Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

failsafe

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
james94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failsafe

hey guys, I have converted to revo to bushless,and was wondering if I use my regular failsafe with the esc? its a mamba monster esc and a futaba fsu2 failsafe.
thanks
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: failsafe

but why?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
james94

why what?
convert or failsafe?

Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 AM
FairTax4me

You don't want to use a Nitro failsafe with a 2 direction speed control. Especially with a MMM.
When/if you lose the signal it will jam on the brakes, and then go into reverse. Or if you're already in reverse, it will just keep going in reverse.
Best thing to do to avoid interference/ lost signal is buy a 2.4ghz radio.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Best thing to do to avoid interference/ lost signal is buy a 2.4ghz radio.
most 2.4s have a hard time with long ranges, but mostgood rx's have a built in failsafe including 2.4 ones
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM
james94

yes,2.4ghz would work, but im on a bugdet. the failsafe can be programmed to just go neutral.would that work?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
FairTax4me

You can set it to neutral if you want. But with brushless motors there's hardly any drag so the truck will just keep on rolling until it hits something or rolls to a stop. If you want, you can disable reverse and then set the failsafe to brake.

Do you need more than 2 channels? Tower has a special right now on their house brand 2.4ghz radio. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towj0224.html  IIRC Futaba makes them, so it should be a pretty decent affordable radio.
most 2.4s have a hard time with long ranges, but most good rx's have a built in failsafe including 2.4 ones
Maybe I just have cheap radios, but my DX3S has a MUCH longer range than any of my other radios, and faster response time as well.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
james94

I think i will just set it to neutral. I would rather it roll and hit somthing with no throttle thanWOT at a wall or somthing. No 2.4s gunna happen for a while. and I need a 3 channel one, plowing the driveway in winter, liftin the plow up and down wit the 3rd channel
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
overrev

A  failsafe is not needed for electric because once you lose signal the esc. will  go to neutral. The reason you need one for a nitro is if you are wide open and lose signal it will stay that way because of the servo,it also detects low voltage to the receiver battery and moves the servo to neutral or brake. This is not needed for electric.