless vs brushed is two types of motors.  Brushless is generally faster, more torque, less upkeep, and of course, more expensive.  Brushed motors can be inexpensive, they have 'brushes' that can wear out.  The faster motors tend to wear out their brushes faster.  Brushed motors also have another maintenace item call the com or commutator.  These periodically need cut.  I am a little biased towards the brushless, the lack of maintenance and the speed are worth the price in my opinion.

where to buy:  you can google for the lowest price after you decide what you want.  Feel free to ask here about a particular vendor before you order.  A good decent priced benchmark is towerhobbies.com or amainhobbies.com.  tower often has coupons like $25 off a $150 purchase.  these could be handy on your first order that may be sizable.

As for a charger and batteries, I strongly recommend a charger capable of lipo batteries even if you decide to hold off on them for a while (more expensive).  I do not have one yet myself, but hear good things about the onyx 230.  there are many others that are good (and some not so) as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Brainanator

Thanks for the quick reply Chase.
After viewing more videos and what not, I deduced that the brushless was way faster but Ithink it also costs a lot more, and money is always somewhat of a concern.
I think Isaw that the e revo takes 2 batteries? does the slash also take 2?
And I would love a pretty tough truck, I read that the slash was really tough, but how does the e revo fair? After watching videos I'd guess pretty good, but I can never be really sure...

EDIT:
also thanks for the help kistner, so you would recommend holding off and saving up for a brushless one huh? seems like a fair argument, I didn't know that the brushed ones have more stuff to break down. I am pretty good with tools, I work on machines and bikes all the time, so unless there is some crazy trick Ithink I would be able to most maintenance on a vehicle with a good guide.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM
chaserogesr14

I have never drove the e revo but I have drove a slash pretty hard and yes it is durable

the slash only uses 1 battery

Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Brainanator

Well, due to money constraints I think I will be buying the Slash.  The car itself will run about $200, then about 50-100 for a battery and charger?
Where-as the e revo costs about $400 (not brushless), plus 2 batteries and a charger.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:45 PM
d.k.v

i have a slash and its awsome fun..But iv seen an erevo drive it looks like alot of fun also.. u have to decide
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Slashes look neat, but if you're up near or in the mountains, a Stampede is a MUCH better bet. It is nearly as fast, but can handle a LOT more terrain. Uses most of the same components, costs less. Doesn't look as scale, but also has better traction off-road.

Yeah, E-Revos take two batteries at a time, but they can go a lot of places the smaller 2WD cars can't.

Here are a couple of my Stampede videos:

This one is some light crawling over rough terrain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2TgYpkMfsM

Here's some jumping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_VRVV0Qq0

Some local bashing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD26qKyeyg

Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Brainanator

Thanks for the vids jeremy, I'll look around at stampedes too.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Brainanator

Alright, I bought Slash

Could someone give me a good suggestion on a battery/charger or 2?  I don't think I want to go lipo just yet...but defiantly nimh.
What is a good amperage/voltage?  Do I have to worry about getting too large of battery and damaging my motor? (which is something I really don't want to do).
Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 AM
rustlerduster

the xl-5 can handle a 8 cell battery go pick up two team orion 5100 rocket packs and an duratrax onyx chrager i have the onyx its an amazing fast reliable detailed charger and i have alot of batteries but the more mah the longer runtimes so buy the highest mah you can but the more cells the less runtime so get a 6,7, and 8 cell and run them all i have three 6, three 7, and three 8 cell battery packs i use them for different things but its your choice i have the vxl slash (1/10) and with the 8 cell it does wheelies on demand 50+ mph thats fast off-road.

have fun

zack