Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what should i get for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i get for racing?

im kinda wanting a race worthy vehicle, but want a durable one too.. about 220 bucks is the limit WITH electronics.im looking at:
used slash
new/used sc10
hpi blitz
tamiya durga
losi xxx4
basically any buggy thats racable

i have a rusty now so dont really want a stadium truck..

i want it to be DECENTLY DURABLE
ill prolly just drive it around my track. prolly not any insane bashing.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
chaserogesr14

Default RE: what should i get for racing?

well the slash might not be the fastest but it is definately the funnest truck to race. Its durability is beyond this world just make sure to check the hinge ins from time to time
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Traxxas4fun

ok. if i got a slash, i would prolly buy a used one with some upgrades. where id race it is a shortcourse mod class.. kinda why i want a sc10..

but id also like a xxx4 or dark impact to play with around my house even if i couldnt race it
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Tilux

Durga is great, but the problem you wont be running it in that price range. you would need about 350-400 with radio,battery,ESC (Not included in package) and servo.
The SC10 is great cause it comes with everything, so does the Slash. I dont know much about the HPI Blitz, could be great too. You can still run them around your house
when your not racing. It all comes down to you to choose the truck/buggy you want.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Traxxas4fun

350-400 bucks?? kit= 140ish with tower coupon, all i need is a servo, esc, battery,and radio system

i have 2 servos, i have 2 batterys. and i could buy my friends xl-5 esc for like 30 bucks.. and buy a traxxas radio system for like 50
Old 08-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Chris_RC

I'd get the B4 RTR from Associated. $230 RTR and it is a good overall buggy. Also, find out what classes the track aroud you runs. If they run a 4wd mod class a 2wd stock buggy wont fit in well, and if they have a slash class they wont allow a stadium truck.

The Losi xxx4 is pretty much made of glass, once you hit something it is almost guaranteed to break. Plus, the kit is $320 new without electronics. Same goes with the Durga, only its about $200 new without electronics.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Traxxas4fun

yeh i know for sure they run a short course mod class.. thats funny you say the xxx4 is made of glass.. i had some1 else try to tell me they were very durable.. i didnt believe it because they never have been recommended before.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Traxxas4fun

yeh i know for sure they run a short course mod class.. thats funny you say the xxx4 is made of glass.. i had some1 else try to tell me they were very durable.. i didnt believe it because they never have been recommended before.
4wd just has alot more things to go wrong. For example, the belt drive and everyhting that transfers power to the front end is just something that can go wrong. Really, there aren't many 4wd buggies besdies maybe Tamiya that are durable.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Druss

about 220 bucks is the limit WITH electronics

350-400 bucks?? kit= 140ish with tower coupon, all i need is a servo, esc, battery,and radio system

i have 2 servos, i have 2 batterys. and i could buy my friends xl-5 esc for like 30 bucks.. and buy a traxxas radio system for like 50

How do these two quotes work? First it has to be $220 with electronics... then you have half the electronics... make up your mind. Don't blame a guy for trying to answer the question you asked. If you had a servo, battery and access to a radio then you should have stated as much in your FIRST post.

If you can afford the Durga then it's a good racer, definitely not the best but if you're a good driver you'll compete. Durable enough to bash and with the fully enclosed drive train there is not much maintenance.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:42 AM
usa98030

The hyper 7 tq black is durable and is 4wd.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Traxxas4fun

maybe you should read the post

he said it was going to cost 350-400 bucks to get a running dark impact. i said i really didnt see how.. i guess he didnt know i had a charger and battery

ORIGINAL: Druss

How do these two quotes work? First it has to be $220 with electronics... then you have half the electronics... make up your mind. Don't blame a guy for trying to answer the question you asked. If you had a servo, battery and access to a radio then you should have stated as much in your FIRST post.

If you can afford the Durga then it's a good racer, definitely not the best but if you're a good driver you'll compete. Durable enough to bash and with the fully enclosed drive train there is not much maintenance.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Tilux

maybe you should read the post before you come on here being a jackass

he said it was going to cost 350-400 bucks to get a running dark impact. i said i really didnt see how.. i guess he didnt know i had a charger and battery

ORIGINAL: Druss

Hey, you should have told the part youhad batteryand charger, it probably cost you around 200-280$ then, but you'll still need an ESC
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Traxxas4fun

well, i said in my first post, i had a rusty.. so i kinda assumed you knew that i wouldnt just own a car with no batteries or a charger lol..
Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Traxxas4fun

im kinda wanting a race worthy vehicle, but want a durable one too.. about 220 bucks is the limit WITH electronics.im looking at:
used slash
new/used sc10
hpi blitz
tamiya durga
losi xxx4
basically any buggy thats racable

i have a rusty now so dont really want a stadium truck..
i want it to be DECENTLY DURABLE
ill prolly just drive it around my track. prolly not any insane bashing.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
XXT-CRer

edit.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Chris_RC

maybe you should read the post before you come on here being a jackass

Sure, you can get a cheap Traxxas radio, a MSC, a $10 standard servo, but you say you want to race. You need at least 3-5 batteries to race or else it gets really boring waiting for your batteries to charge. Then you will need 2 chargers. I wouldnt be caught dead with that Traxxas radio, it has no features. So you would need a DX3S radio, or DX2.0 if you go on the cheaper side. Then a brushless system will cost you 150-250.
Then a $50 digital servo.

And about the Durga being a good racer, it needs alot of 511x upgrades to even compete. It has plastic shocks for example. And you would have to race in th 4wd mod class, which is one of the most competative classes in electric racing.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Traxxas4fun

i wasnt gonna proll race if i got the durga or dark impact..

i dont need a 2.4 radio. i already have 2 futaba servos.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Chris_RC

i wasnt gonna proll race if i got the durga or dark impact..

i dont need a 2.4 radio. i already have 2 futaba servos.
The Traxxas radio wont be good for racing, I can tell you that right now. And what 2 Futaba servos do you have? You want a .13- and 90+ torque servo, and those are around $50.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:46 PM
XXT-CRer

good job traxxas.

i know it sounds nuts, but ive seen a guy with a duratrax evader st win more a mains than i can count in stock truck.
as far as getting into racing on a budget, i would have to look at them.

another good suggestion was the ae rtr models. with them, you would definitly have the equipment to compete, and win your share if you do your part.

i personally would look to ebay. i think you could land a xxxt or a t4 roller for less than 100 bux, sometimes way less, then you have the same basic platform as the high end of what you see winning every friday night in practically every off road track in the land.

if you can score a proven name like ae or losi, its all up to you after that.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Traxxas4fun

chris they are old servos.. not anything recent. and im not gonna race every weekend all the time.. im only 16 and dont have tons of money. my futaba servos are decent imo.

ok.. well ill have to see what is raced at my track
Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

a B4 RS should do you good...

the lug
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 PM
bhcvc

How about the Kyosho ZX-5 RTR? It comes with all the electronics, radio, etc. All you need are batteries and a charger, which you already have. Everything I've seen about them says they handle very well. And I think AMain has a special on them (check their clearance section) for $170!

I also like the HPI Blitz a LOT. With Tower's discount, you'll be well under $220 and use the rest for more batteries.

The ZX-5 will handle better, but the 1/10 SC trucks are so much bigger looking (because of the shell) and fun watch go around the track.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Chris_RC

chris they are old servos.. not anything recent. and im not gonna race every weekend all the time.. im only 16 and dont have tons of money. my futaba servos are decent imo.

ok.. well ill have to see what is raced at my track
I dont have alot of money either, but I make it last.

Anyway, I still stand by the B4 RTR if they have a 2wd stock buggy class.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

your in the same boat i was in when in high school, imo go for practicality.

the slash may be your best bet, for example, if you need parts asap (between races) many of the rustlers parts are direct replacements and you can get part basicly anywhere since traxxas is slowly taking over the world and the slash clas seems to be the most fun out of all the classes which is how racing should be; fun!

i would stay clear of 4wd buggies, they tend to be the most competative 1/10th scale class and most of the chassis arent great for anything but racing (i made that mistake with the team academy sbv2 pro which is a whole story in and of itself) and those that arent racers are usualy not that great on their own merit.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
cumquat

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHAS9&P=0 your best option as far as the price. as far as a radio the traxxas will do fine, you dont need all the computerized crap. features are useless, they just make running that much less unenjoyable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.