Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Runnign Ball bearings One Side, Bushing the Other?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM
amorak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runnign Ball bearings One Side, Bushing the Other?

Hey Guys,

I am sure I'm about to be torched for asking this, but here goes:

Further to my previous post (brother crashed my brand new Stampede XL5 into a curb and busted up the steering knuckle). Iam replacing the front camber plate and steering knuckle, along with the bushing that goes inside of it. Ibought two new ball bearing to go in the front, but got home and realised Iwould then be running ball bearings in the front passenger side (the damaged side) but the stock bushing in the other, undamaged side.

Is this going to cause issues? I'd rather not take the other side apar to replace the bushing with ball bearings, but if Ineed to, I will.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Runnign Ball bearings One Side, Bushing the Other?

No one will be able to tell. 
Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you do not want to replace a simple bearing, then you should not be in this hobby.

Replace a bearing on a Stampede takes two minutes.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM
amorak

Thanks, I'll take head and sell my Stampede, since God has spoken.

My desire to avoid replacing it has nothing to do with my lazyness, its just the fact that this is something i mess around with in teh yard for 20 minutes then put away for the week - My main RC hobby is my nitro planes. This is just a cheap messaround.

ORIGINAL: samguan

if you do not want to replace a simple bearing, then you should not be in this hobby.

Replace a bearing on a Stampede takes two minutes.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you got a lot more torched for talking about replacing a bushing with another bushing.

Go ahead and do it, since you don't care about cars anyway. You'll never notice the difference. It seems like you're just trolling here now.

I came from electric planes (didn't want to settle for nitro, since brushless/LiPo is clearly superior in planes as well as cars) and I find this no less rewarding. Spectators are a lot more bored with cars, since there are only two dimensions, but I sure love never being out of action because of the weather.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:54 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

you'll turn which ever side the bushing is on, if you do 1 bushing and 1 bearing per side you won't notice the differance but bearings on one side bushings on the other you'll feel it

the lug
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
rhowe

if u put em both on 1 side that side will go 1-3 mph fast than the other side. u could race on an oval track and u'd be ok...or try rc nascar?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

imo youll be fine. these guys around here can get mean..

i was at an airshow once 1:1 and they flew planes for the first 10 minutes. i got board within the first 5 because all they do is go around in a circle etc..

now the stunt helis were cool..

yes planes are harder to fly and more expensive
Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Chris_RC

i got board within the first 5 because all they do is go around in a circle etc..
Seems as you have never drven a plane. Don't people get bored watching you drive your rc car?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 PM
FairTax4me

I really seriously doubt you'll notice the difference.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
amorak

Thanks for all the support everyone.  I took a second trip to the local hobby shop and bought some more ball bearings and replaced all the front bushings with BBs - definitely smoother!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 AM
rhowe

common that wasnt mean...i was kidding, perfect example of try and see if it works/figure something out for ur self(that sounds mean sorry). then upgrade and enjoy the added preformance. back in the day there wasn't a thread to ask ?'s. it was figure it out for your self. and parts came by every six months or so, so it was drive it as you could. lucky today peeps can ask ?'s, but it almost seems too easy somtimes with certian ?'s...i guess you can never be to carefull though. sooo i guess make sides equal, and drive it. if it breaks. try fixing it with out going to the store.. thats true rc. and yes bearings make a big difference especially in the tranny..
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 AM
amorak

I appreciate all the responses, and yes, I usually liek to try stuff out, but why break and learn when I can ask the folks who've 'been there, done that'?

I am enjoying the BB's up front and will probably attempt replacing the rear drive-axle bushings with bearings.

It's my understanding that the new Stampede XL-5 has ball bearings in the tranny already.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 AM
rhowe

good point..the stampede is my best rc... get the bigger rpm hub carriers with 5*11 bearings front and rear. yes u have bearings in the tranny but youll eventually need the alum gear and the steel diff from tower hobbies as u upgrade the motor. run it untill those gears burn out, take it aprt and upgrade. and enjoy