Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
mamba 4600
41.46%
-----vxl------
34.15%
Other, please specify
24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Mamba sidewinder 4600 or Traxxas Vxl

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mamba sidewinder 4600 or Traxxas Vxl

What would be the best for all around bashing, I have used a sidewinder 4600 on 3s and it was great, but im 95% sure i blew the bec on the esc, and later on it went up in smoke, It was fast but ran farly hot on 3s geared conservitivly at 14/86, the vxl motor is 3500 kv, that means my battery would last longer and run Not as hot?, but all ive heard is horror storys about there weak esc's going up in smoke and wires getting unsoldered, What would be best?, also is there any hybrid set-ups i can try like mamba esc with vxl motor or vice vera that would work best?,
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Orion1024

Default RE: Mamba sidewinder 4600 or Traxxas Vxl

The Velineon motor isn't going to run any cooler than the Castle 4600...mine actually heats up faster. Don't expect any difference in runtime either. That being said, I settled on the Velineon motor with a Sidewinder ESC and 3S. The Velineon has got quite a bit more torque than the 4600. Actually, I was kind of disappointed with the performance of the 4600.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Redvanmafia

Does the sidewinder esc run the vxl nice, hows the cogging?, i thought it would run cooler is it worth going out of my way to try it out?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

+2 to orion1024's setup. I run that combo in two different rides with no troubles. minus the 3s. I really like the sidewinders with the vxl motor.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Orion1024

The Velineon motor isn't going to run any cooler than the Castle 4600...mine actually heats up faster. Don't expect any difference in runtime either. That being said, I settled on the Velineon motor with a Sidewinder ESC and 3S. The Velineon has got quite a bit more torque than the 4600. Actually, I was kind of disappointed with the performance of the 4600.
Velineon motor will run much cooler than the 4600. Even at 4600KV, Castle motors tend to run very hot! I would get the Castle ESC + Velineon motor!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Redvanmafia

Sounds good, i think i may go for the VXL motor, and sidwwinder esc, Sounds like a fun combo!, Will it handle the 3s ok?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
fusebmx13

Anything is going to heat up on 3s. Just watch your temps and you will be ok. I to run the mamba max esc, vxl motor, and 3s batteries in 4 different trucks. 1 slash, and 3 rustlers. It heats up more in the slash but that is to be expected.
The SW handles the vxl motor better than the castle motors. Because of the lower kv, it is not putting such stress on the esc and therefore it runs cooler. I used to run the SW but ditched it and threw a mamba max in, used the SW in my crawler.

Good luck,
Fuse
Old 07-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Redvanmafia

Okay, well its canada day today, im making double time tonight, cha ching!$$$$ I used to have a mamba max 7700, but i messed up the esc trying to put new wires on it, i didnt have the recipt handy so i couldnt send it in to get fixed, but that esc was a beast!, I may go with the mamba max esc and vxl motor, and from there go to a medusa or something like that, thanks for the idea's and wisdom guys its greatly aprecited, i miss setting it up with the USB
Old 07-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Redvanmafia

The novak ballistic is now out, im not sure how long but for 165$ thats not bad!, i would love to try it, but 280watts?, c'mon my ol' mamba 4600 is 500 watts and it heats right up! in a light stampede, Novak needs to make a brushless thats not so weak, i guess they leave that to castle creations:P, Also i've read some magazine and theres word on tower hobbies that Castle is comming out with a mamba max pro, Early to late august
Old 07-05-2009, 12:18 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not sure that they all measure the wattas the same
Old 07-05-2009, 12:37 PM
iTz Nicholas

The SideWinder VXL Combo is great. My friend runs it in his Pede and the Motor hardly ever gets over 125 and the ESC hasn't broken 100 yet. He is running 7 cell Ni-Mh tough...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:49 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

The novak ballistic is now out, im not sure how long but for 165$ thats not bad!, i would love to try it, but 280watts?, c'mon my ol' mamba 4600 is 500 watts and it heats right up! in a light stampede, Novak needs to make a brushless thats not so weak, i guess they leave that to castle creations:P, Also i've read some magazine and theres word on tower hobbies that Castle is comming out with a mamba max pro, Early to late august
The ballistic system is worth it!!! I have the regular Havoc 8.5 and the ballistic system has a stronger esc. DONT LET THAT 280 WATTS FOOL YOU

And its only made for to me losi and associated becuase there weight is so small compared to traxxas..
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Redvanmafia

Well untill somebody tells me diffrent or explains im gonna think 500 is better then 280:P. I gonna run to the lhs this week end pick up a brushless and a few things! I would like the mamba max therefore i dont need to run a seperate bec, or even a monster max sence ive been waiting so long, Would a mamba monster max and a vxl work? or would it be over kill?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM
For_The_Win

Well untill somebody tells me diffrent or explains im gonna think 500 is better then 280:P. I gonna run to the lhs this week end pick up a brushless and a few things! I would like the mamba max therefore i dont need to run a seperate bec, or even a monster max sence ive been waiting so long, Would a mamba monster max and a vxl work? or would it be over kill?

Well if your mamba gets hot and its rated for 500 watts then thats bad, I just got done running mine and my esc temp was a 97.9 and the motor was at 107 somthing..... Right now i would choose my Havoc..... Plus mamba is over rated...
Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
monsterbombs

i have two mamba combos a 6900 and a 7700.
they are plenty powerful on lipo but not really
good for bashing and only take 2s. them esc's
are top notch i run them in my crawler and a
high power brushed setup. i was given a vxl motor
and changed the connectors on the motor wires
to 4mm(mamba size) and off i went.i made the
combo for 3s. on 2s is goes pretty hard, but 3s.
dear me. it is silly. the runtime is good and the
motor stays warm/hot nothing to worry about.
the esc doesnt break a sweat. my batterys are
2450 3s and i get 15minutes of savage dog.
the traxxas vxl esc leaves much to be desired.
my mate who gave me the motor had his esc let
go and it never saw lipo. go the hybrid.on 3s.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Redvanmafia

Everybody on this forum is having there mamba's run hot:P, it seems like. I had a mamba max with a 7700 but even with 16/90 gearing on a 2s after a few fast runs the motor wires would de-solder them selfs off the board, the 7700 was to much kv for the stampede, now that im running big tires, 3s in grass and such its heating stuff up, if i run a 4600 with a heatsink It seems to not go past 160-170, but with it off im into the 200's. thats with 16/90-15/90 i can gear down still to a 14/90 witch i'll probs end up doing, i have a 4600 motor just laying around that i can just throw an esc at, but i would like something new & fasst, a strong esc that i can run any brushless motor in the stampede pretty well like a mamba max or monster max eventually move up to a medusa, I'll fiqure out what im gonna do this weekend, Im excited for the new brushless!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 PM
For_The_Win

Everybody on this forum is having there mamba's run hot:P, it seems like. I had a mamba max with a 7700 but even with 16/90 gearing on a 2s after a few fast runs the motor wires would de-solder them selfs off the board, the 7700 was to much kv for the stampede, now that im running big tires, 3s in grass and such its heating stuff up, if i run a 4600 with a heatsink It seems to not go past 160-170, but with it off im into the 200's. thats with 16/90-15/90 i can gear down still to a 14/90 witch i'll probs end up doing, i have a 4600 motor just laying around that i can just throw an esc at, but i would like something new & fasst, a strong esc that i can run any brushless motor in the stampede pretty well like a mamba max or monster max eventually move up to a medusa, I'll fiqure out what im gonna do this weekend, Im excited for the new brushless!
Im telling you youll love the Ballistic system. Its better than the 4600 mamba..
Old 07-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Redvanmafia

i understand but i also dont want to drop 200+ on a brushless, that's gonna overheat and burn up in my stampede, LHS dont have return policys you buy it, its yours, i made the mistake of buying a LRP sphere 5.5 brushless combo, 349.99cad, It burned out in 4-5 runs in my buddys stampede, the rotor melted thru the end bell, 350 bucks down the drain!, These mamba's have treated me good, the 4600 ran great slightly hot, but thats not a problem, But i'd like to try something new i no mamba's are great, What do i do?, you say the novak is great so i go out and buy one and when it burns out, it doesnt matter you could careless you'll be the one laughin you told it was great..., i dont want that, the best brushless i ever bought (4600 SW) was 170 bucks its also the cheapest one i ever bought, It seems like i can only go with castle, if i want huge power and adjustibility 500watts is more then 280watts doesnt matter how you look at it, the more watts you have the less hard the motor has to work to put out the same rpm/power in a heavyer truck like a pede i think thoes extra watts will be helpfull
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 AM
For_The_Win

i understand but i also dont want to drop 200+ on a brushless, that's gonna overheat and burn up in my stampede, LHS dont have return policys you buy it, its yours, i made the mistake of buying a LRP sphere 5.5 brushless combo
Well your problem is you dont do reasearch if you did you would know the sphere is for touring cars......

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia It burned out in 4-5 runs in my buddys stampede, the rotor melted thru the end bell, 350 bucks down the drain!, These mamba's have treated me good, the 4600 ran great slightly hot, but thats not a problem, But i'd like to try something new i no mamba's are great, What do i do?, you say the novak is great so i go out and buy one and when it burns out, it doesnt matter you could careless you'll be the one laughin you told it was great..., i dont want that, the best brushless i ever bought (4600 SW) was 170 bucks its also the cheapest one i ever bought, It seems like i can only go with castle, if i want huge power and adjustibility 500watts is more then 280watts doesnt matter how you look at it, the more watts you have the less hard the motor has to work to put out the same rpm/power in a heavyer truck like a pede i think thoes extra watts will be helpfull
You wont burn it up.. Its a 5000kv motor... if you have your gearing right like i do your temps well never go over 110 like mine. and still runs at about 35 mgh... And the pede dosent weight that much more than my t4...
Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 AM
For_The_Win

You are running less than 2s right?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Redvanmafia

Running less then 2s?, lol no i run a 3s... you would hate to get burned, i would to, sure the pede doesnt weigh that much more, i want to try the novak, 5000kv is nice but that 280 watts is worrying me seeing how hot a 500watt gets in my stampede, I run thru grass 80% of the time, thats all there is around here, a 500 watt mamba to stay cool needs to be geared fairly low 14-15/90 The novak would need to be geared even lower wouldnt it?, But i cant go up in spur size and i might be able to get a 12 or 13t pinion, But if it gets hot after that, i wouldnt no what to do, you cant run a heatsink on the motor it already has a build in one (the can), and 12/13t pinion defeats the point im gearing it down so low i'll get no speed out of it, i wish people would put brushless systems head to head!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
For_The_Win

Running less then 2s?, lol no i run a 3s... you would hate to get burned, i would to, sure the pede doesnt weigh that much more, i want to try the novak, 5000kv is nice but that 280 watts is worrying me seeing how hot a 500watt gets in my stampede, I run thru grass 80% of the time, thats all there is around here, a 500 watt mamba to stay cool needs to be geared fairly low 14-15/90 The novak would need to be geared even lower wouldnt it?, But i cant go up in spur size and i might be able to get a 12 or 13t pinion, But if it gets hot after that, i wouldnt no what to do, you cant run a heatsink on the motor it already has a build in one (the can), and 12/13t pinion defeats the point im gearing it down so low i'll get no speed out of it, i wish people would put brushless systems head to head!
Then go with the ballistic system... ALL MAMBA RUN HOT!! Thats what I hate about them...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Redvanmafia

its just the motors that run slightly hot, the esc's are amazing if i get the novak all i can run is senored motors, castle is comming out with a mamba max pro that will handle senored senorless and brushed!!, im looking for the best bang for the buck, i no senorless motors are more powerfull then sensored, my 170$ 4600 mamba was stronger then my 350$ 5.5 shpere, it's me and you talking about the novak your telling me it great, but once i put the money down its gotta perform! i dont want to be b.u.llshi.tted into buying a novak when in my head its ment for light racing trucks, when my pede is ran in pretty much all grass with almost 6 inch tires on a 3s in 80f weather 30c 5100mah lipo that will give me almost an hour of run time, all thoes things mean HEAT!, 500 watts gets hot your telling me 280 wont? if i buy i want to feel confident because brushless isnt cheap WITH NO REFUND,

Your brushless doesnt get hot, theres also people on here that say evaders are durable, who do i belive?, id like some solid facts but it doesnt look like there is any

PS- just went on tower and its 120amps* at 25 degree transistor temp, my esc will never be at 25 degree's it's hotter then that outside just sitting still, its not a true 120 amps, you get that hot, like i will, Its down past 100amps, the esc MOTOR LIMIT is 8.5T so its maxed out with the 8.5 combo, i'll cook it i no i will
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
For_The_Win

its just the motors that run slightly hot, the esc's are amazing if i get the novak all i can run is senored motors, castle is comming out with a mamba max pro that will handle senored senorless and brushed!!, im looking for the best bang for the buck, i no senorless motors are more powerfull then sensored, my 170$ 4600 mamba was stronger then my 350$ 5.5 shpere, it's me and you talking about the novak your telling me it great, but once i put the money down its gotta perform! i dont want to be b.u.llshi.tted into buying a novak when in my head its ment for light racing trucks, when my pede is ran in pretty much all grass with almost 6 inch tires on a 3s in 80f weather 30c 5100mah lipo that will give me almost an hour of run time, all thoes things mean HEAT!, 500 watts gets hot your telling me 280 wont? if i buy i want to feel confident because brushless isnt cheap WITH NO REFUND,

Your brushless doesnt get hot, theres also people on here that say evaders are durable, who do i belive?, id like some solid facts but it doesnt look like there is any
Ok wait till tomarrow ill do a long run wide open throttle as much as possible and ill take pics of my temps. Im in Florida the temps here are 95. Novak has been around longer than mamba....

AND THE SHPERE IS FOR TOURING CARS!!! NOT OFF ROAD! The only lrp brushless system for off road use it the eraser.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:26 AM
monsterbombs

im not sure were this is going but if you want
a reliable sysytem, that doesnt overheat on
3s the mamba esc and the velineon motor
are the way to go, even in a stampede.
i dont know what wattage has to do with anything,
i am running this setup and it performs flawlessly.
i admit it has too much low end torque,but you
dont have to use it all. there is enough power
there to snap driveshafts and twist outdrives
with relative ease on the electrics. dont fool yourself
i wouldnt be surprised if its putting out a couple of
hp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.