Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

aluminum parts vs plastic parts

Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Daholla77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminum parts vs plastic parts

I was wondering which is more beneficial for bashing and racing. I see that some people us plastic parts and swear by them and I see some people swear by aluminum. Is there a better advantage to going aluminum then plastic and visa versa. thanks D
Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 PM
gelbschnee

Default RE: aluminum parts vs plastic parts

Plastic is what you want for bashing, and aluminum seems to me to be more for show. The plastic parts will flex and return to normal shape under stress, and if they stress too hard they will break. That's okay because plastic parts are really cheap to replace. When aluminum stresses, it's in general less likely to bend and break, but, if it bends, it won't return to its original shape. im no expert just my knowledge on the subject.

Check out [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8970893/anchors_8970893/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8970893]THIS[/link] thead for a lot of discussion on the aluminum vs plastic battle.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Daholla77

thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
huntergalles

if rpm products has the part get it its plastic and if it breaks you can just send it in and they will send you a new one
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
OvalRacer99

When aluminum is used in place of plastic, it will break at the next weakest point. For example, if you would normaly break a plastic a arm, with aluminum, it would either break the mount or chassis, posibly both. A arms are cheap, chassis can get expencive.
I use aluminum arm mounts and plastic arms.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM
gelbschnee

ORIGINAL: OvalRacer99

When aluminum is used in place of plastic, it will break at the next weakest point. For example, if you would normaly break a plastic a arm, with aluminum, it would either break the mount or chassis, posibly both. A arms are cheap, chassis can get expencive.
I use aluminum arm mounts and plastic arms.
This is a good choice. Aluminum mounts are less likely to be damaged when paired with plastic arms. In almost any case, the plastic will break instead leaving the aluminum unharmed. Instead of going all aluminum, or all plastic, you could use a combination of both to make a sweet looking, and durable rc. I'm doing the same thing with my sc10, but I am going with carbon fiber and aluminum.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Daholla77

So If you were rebuilding a slash what parts would you go Aluminum and what parts would you go plastic?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Druss

I would suggest very little in the way of aluminum in the slash as it's a pretty durable basher as is. The only place I recommend using aluminum is in those areas where you want stiffness. That's not to say I haven't fallen prey to the "bling" factor in some hop ups. I just don't typically do them to off road bashers, mostly my on road touring cars.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Daholla77

A better question to ask which parts are more likely to break and would be better to use plastic with?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Daholla77

So If you were rebuilding a slash what parts would you go Aluminum and what parts would you go plastic?
The only thing that I would upgrade to aluminum on a Slash is the steering crank, other than that RPM upgrades are perfect. Things like the bumpers and arms, I would not go aluminum because it will bend and when there is an impact, it will damage plastic parts because the force is being transfer to those parts.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 AM
TIGER76

Most alloy parts are for show tbh but for the slash i would upgrade the hub carriers to alloy,also boiling plastic parts will help them bend alittle better and not crack or split in a smash
When you replace certain parts for alloy it only adds stress to the next part causing more damage down the line
Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 AM
lee172

if your running a decent motor you may want to think about aluminium or metal motor mounts, ive heard stories of plastic ones warping..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Access

Racers don't want flex, they want stiffness. Aluminum means less 'slop', it means faster recovery or righting of the vehicle, better repeatability or consistency in handling, etc. Graphite and carbon fiber are also favored for the same reason. The stiffer parts are more brittle, they break easier, but racers, at least experienced racers, are willing to sacrifice durability for getting a slight advantage over their peers.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

IMO, if you can buy the part from RPM, then buy the RPM part. I've never seen an RPM piece break and the lifetime warranty is very comforting. I, for the most part, don't like using much aluminium. Hub carriers, a-arm mounts, and a few other random pieces are nice to have in aluminium for both rigidity, lack of wear, and durability. Aluminium shock towers, a-arms, bumpers, etc... aren't really necessary and will probably just end up getting bent eventually. Aluminium is also almost always going to be heavier than it's plastic or carbon counterparts.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:35 PM
OvalRacer99

The only place i use aluminum is bulkheads and a arm mounts. I would rather break the arm which can be replaced in a couple minutes.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Lilredmachine

Rpm have a good rep, but they aren't infallible. Their Slash rear hubs are weaker than stock, and their rc18 bumpers are known for shattering easily.

STRC make seriously high quality Slash parts, would not hesitate to put those on in place of plastic. In fact I didn't. I've got a good portion of the catalogue on mine, never so much as popped one of their shock caps.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

Rpm have a good rep, but they aren't infallible. Their Slash rear hubs are weaker than stock, and their rc18 bumpers are known for shattering easily.
I have a hard time believing that. Someone may have gotten a lemon(no company is perfect), but from what I've seen, the material they use gets its strength from its good ability to flex. So it seems rather unlikely that it'd shatter.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Lilredmachine

believe what you will, their plastic is also not particularly resistant to cold temperatures.

That's another point about plastic/aluminium parts, plastic parts tend to change properties in different heat. Plastic will become more brittle in cold weather and softer in warmer weather, alloy will not.

Budget monty: I have broken 2 of the RPM rear bearing carriers in the last 2 days. They fixed where the stock ones break by beefing it up there, but the RPM ones both broke right in the middle of the bearing area on mine. I already have the RPM arms and front Caster and steering blocks coming, but it looks like I need to get the aluminum rears. Anyone bend them, or are they pretty bulletproof? I am not a racer, I just need durability as I beat my truck hard.
Takedown and Brushlessboy both break RPM bumpers like they were made from chalk.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 AM
RC-Hedgie

The Tamiya DF-02 is known for weak shock towers.

I have used the same set of Yeah racing alloy towers for three years. Yes they have bent, but I have been able to straighten them.

Think about the application read the forums and decide for yourself if Alloy is better or not for what you need, I don't think there is one right answer......

I have also made some custom parts from alloy sheet including shock tower braces for a tl-01B, a wing mount for DF-02, steering parts, RX brackets and antennae mounts. For me this is another part of the hobby which I enjoy and can do when its raining, dark or both .

Just my observations.........

Hedgie
Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Mufasa_719

I would go alloy in any sort of bulkhead, arm mount, hub or knuckle, even pullys for belt driven on-roads. Shock tower will depend on what car or truck it is.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
ElectricGuy007

Most aluminum parts are just for the bling factor, yeah aluminum bulkheads is a must have, having
that strengthens the other parts. Never tried boiling plastic parts to make them stronger might have to try that
sometime. People used to do that in the old days whenever the RC10 came out, but I dont know
if I should boil my B44 a-arms or not. Might not work. I know I have not broken one in a long time.

Aluminum caster blocks usually come in handy since you normally have more mounting holes for setups.
I bought the plastic caster blocks for my 501x and thier's only 1 mounting hole, so I just left the aluminum ones
on there.