Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Advice for good 1/10 electric offroader

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Felborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for good 1/10 electric offroader

Lately I have been wondering about getting myself a car. I was aiming for the 1/16th E-Revo, it looks killer! But I have been warned about it, saying it's to small and you cant really run it everywhere.

So I have been wondering about something 1/10, but seems options are fewer in this scale for electric atleast.

Im not willing to spend a huge amount of money on this thing, as it will mostly be for fun every now and then when the weather is to bad to enjoy helicopterflying whiche is my main hobby. I always wanted a Tamiya Egresse or Avante was back when I was younger, but seems Tamiya has dropped quite a few times down on the list. The DF-03 chassis looks okay tho, but I have no idea what kind of electronics are needed for a brushless setup for these. Aiming for some cheap Hobbycity electronics, to be honest most of what I bougth from there has turned out to bee very very good value for money, and if I can trust a plain or helicopter with them, im sure gonna trust a car whiche fairs much better if the motor blows out

So, what good options are there around the 2-300$ mark? Im looking for a classic offroader or something like the E-revo, im not really a big fan of the monstertruck type I often see in the stores now.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 AM
For_The_Win

Default RE: Advice for good 1/10 electric offroader

ORIGINAL: Felborn

Lately I have been wondering about getting myself a car. I was aiming for the 1/16th E-Revo, it looks killer! But I have been warned about it, saying it's to small and you cant really run it everywhere.

So I have been wondering about something 1/10, but seems options are fewer in this scale for electric atleast.

Im not willing to spend a huge amount of money on this thing, as it will mostly be for fun every now and then when the weather is to bad to enjoy helicopterflying whiche is my main hobby. I always wanted a Tamiya Egresse or Avante was back when I was younger, but seems Tamiya has dropped quite a few times down on the list. The DF-03 chassis looks okay tho, but I have no idea what kind of electronics are needed for a brushless setup for these. Aiming for some cheap Hobbycity electronics, to be honest most of what I bougth from there has turned out to bee very very good value for money, and if I can trust a plain or helicopter with them, im sure gonna trust a car whiche fairs much better if the motor blows out

So, what good options are there around the 2-300$ mark? Im looking for a classic offroader or something like the E-revo, im not really a big fan of the monstertruck type I often see in the stores now.
1/10 slash that sounds what you need.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: Felborn
Where are you thinking of running the mini E-Revo? It can run a lot of places and sometimes small is good, it means you don't need as much space to run it and have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...1767D5DAEC6230

This is an example of an area where the mini runs pretty well and not really large enough for a 1/10th. Not to mention most 1/10ths are not 4wd so a slash for instance may not actually be any better off on terrain than the a mini 4wd. Which is rather oversized for a mini, ground clearance is almost an inch.

So the ground clearance difference is not huge and the mini also has much less weight which means it can do a lot more without breaking. Up to you though.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

When you said you wanted a "classic offroader" the first thing that came to mind was Tamiya's Hornet (or Grasshopper).
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Gotta say, I have had a slash since it came out, and I beat the crap out of it, hard. Only thing i have ever broken was a steering knuckle and that was full speed into a steel post. Other good one is the Stampede, still 2 wheel drive though. Could probably pick up a used Savage in your price range if you look around. Those are the three tougher vehicles for the price, my opinion of course.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 AM
J.D.T

look into the tamiya df 02, Rising Storm, Gravel Hound, Plasma Edge Cars, they have metal gear diffs and make great big tired buggies or truggy conversions projects. 2wd trucks are not good at bashing, its no fun playing with stuck slashes and stampedes because of grass, sand or rocks, With any four inch tall truck tire (105mm or so) you can go about 60% more places than a 2wd with the same tire, with the 5 inch mashers and the lehner xl 3100 on 3s this thing embarrases savages and other "real" monster trucks in hillclimbs, drag races and jump offs, the only thing it can't do like a real monster is push over the real thick tall grass thats a foot tall or more. There are alot of threads here if you search a little, otherwise there is 135+ page thread at radiocontrolzone under the offroad vehicle forum

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87958.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1245648  
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always find deals on slightly used e-maxx's on ebay, i bought one for $260 and put a mamba monster system in it. You can get one and drive it as it is and have a ball, though. Here are examples of e-bay deals. Get only the 3905, it is the newer version and can be converted to brushless if you decide to down the road, the 3906 is a little outdated.

3905 - with charger and two 5000 mah batts! Only$270 including shipping - http://cgi.ebay.com/traxxas-emaxx-tr...d=p3286.c0.m14

3905 - http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-E-MAXX-R...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Druss

If you're not interested in a monster truck look then there aren't too many 4WD choices unless you go buggy.

Tamiya is still as good as ever but with the number of companies putting RTR's out there and more new drivers choosing the ease of RTR vs the joy of building a kit....

There are 3 basic 4WD buggy chassis I would recommend, the DF-02, DF-03 and DB-01. Another good buggy is the Kyosho ZX-5.

If you like the classic look then the grasshopper was rereleased with a few upgrades and stronger materials.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Tilux

I would recommend the DB-01 for ya. Only thing you would need to change on it is the diff because they melt like ice in the sun.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM
traxxas4ever

i would recomend the mini revo. it can basicly do any kind of terrain. however if you really dont want that then get a rustler or a bandit vxl. it comes already upgraded with brushless when you get the truck there will be no need for cheap hobby city electronics. and you can get a cheap lipo from hobbycity and if you run electric helicopters you already have a charger and you should be able to use that.

i would go with the revo however. the 4 wheel drive will make it handle terrain almost as good as a rustler but with a lot more fun. plus it is right with your price range. you can get it for 270 shipped from tower when you use the coupon. and it will come with a battery you can use for a while before you upgrade to lipo.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have some fun and build it yourself, buy a tamiya.

any of their 4wd buggys will hold up to abuse. df01-df02-df03-db01 you can't go wrong.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 PM
bhcvc

Depends on what you want. I'm not into really small scale RCs myself. It's just not fun for me to watch a tiny car run around.

If you want a stadium truck, and don't want to convert to brushless yourself, I'd recommend the following:

HPI E-Firestorm Flux
Traxxas Rustler VXL

I think the Firestorm is more durable and bashable. My friend has 3 Rustlers and all have broken many parts that he's eventually upgraded to aluminum, which makes them tough now, but also more expensive than he expected (and heavier now).

If you don't mind a monster truck, I'd highly recommend the HPI E-Savage. It's extremely tough and fun, goes over most any terrain, and decently fast stock (30mph with good packs).
Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
traxxas4ever

id go with what bhcvc says. however the savage is 270 without batteries. it runs duel batteries so it is going to cost quite a bit to get it goin. id back up the firestorm too. i completly forgot about it. i dont have one but i hear many people say it is tougher than the rustler. however i hear other people say it is weaker than the rustler. it just depends on your driving style. i would actoually go with the firestorm though. the only reason i wouldnt get the savage is it is a monster truck and that means a lot of flipping over. thats why i got a revo. its only a half monster truck. it can take a turn going like 40 and it wont flip.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Felborn

Im not to keen on monster trucks, dont much care for the looks and from what I hear they flip easely. I was looking for a fast and fun 4WD buggy along the lines of the old Tamiya Egresse and Avante type. I also love the looks of the Revo, but the E-revo is abit to big, and the 1/16th might be so small :/

So can a half decent 4WD buggy with radio be had for 300, or am I dreaming?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
gelbschnee

I have been looking into this buggy for myself, the HPI Cyber10b
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100702/
The kit is $230 on tower. This buggy looks really sweet I wish i had some extra cash for it. Maybe it's right for you.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWWR5&P=ML
However, I have never seen one in action so I can't say if it's actually any good. Maybe someone else here has one?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
bhcvc

Batteries for the E-Savage aren't that bad. You can buy a single 4s pack for $40 and it will run great. It'll even run fine on a 3s pack. Stock, the E-Savage will flip over more than a buggy (obviously), but with a set of truggy shocks, it handles quite well.

The HPI Cyber is a nice choice for an RTR. The Tamiyas and Kyoshos are mostly kits. Kyosho has the ZX-5 RTR (Ready Set) so check that out too. You won't go wrong with any of these.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 PM
traxxas4ever

the mini revo really isnt that small. it is definitely smaller than a 1/10 scale but only by about 3-4 inches. it is a foot long. look up some videos on youtube. it can handle a lot. if you want a buggy go with a vxl bandit. i dont like buggys much because of the little ground clearance. i find it hard to do much with them other than use them on the race track. they make really bad bashers. i would still go vxl rustler. its the best priced and best quality truck for your price range.

look into the 1/12 mini hyper ste. it is almost a 1/10. takes 1/10 electronics. can be bought as a kit.and its bulletproof from what i have heard. i just bought one a week ago and should be coming in tomorrow.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXJW1&P=7

buggy
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=TRX24085

rustler
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=TRX37082
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 PM
bhcvc

I agree with traxxas4ever, I'm not a big fan of buggies because of their limited application. Even a 1/8 buggy would be working hard to run at my local park. Whether it's a nitro or brushless setup, the motor would be more stressed because the low ground clearance would have it rubbing against all the grass creating lots of friction to overcome. Even my truggy heats up running at my local park and it has more ground clearance than a buggy. I have a 1/10 truggy/buggy, but I run 1/10 truck wheels/tires when I run on rougher terrain. Buggies, for me, are mostly a track vehicle due to the off-track places I run (not counting asphalt, which I don't like running much on).
Between the Bandit VXL and Rustler VXL, I'd pick the Rustler. The Bandit offers no handling advantage since it's 2WD also. I still like the HPI Firestorm Flux more though. If you want a 4WD buggy, the HPI Cyber, Tamiyas, and Kyoshos are great and low-cost. But keep in mind the low ground clearance.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Druss

We need more 1/10 4wd truggies. The Tamiya levant looks like it fits the bill but the price is too high even with a brushless system, i'd like to see it as a kit myself. $100 more than the firestorm flux but it's 4wd.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWXW8&P=7
Old 08-01-2009, 12:20 AM
bhcvc

I completely agree that we need more 1/10 4WD truggies!!! That was something I really wanted but couldn't find. I got fed up and picked up a Kyosho DBX/DST (same size, just different shell...the DBX is a "big" buggy almost the size of a 1/8 buggy, the DST is a normal size 1/10 truck) and converted it to brushless for much less than anything available.
The Levant looks cool, but that has got to be the fugliest radio ever!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Paulyd

i'm sure if you picked up the mini revo, and wanted to run at a track maybe, then if you talked to the track owner/manager, i bet they wouldnt have any problem if you were polite with it.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Felborn

Seems I decided the give the E-revo a go afterall. feedback on it seems great so hopefully it will be a blast
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM
traxxas4ever

you wont regret it. hope your happy with it.