Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery gets hot, but ESC/Motor still stay cool

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:38 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery gets hot, but ESC/Motor still stay cool

While running my Losi DT I have noticed that my older NiCd batteries get pretty hot (much hotter than if I am running higher capacity NiMh batteries). The truck has stock gearing a 17t Speed Gems Motor and Novak Tempest Pro Esc. Are the batteries only getting hot because they are not able to supply the needed current to the motor/esc? I am also having the same problem on my E-maxx which has a Kershaw Designs single 970 conversion and Novak Super Duty ESC. When I run 3000mah NiMh batteries they are very hot at the end of the run. Do you think that going to a 20C lipo would make any difference? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:44 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery gets hot, but ESC/Motor still stay cool

I have used Ni-MH, NiCd and Lipo on my Slash. Lipo runs very cool, very little heat at the end of the run. However, Ni-MH, NiCd runs alot hotter than Lipos.

Even during charging, NI-MH, NiCd can get pretty hot too while Lipo stays super cool.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Yes, you're right on both accounts. The heat comes from the higher IR nicads compared to better nimh batts. This graph may illustrate the temp. At lower currents it wouldn't matter since neither battery will get hot. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8875774 It's the graph on the right of post 30 and they are all the same cells.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:55 PM
guver

Using a 20C lipo is only half of the story, the other half is the capacity since they get multiplied together to find current.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM
mazdaprotege4

I was thinking of getting a few of those 5000mah from hobbycity.com, that should fix the problem, right.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
guver

They should definately outdo the 3000 mah nimh batts.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 PM
FairTax4me

Are the batteries only getting hot because they are not able to supply the needed current to the motor/esc?
Bingo. 3000mah is nowhere NEAR enough for a speed gems 17T or a Kershaw 970. I have a Duratrax 3600 that runs warm in my slash with the speed gems 17x2. I just bought a new EnerG4200 pack from Promatchracing.com that I have yet to test. (gonna try it out tomorrow) But the best nimhs for your money are the EnerG 4600s, which are actually on sale right now at Promatch. More than enough power for either of those motors. The one I use in my Slash stays the same temperature as when I took it off the charger through the whole run.

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=7460S
Free Priority Mail shipping if you spend $100. Worth every penny.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM
mazdaprotege4

Just wondering if running the cheap batteries will cause any damage to the motor/esc, or will it only shorten the life of the batteries due to the heat? I ask beause I have accumulted like 20 1500-2000mah Nicds which work fine with the vintage tamiyas ans such.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

they won't really hurt the motors but its like running 10% nitro in your $500 race engine you're just limiting the poor beast, i don't even run my nicads in anything but my roto now after seeing the power gains from my EP4200's and 4600's they are just that much more powerful, i saw 3-4 mph on a crappy motor with just a battery change, with a quality motor i'd expect to see somewhere arond 5mph or so

the lug
Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" While running my Losi DT I have noticed that my older NiCd batteries get pretty hot ".........................you mentioned older.......not good, and nicads..............not good. Go with lipos, you will eventually anyway, you will need an low voltage cutoff, tower sell a 4s for 25 bucks.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 AM
mazdaprotege4

You are probably right, I will probably just sell them off on eBay and get some lipos. Thanks for the advice
Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Access

The hot batteries won't damage anything. If you do go for the LiPos, don't forget to re-gear it once you do. Most likely you should move it down a tooth or two.