Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
sharkattack99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

me i would ever buy a tectonic again or exceed anything for that matter, that truck sucked for me it was always breaking, even broke screws during gentle running on the road to get the hang of it, with that it was one break after another, spent more down time then drive time, lol. not to mention parts are hard to find and expencive to ship.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 AM
kutless

Default RE: Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

ORIGINAL: amen

How about we change the topic just a bit, and ask which of all your rc's is your favorite (only one) and why.
I'll go first! My maverick strada xb buggy. Why? Cause if hit practically everything, mostly curbs, and tel poles and havent changed a single part. Sure stuff got bent ( fr and rear dogbones,shock towers) but nothing you cant straighten out with a hammer!! The plastic has gottren scuffed and scratched, but nothing has ever broke
I used to have this car called an Edge Runner, I loved that thing it was quick and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever but eventually it broke and since it was a toy car replacement parts didn't exist... Then I got my first hobby grade which was a Stampede and it immediately became my new favorite. I've had it now for close to 5 years and I just can't see anything topping it any time soon! What a blast!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
We Are Ninja

My only RC regrets would be my two TC3's and my E-Maxx.

The TC3's were a pain to assemble and work on.  I usually enjoy building, but these never gelled with me.  They required funny sized screws and always seemed to require more work to do simple things.  They performed just fine, I just didn't like wrenching on them.  I sold them both on eBay and haven't bought an Associated vehicle since.

The E-Maxx worked fine, but I'm not a monster truck person.  They're too big to "race", and too soft to crawl...  I sold it at my local LHS a while ago.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a Mt1 (being converted to electric for fun), a MT2 (built from a MT1, never had a issue with it falling apart like others stated), a Savage X, a original HPI Nitro RS4, and a Brama 10b... (Yes I like HPI)
Only one I regret buying is my Brama 10b
Under powered, almost 0 gearing options, limited upgrades, plastic drive train, plastic bearings, scarce part availability, and Plastic ball cups.
The thing is so horrendously slow its not funny. Underpowered ESC claims 20turns rating but had issues handling a 20t motor (bought a XL5 esc and motor works fine). Also low replacement parts availability.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I own a Mt1 (being converted to electric for fun), a MT2 (built from a MT1, never had a issue with it falling apart like others stated), a Savage X, a original HPI Nitro RS4, and a Brama 10b... (Yes I like HPI)
Only one I regret buying is my Brama 10b
Under powered, almost 0 gearing options, limited upgrades, plastic drive train, plastic bearings, scarce part availability, and Plastic ball cups.
The thing is so horrendously slow its not funny. Underpowered ESC claims 20turns rating but had issues handling a 20t motor (bought a XL5 esc and motor works fine). Also low replacement parts availability.

I agree with the 10B. A kid in the neighborhood has one and I spend a lot of time fixing it for him. Somebody had their head between their cheeks when they released that one.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
magnat

Well the only one I would never buy again was a HPI E10...

I bought one when they were first released here in Australia...(Now I understand they have all sorts of Hop ups but once bitten,twice shy)
The first day I had it The Saturn 27T went... then I replaced it with a Tamiya 23T motor and although I had the mesh set up perfectly the spur gear stripped as the
plastic motor mount warped out of shape on throttle and the plastic drive shaft spat our bearings leaving you with intermittent All Wheel Drive...

One I would buy again is the Classic Clone... The HBX Bonzer...
Sure... its not brilliant and doesn't like having motors dropped into it lower then 27T but Best $130AUD I have ever spent..
It has its quirks but has been a reliable and well loved truck and using TL-01 parts... Costs hardly anything to rebuild...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Lilredmachine

I've got around 20 rcs and have owned many more. If I had to buy back any of them it would be these:

HPI E-savage: Great truck, 4x4 Stampede sized, durable, small aftermarket but enough to build a beast of a truck.
GCM RB3: Pretty much as above, only custom built for racing.
Tomy Intruder: My first car, and one of the best 4wd buggies ever released.
Traxxas Slash: Tough, fun to drive, ridiculous aftermarket and takes L-XL motors and 4S with ease.
Yankee Venturi 1/4 scale: Crowd pleazing, large scale fun. Ludicrously fast.
Mammoth St PRO: Incredible build quality, incredible parts, relatively cheap, most complete kit ever... FAST.

Cars I would not buy again:

Anything Tamiya: Had an M03, Frog, CC-01, all were alright but dreadfully outdated when compared most things.
E-maxx 3906 Kershaw LCG: Went like a bat out of hell, handled excellently but broke every 5 minutes.
Mammoth ST RTR: Flex, weak, THAT 2 speed... everything the PRO isn't.
Mini LST2: Money pit. Excellent truck when I had finished with it, but so expensive...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM
ElectricGuy007

+1 on the old version E-maxx, but they have updated it with a new transmission and chassis design.
Not only that they just put out ads on the new brushless version.
Still the truck doesnt handle as good as an E-Revo, same old Emaxx.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Redvanmafia

Dont buy anything duratrax,
Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
bent-fender

I will never own a Losi product again I have had 5 over the years and the best one i got was the xx kinwald buggy and the worst was the xxx-nt. Paid somthing like 450.00 for it just to have to tear into it and rebuild the diff and block screw that. Yes I bought it new