Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC10T4 motor and esc

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
airwethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10T4 motor and esc

I'm getting back in to racing. I used to run 1/10 nitro about 7 years ago, and still have a really nice RC10GT Factory Team, but I went down to the old RC raceway last night and found out they no longer race nitro at all. So I am going to ditch the GT and get a T4. Knowing less about electric, I need to find a good motor/speed control combo for a RC10T4 Factory Team.

If anybody can make engine/speed control suggestions I would really appreciate it. Keep the following in mind. I already have several NiMH batteries and a couple decent chargers that only do NiMH and NiCd. If I can find something that performs decently with NiMH power that would be preferred. I would like it to be a motor/esc that can run NiMHs for now, and upgrade without difficulty to LiPo in the not-to-distant future. I would prefer brushless. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I have been in this hobby long enough to know that you get what you pay for. A $200 combo that performs flawlessly is much better than a $100 that is flaky or easily broken. But, I would rather spend as little as possible to get decent performance and reliability. I am tempted by the EZRUN combos seen on places like nitrorcx.com, but if they are worthless chinese junk, then a $90 deal becomes just $90 I could have spent on something that works. My local shop pushes Novak stuff, and I usually like to give my business to the local shops.

Anyway, what do the great minds here suggest?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: RC10T4 motor and esc

for racing the novak is a popular choice. I would suggest you see what others are running at the track. if the class calls a 13.5 or 10.5 then an 8.5 does you no good. likewise if its unlimited/open you can check to see what they are running, a tight technical course might not be good with a 5.5 motor, etc
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
R/C Lightweight

Like kistner said, find out what your local track's classes are first. Currently ROAR rules are 27T brushed/17.5T brushless for stock class, 19T brushed/13.5T brushless for super stock, and there are several others, like open-class "run what you brung" type stuff. The most popular class at my local track is the 13.5 brushless class that we simply call "stock" - even though it's technically "super stock" per ROAR regulations. Most people at my track run the Novak GTB & 13.5SS motor or LRP Sphere + Vector 13.5 Stock Spec, and a couple people run the Losi Xcelorin and Tekin brushless 13.5 systems, all of which seem equal in performance. Hope this helps a little.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
OvalRacer99

Personaly, I run Novak brushless in a B4 with a 13.5 for the 19 turn spec class and it works great. There are a few good systems on the market. Tekin, Losi, Speedpasion, LRP and Mamba are all good stuff. The ones i would recamend avoiding are the el cheapo systems you see on EBay.
I bought a $50 esc & motor on EBay and I think it lasted maybe a month in my grandsons T4 and all he did was backyard bashing for an hour or two on the weekends.
So I bought him a used Novak Havoc with a 17.5 about 6 months ago and it's still going strong.
Just my two cents!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Access

Novak Havoc combo for $140. or so. There's on reason to get one of their more expensive ESCs unless you are racing modified on-road or something like that. Choose the motor based on the most popular class or the ones most of the beginners are racing (typically 17.5 or 13.5).
Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

i wouldnt ignore the ez-run/ yeah racing systems, ive been racing with one for a while (our track is very loose on rules) and its is more than capable for racing.

your best bet is novak though. they are the most popular and perform very well
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
airwethead

As far as racing classes, my track has a novice class which has no real restrictions, just to get your feet wet. I would be running this class for the foreseeable future. Once you graduate, there is a stock class (13.5T brushless and above I believe, even though stock should be 17.5 as far as rules go) and a mod class, which as near as I can tell has no restrictions (I know, once again contrary to what ROAR official rules say).

I would like to come as near as possible to the 13.5T restriction, as that class seems to be the next step up from novice at my track. The two motor/esc combos I have found interesting so far are both 8.5T, which would probably be overkill for my skills right now.

Anyway, for a budget solution I like the EZRUN 60A esc with 8.5T, but it is sensorless, which seems to be causing some cogging with lower powered NiMH batteries. On the plus side, the combo seen [link=http://www.nitrorcx.com/ezrun-brushless-system-combo-b5-w60a-esc.html]here[/link] comes with a programming card which allows you to set the "punch" and timing to work better with low power batteries. Down side - sold out, sketchy origins, probably lack of support, and oh yeah, it's sold out.

For $50 more I can get a sensored [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911/products_id/30216/n/Novak-Havoc-Sport-Sensored-Brushless-System-85T]Novak Havoc Sport Sensored Brushless[/link] system. I like the idea of the sensored motor/esc, as well as the Novak name.

Finally, for $10 more, there is the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911/products_id/33973/n/Novak-Havoc-Spec-Brushless-System-175T]Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System (17.5T)[/link], which is the most expensive of all my choices, but appears to fit my needs perfectly.

If anybody has these systems, and has used them to race, I would appreciate your input. And as always, I will take any and all suggestions.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM
airwethead

ORIGINAL: FieroMan121

i wouldnt ignore the ez-run/ yeah racing systems, ive been racing with one for a while (our track is very loose on rules) and its is more than capable for racing.

your best bet is novak though. they are the most popular and perform very well
Yeah I read the whole (now 19 page) EZRUN thread, saw you come up quite a few times. I didn't see anything in there that would scare me away from the inexpensive EZRUN motors and ESCs.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: airwethead

As far as racing classes, my track has a novice class which has no real restrictions, just to get your feet wet. I would be running this class for the foreseeable future. Once you graduate, there is a stock class (13.5T brushless and above I believe, even though stock should be 17.5 as far as rules go) and a mod class, which as near as I can tell has no restrictions (I know, once again contrary to what ROAR official rules say).

I would like to come as near as possible to the 13.5T restriction, as that class seems to be the next step up from novice at my track. The two motor/esc combos I have found interesting so far are both 8.5T, which would probably be overkill for my skills right now.

Anyway, for a budget solution I like the EZRUN 60A esc with 8.5T, but it is sensorless, which seems to be causing some cogging with lower powered NiMH batteries. On the plus side, the combo seen [link=http://www.nitrorcx.com/ezrun-brushless-system-combo-b5-w60a-esc.html]here[/link] comes with a programming card which allows you to set the ''punch'' and timing to work better with low power batteries. Down side - sold out, sketchy origins, probably lack of support, and oh yeah, it's sold out.

For $50 more I can get a sensored [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911/products_id/30216/n/Novak-Havoc-Sport-Sensored-Brushless-System-85T]Novak Havoc Sport Sensored Brushless[/link] system. I like the idea of the sensored motor/esc, as well as the Novak name.

Finally, for $10 more, there is the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_911/products_id/33973/n/Novak-Havoc-Spec-Brushless-System-175T]Novak Havoc Spec Brushless System (17.5T)[/link], which is the most expensive of all my choices, but appears to fit my needs perfectly.

If anybody has these systems, and has used them to race, I would appreciate your input. And as always, I will take any and all suggestions.
I'd run the Havoc with the 17.5 to start off with if I were you. That's absolutely perfect for getting a feel for the truck and racing in general. The Havoc can run down to a 8.5, so there is plenty of room to move up with more powerful motors as you go. You'd be surprised what that 17.5 can do if properly geared, especially if you decide to run lipo. I have no experience with EZRUN, so can't help you there. Novak has always been good to me.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
airwethead

Thanks Lightweight, that is the one I have decided on.

Now where is my credit card...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: airwethead

Thanks Lightweight, that is the one I have decided on.

Now where is my credit card...
No problem, glad I could be of help. I think you made the right call. You'll like the smoothness of Novak's brushless systems. They're hard to beat, and they have top-notch cutomer service.