Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash vs rustler vs micro t vs mini t

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM
acf7efi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash vs rustler vs micro t vs mini t

hey guys, i hear lots of good information on this site and i would want to ask you's some questions. I am pretty experienced with electronics and r/c's!! I've had tons and tons of radio shack/ the source r/c and now i really need a beafier truck. I was looking at the micro t and mini t as i hear they are really cheap/easy to mod but they might be to small. i was also looking at the rustler and slash xl5 because they look awsome.i would probably pick the slash between all of these but i may change my mind. I wouldnt really want to mod these thing alot but a few things is acceptable. I would mostly be riding in my driveway, dirt road and in my house because there is lots of room.

My idea is to buy the slash xl5 and later on buy the micro t to fool around.
the prices are: slash:270$
rustler:230$
micro t:100$
mini t :140$
thanks lots eric
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Slash vs rustler vs micro t vs mini t

are you wanting to know about the 1/16th scale slash or the 1/10 scale because the 10th scale is cheaper
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...attery-Charger

and if you decide on a mini-t i would get this one over the original
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...dium-Truck-RTR

the original isn't that great and that limited edition is the best one they made, it was once released as the mini-baja before vw got to them about using the bug shell without permission. they released it as the one in the link.

I have a traxxas slash and the Mini-baja i mentioned before. Love both and have had alot of fun with both.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
acf7efi

i'm talking about the cheaper one wich is 2wd and xl5 if i am not mistakening. Do you have the xl5 or vlx? and will the xl5 last me a while.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Cheap Guy

I have three of the four cars you listed (no Slash...yet) and all three are great cars in various settings. The Rustler is great if you run in rough terrain but it's also good on smooth lots. If you go brushless, you'll need a large area to really have fun. While the Micro T can be run outside, it really needs a smooth surface and is a better indoor car. The Mini-T seems to be a good compromise between the two, big enough to run outside, so long as it isn't too bumpy or soft (low ground clearance) but it really doesn't need a huge area to stretch out. With my brushed motor Mini-T's, I run them in the driveway and it works well, but I think they are a little large to run in a basement unless it's decent sized. I went brushless in a couple of my other Mini-T's and they are as quick as my brushless Rustlers on smooth surfaces like asphalt parking lots. But add a little soft dirt or decent size bumps and the Mini-T is out of the running with the Rustler. Lately I've been spending more time running the Mini-T's, again because they're able to run in smaller areas.

As far as replacement parts and durability, they pretty much are the same; parts are plentiful and fairly cheap. The biggest difference I've found is the cost of batteries and upgrades. You can get decent lipos for the Mini-T fairly cheap - about $7 - compared to $30 for the Rustler (both from HobbyCity.com). Uprgrades are also much cheaper for the Mini-T, whether you're referring to shocks, tires or motors. The Mini-T and Micro-T's require a few more upgrades than the Rustler to really enjoy, and the one of the downfalls for both is that they have a combined esc/tx, so to upgrade, you'll have to get separate escs and rx, plus with the Mini, you'll need a new servo since the stock one only works with the stock rx/esc. The good news is that you do that fairly cheaply.

While it may be a toss up between the Rustler and the Mini, the Micro IMO is really a "spare car" for specific conditions, mainly indoors.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
acf7efi

alright, thanks alot guys. I think i'll go with the slash as i hear lots of good stuff about it. But if i change my ming i will let you's know.

does anyone have a micro t for sale??
Old 08-01-2009, 09:38 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i have the slash with the xl5 esc its great fun. parts are plentiful and should you choose to race it the tracks have a slash class to race it in. mine is being driven around the house etc.