Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rustler handling upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM
xxxnt236
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rustler handling upgrade?

Im looking at getting the traxxas rustler. ive heard they are really strong and good but i heard they handle horrible.. so what is the best thing i could do to make it handle better? or would i just be better off by getting the hpi e firestorm? thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: rustler handling upgrade?

play with the shock oil, springs,and maybe shocks..
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 AM
xxxnt236

how about these? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRTX5&P=7
would those make a big improvement? or is there some better ones to get or just stay with the stocks?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:07 AM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: xxxnt236

would those make a big improvement? or is there some better ones to get or just stay with the stocks?
Stock shocks are by far better than those. Stay away from Integy they make low quality junk.

Honestly the rustler really doesn't handle that bad. I hardly ever roll mine. Yes there are trucks out there that probably handle better but seriously they are not that bad stock. For alum shocks I went with the traxxas big bores. The stock plastic shocks like to blow the top cap off on hard impact.

Compared to my slayer, the rustler handles like a dream.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: xxxnt236

Stock shocks are by far better than those. Stay away from Integy they make low quality junk.

Honestly the rustler really doesn't handle that bad. I hardly ever roll mine. Yes there are trucks out there that probably handle better but seriously they are not that bad stock. For alum shocks I went with the traxxas big bores. The stock plastic shocks like to blow the top cap off on hard impact.

Compared to my slayer, the rustler handles like a dream.
Integy are good stuff .... we run them on our race cars/trucks ...... if you are a basher then stay with the stocker's ........ the handling upgrades you are looking for have nothing to do with shock setup at all ..... you need to swap over to a associated rc10gt steering bell crank setup and steering blocks .... my 10yr old runs a nitro rusty on the dirt oval and he has no problem dealing with gt2, xxx-nt, or what ever is out there!!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Redvanmafia

lmao, you race integy stuff bro, good one:P i had a integy'd out mini-t and it gave me nothing but problems, there aluminum is weak. a rustler stock will be great for ya!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 AM
MCSRacing

yes we race integy stuff .... there is nothing wrong with the quality of their stuff ..... when ya go out and try to tear up your equipment, ya break it and then its junk!!! .... so one more time " YES WE RACE INTEGY ALUMINUM " LOL the only thing i broke/bent from integy was a shock shaft and it was my fault .. i hit a back hoe bucket directly in the right rear shock LOL yep it bent!!
Old 07-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

yes we race integy stuff .... there is nothing wrong with the quality of their stuff ..... when ya go out and try to tear up your equipment, ya break it and then its junk!!! .... so one more time '' YES WE RACE INTEGY ALUMINUM '' LOL the only thing i broke/bent from integy was a shock shaft and it was my fault .. i hit a back hoe bucket directly in the right rear shock LOL yep it bent!!
What exactly do you race with integy on it, Have you won with that AWESOME BLINGY LOW GRADE aluminum integy stuff?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 AM
rclugnut10

lay off the guy, about integy,

and imo i'd just get the e-fire handles better, the rusty just doesn't have the geometry and the parts are bulky and heavy

the lgu
Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM
traxxas4ever

yeah. integy isnt that bad. also the rustler dosent do that bad either. a xxx-t or t4 would blow it away bu you could always do the ultimate rustler conversion on it.. ist a lot of work and the only pain is you have to remod any of the parts you break. thats why i never did it.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
traxxaspede

how does someone asking for advise end up with people arguing about whether Integy is bad quality or not?

You don't really need any extra parts to make the rustler handle better. it's just some little things, like bearings, and maybe different tires, but mostly it's playing with adjustments. Get some adjustable turnbuckles to replace the stock plastic ones, and theres a sticky at the top of this thread that explains a lot about adjusting, and just play around till you find a set-up you like. two other things you might want are different shock springs and different shock oil weights. other than that, it's just tuning.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:41 PM
xxxnt236

traxxas4ever wanna give me a link or tell me what i could do?
Old 07-18-2009, 04:43 PM
traxxas4ever

http://ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/ultimate-rustler/
here you go. he does a ton of other cool conversions and modifications too.
you dont have to do all the mods but if you do a few of the bigger ones it should make a pretty good difference. good luck.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 PM
MCSRacing

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

yes we race integy stuff .... there is nothing wrong with the quality of their stuff ..... when ya go out and try to tear up your equipment, ya break it and then its junk!!! .... so one more time '' YES WE RACE INTEGY ALUMINUM '' LOL the only thing i broke/bent from integy was a shock shaft and it was my fault .. i hit a back hoe bucket directly in the right rear shock LOL yep it bent!!
What exactly do you race with integy on it, Have you won with that AWESOME BLINGY LOW GRADE aluminum integy stuff?
we race dirt oval and i run the cheap blingy integy stuff on hmmmm lets see ....gt, gt2ft, t4ft, ...... LOL .. i gues when ya can't keep it on the tires then ya better not put anything trick on ur truck ... the key is to keep it on the wheels and goin' the correct direction ... and this is way off topic anyway .. they guy asked for a few tips and he got 'em whats the deal? ya have trouble keepin' ur st on its wheels?