Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what is a slipper clutch?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
jcrew3002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a slipper clutch?

in an electic RC what does the slipper clutch do?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM
CarGuy7a

Default RE: what is a slipper clutch?

It helps save your spur gear from stripping. It also helps keep transmission internal gears from stripping as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Chris_RC

I dont even have the slipper assembly on some of my trucks. So I just run it locked, but I need to tighten the diff a little bit more when doing that. I only think the slipper is for high power brushless systems, not stock motors.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I dont even have the slipper assembly on some of my trucks. So I just run it locked, but I need to tighten the diff a little bit more when doing that. I only think the slipper is for high power brushless systems, not stock motors.
Yeah on a brushed truck it's not that critical. I've ran my rustler for years without a slipper and didn't have a problem. But now days with the high power of BL, stripping a spur is mear childsplay and very easy to do. They started putting them on most electric rc's seeing as how at one point or the other the owner will most likely upgrade to BL.

They also help give a little when landing from a jump if you are slightly on the throttle so the teeth on the spur don't take the brunt of the force.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
jcrew3002

so the slipper clutch turns a little bit than transfers the force to the gears?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
TIGER76

It takes some of the power from the pinion to the spur so instead of chewing up gears it slips a little.If you tighten them up really well you get lots of wheelies LOL

So its best to loosen it quarter of a turn so it can do its job.
Imagine slamming into reverse while pushing full forward thats a lot of pressure on those gears and somethings bound to chew in the end without a slipper
Old 07-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Druss

I think the worst is when landing a jump with etiher no throttle or too much throttle, the landing jolts the entire drivetrain and the slipper clutch can slip to absorb some of that energy. This is especially true of heavier and faster vehicles.