Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Hobbywing 60a ESC question ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 PM
KRO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbywing 60a ESC question ?

Hello guys , just got my EZ Run 60a 5.5t combo and I have too say that this system is a BARGAIN (If it holds up) !

I have it in a HoBao Mini Hyper STe and its a screamer ! Gotta be pushing low 40mph , havent tried it off road cause it just rained and my track is too wet

My question is ..... Does the ESC auto detect the number of cells if you set the #3 setting "cutoff threshold" too a specific voltage (I set mine too 3.2v per cell)?

The programmer has a #11 "motor rotation" setting and a #12 "LiPo cells" setting , but when I plug it into the ESC it only goes too the #10 setting ?

Thanks ....
Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Aimlessone

Default RE: Hobbywing 60a ESC question ?

Yes, the ESC will detect on startup the number of cells in the pack. And settings #11 and #12 don't exist as I have the same ESC, I think those were meant for the larger 1/8th scale ESCs Hobbywing also sells.

I've had the 8.5T system installed for about a week in my Evader and ran about 30 battery packs through it, it's holding up very well, but I might need a new set of tires soon
Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
jrock0012

Yes the ESC does detect the number of cells. The #11 and 12 settings are used for the 150A Esc which I have also just purchased for my Savage X. My 60a Esc and 8.5 turn in my Firestorm is holding up very well, other than the Esc fan which took a crap, but that was my fault through in 4s for a run and holy crap, it was a land missle!!![X(]
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
bhcvc

Yeah, the program card for the 60A and below vs 80A and above are different. The 80A+ don't have automatic auto-detect (you can set it), but it only works up to certain voltages and the manual recommends you set it manually anyways. The 60A- all auto-detect.
The stock caps won't last long if you go above 3s. If you stay 3s or below, they'll be fine. If it dies, just get a larger fan and attach it on as you'll get more airflow with the larger fan.
I had the 60A ESC with the 17.5T 2400kV motor pushing around my 7lb E-Savage for a while without any problems and the motor never went over 120F in 80F whether...pretty darn good for such a small system in a pretty heavy truck.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 PM
midntpumkin

yep just like everyone here said, on the 3 cell lipo though , the esc fan wont work because its only made for a 2 cell. i dont have the programming card but i saw one in action , it makes programming the esc a snap , definitly pick one up when back in stock
Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Aimlessone

ORIGINAL: midntpumkin

yep just like everyone here said, on the 3 cell lipo though , the esc fan wont work because its only made for a 2 cell. i dont have the programming card but i saw one in action , it makes programming the esc a snap , definitly pick one up when back in stock
The fan is actually rated for 5V, it's being overvolted as-is anyway, if you're running anything more than a 2 cell lipo or a 6 cell NiMH/NiCD it's a good idea to re-wire the fan to run off of the BEC which outputs 6V, still plenty of airflow and the fan doesnt spin itself to oblivion.

The programming card is probably the best way best to program an ESC that I have used, sure the PC link stuff that some manufacturers use allows more tweaking but hauling a laptop out to the field/track is a pain at best.