Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

TL01b chasis problem

Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
saxpg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TL01b chasis problem

Hi,
I have a problem with HBX bonzer (TL01b copy) . Recently after cleaning I have replaced pinon gear (19T), and reasembled all the other gears. Everything was OK, but on a first driving it started to make noise like gears are stripping. I found that there is a problem with gears 1 and 2 on the picture.

I have replaced number one with "tamiya speed tuned gear set" but they were damaged sonn also. Now I have replaced all the gears and after test drive cracling sound is here again. It also comes from gears 1 and 2, and it can be observed when applying brake and going bacwards (only during acceleration).

Any ideas where the problem might be?
I am using stock motor, and LiPo 2200mah 30C.

Thanks, Sasa.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: TL01b chasis problem

I'm not surprised that you are having problems. The outdrives are plastic. Also, the speed tuned gear set was only meant to be run as a set, not individually, which probably caused your second problem.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the hbx thread.....they will help you out..
Old 08-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I'd switch back to the regular gear set (and a genuine Tamiya set too) to lower the gear ratio. If you're still running the monster tires on it like those that come with it, that's really quite a strain on a transmission that was designed for sedan or buggy use at most. Slightly smaller tires would help a lot too.
Also I'd check to make sure there isn't a lot of play in things like bearings or the axles the gears ride on. When the gear can move farther away from each other, they're more likely to strip out.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 AM
RC-Hedgie

I have used an Alloy spur gear. especially if you are putting LiPo power though it. The spur gear is the weak link, it uses smaller teeth than the other parts of the transmission. Even the alloy ones wear.

The Bonzer thread is the place to be for TL-01B queries !!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 AM
saxpg

Thank you all for the answers. I did posted this question on HBX Bonzer topic but none of the guys there was willing to help.

@ The Mad Modder: this speed tuned gear set was put in as set, not individually. But it was weared of in a short time.

@Kitsune: I think you are right, when car is given extra weight gear sound and wearing is increased. Therefore I think smaller wheels could help, but on the other hand, I am driving it on LIPO for a year now and all was fine until recently. All the gears are now new and original tamiya and problem is still here. There must be something with pinon gear or chasis is simply warn out.

Thank you all again.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hold on a second. I own a bunch of those TL01 cars and none have ever hurt a gear. When you bought a new pinion what did you buy? Tamiya's use a funky metric size that is different than the standard 32 and 48P stuff. I do agree that you should use the stock non-speed tuned gear set but make sure you get the correct metric pinion.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:59 AM
saxpg

That is the point, I have this car for two years and never had a poblem with gears. They started after I assembled the car once after cleaning, and I made a mistake ataching the motor. The srews did fix the motor, so pinon gear was warn off. Then I ordered this one:
[link=http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-49232-tamiya-hard-coated-06-alum-pinion-gear-19ttl01-p-3545.html]Tamiya Hard Coated 0.6 Alum Pinion Gear 19T/TL-01[/link]

Could the overtightening the motor srews doing this?
I should try loosing them a bit and give a try.