Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which Short Course Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Short Course Truck?

Buddy and me are thinking about getting some SC trucks to race around in the yard and maybe at the track. My RC Cars to date are Traxxas Rustler VXL, and a Traxxas Revo 3.3. I don't have either anymore, had to sell them off to pay medical bills. I really liked the VXL: fast, easy to use. The Revo was fun but the hassle of tuning and cleaning nitro got old realy quick. My friend is new to RC and he's lazier than me so nitro is out.

From what I can see there are 4 choices and I'd like a little advice on which one is right:

Traxxas Slash: Started the craze, but I've had 2 traxxas allready, looking for something different
Losi Strike: Comes with a 2.4 ghz radio (I have no radio gear) but it looks ugly and from what I've read people aren't too impressed with it
HPI Blitz RTR: Looks good, built off the Firestorm chassis
Team Associated SC10 RTR: Looks great, AE reputation for racing

I'm really leaning towards either the Blitz or the SC10. I'll be doing mosty racing in my yard, not real big into super high jumps and tearing up the truck and all. Which one has that special something that says "Pick me!!" ?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 06:58 PM
iTz Nicholas

Default RE: Which Short Course Truck?

HPI Blitz all the way!!!
It will handle nearly as good as the SC10 and will also have if not surpass the strength of the Slash.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
HandyRacing

The Losi is out unless someone makes a major (read that as everyone buys into it) decision about rules (its too big to meet many club rules if they go ROAR or nothing).

The HPI intrigues me...

And I like my Slash - its durable and parts are cheap and easy to find.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
HandyRacing

PS - I suspect the SC10 is too fragile for bashing, its more like a sort of nimble CORR truck.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Doxiedad

I have nothing against the slash, just had 2 traxxas allready and looking for a change. The HPI looks good and so does the SC10. Not sure it's too fragile, seen other people say it's tough. Even when I do bash I don't go jumping it off the roof of the house anyways.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:14 PM
HandyRacing

I'm keeping an eye on the Class and the related issues as they develop. Perhaps after you buy whatever, come back and update this post as you get used to the new rig. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
iTz Nicholas

Another advantage of the Blitz over the SC10 is the fact it has a Steel Transmission.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Doxiedad

ORIGINAL: iTz Nicholas

Another advantage of the Blitz over the SC10 is the fact it has a Steel Transmission.
Yeah I was looking at that too, would make the upgrade to brushless easier. I'm gonna have to check the local track and see what's run, If there is a lot of SC trucks racing or maybe a lot of Stadium trucks.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 PM
iTz Nicholas

Yea, going to Bl with the Blitz would be a breeze. The SC10 can handle BL but if you want to get a powerful system you may have issues.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
gelbschnee

Yes, the sc10 is very tough. Many people think "Oh, ae is racing and traxxas is toys, so the sc10 has to be weak" this is very wrong.
SC trucks are all pretty tough because of their large bumpers, and the fact the the body covers the tires. This reduces cartwheels on the tires which can be destructive. When my sc10 starts to cartwheel it kind of just falls either on all four or onto the lid.
I don't race my sc10, just bash. I drive on a lot of pavement too and have had some high speed wrecks (35+) into car tires, curbs, etc. I have not broke any parts yet after probably 50 runs. One thing you will want to get is a chassis brace of some type. I have not yet, but the front chassy plate is taking considerable wear. This is expected of nylon when you scrape it against pavement.
There are countless upgrades for the sc10, so anything you break can be replaced with something better (cf, aluminum)
The sc10 diff doesnt even need to be all metal, its very strong and I can't imagine any motor (even MMM) having problems with ruining this diff.
Apart from defending the sc10's toughness, I would also like to add that the HPI blitz would be just as good to me as the sc10. I will always stand behind HPI as being tough, and performing well.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Willystylz

One thing about the SC10's plastic tranny is that it seems to be very efficient...........i've seen a mag test it with the stock 17t Reedy motor doing 30+ mph. And more than one test doing over 35mph with a tame 13.5t brushless!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: iTz Nicholas

HPI Blitz all the way!!!
It will handle nearly as good as the SC10 and will also have if not surpass the strength of the Slash.
Wow, someone who can predict the future!!!

Just razzing you dude. I like my SC10 but the HPIlooks like a quality truck, it will be interesting to see what it can do.
The biggest thing I look at is if parts and pieces are available localy. You can hit just about any hobby shop in the country and get Associated, losi and Traxxas parts. I believe with HPI becoming a major player in the rc game, their stuff will be on the shelves also.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
HandyRacing

The SC10 record for breaking the front of the chassis is something to consider. It seems AE making the transition from the T4 to an SC truck could have used a little more structural upgrading in the front...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I would put my money on the blitz. Btw are parts interchangeable with the e-firestorm?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
iTz Nicholas

Yea, a lot of the parts will be interchangable.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM
mdst1960

I ordered both the HPI Blitz (won't be avail untill mid October) and the Losi Strike (will be in Aug 16th) i currently own 2 Traxxas Slashes, 1 AE SC10 and 3 Redcat Vortex Desert 1/10th scale Desert Off Road Short Course Trucks. Are there any other ones in this catagory (excluding the Thundertech kit) that you know of? And what do you think will be better the Blitz or Strike?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: mdst1960

I ordered both the HPI Blitz (won't be avail untill mid October) and the Losi Strike (will be in Aug 16th) i currently own 2 Traxxas Slashes, 1 AE SC10 and 3 Redcat Vortex Desert 1/10th scale Desert Off Road Short Course Trucks. Are there any other ones in this catagory (excluding the Thundertech kit) that you know of? And what do you think will be better the Blitz or Strike?
[link=http://blog.handyracing.com/2009/08/01/worlds-first-academy-short-course-truck.aspx]How about a Team Academy[/link] ?

I'll wait untill I can talk to folks who race them and hear the pros and cons of actual race performance, before I form opinions of the new Losi and HPI products.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
flat6
My Feedback: (5)

Ive had a traxxas slash for quite a while now. As for durability its amazing. Ive broken ONE minor part since ive owned it and that was from flipped full speed into a curb. It was a 6 dollar fix.

When it comes to racing and those who consider a slash as not being a good track truck, they are completely wrong. The actual on track performance between a slash, sc10, etc is so minimal that it will all come down to the driver. There are countless videos showing slashes beating sc10's and vice versa. If you are not looking into competitive racing then that should not be a worry of yours. My slash when it was in stock form did great on the track. I recently dropped in a brushless system and am loving it. Nothing needed upgraded and the truck is an absolute monster right now. Parts as mentioned above are EASY to find and cheap.

As for the HPI Blitz, it looks like a great truck. We cant really say that though until its out and being tested, etc.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
traxxas4ever

i would put my money on the blitz. however it isnt out yet so nothing can be said for sure.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:17 PM
ElectricGuy007

I'll probably get the strike only if I know I can run it on the slash oval. Lower it etc for dirt oval racing.
But for racing in the SC10 class or mod corr class I would be better off with a blitz than a SC10.
Nobody runs SC10's around here, so I'm glad I never bought one even though it's a nice truck.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: gelbschnee

Yes, the sc10 is very tough. Many people think ''Oh, ae is racing and traxxas is toys, so the sc10 has to be weak'' this is very wrong.
SC trucks are all pretty tough because of their large bumpers, and the fact the the body covers the tires. This reduces cartwheels on the tires which can be destructive. When my sc10 starts to cartwheel it kind of just falls either on all four or onto the lid.
I don't race my sc10, just bash. I drive on a lot of pavement too and have had some high speed wrecks (35+) into car tires, curbs, etc. I have not broke any parts yet after probably 50 runs. One thing you will want to get is a chassis brace of some type. I have not yet, but the front chassy plate is taking considerable wear. This is expected of nylon when you scrape it against pavement.
There are countless upgrades for the sc10, so anything you break can be replaced with something better (cf, aluminum)
The sc10 diff doesnt even need to be all metal, its very strong and I can't imagine any motor (even MMM) having problems with ruining this diff.
Apart from defending the sc10's toughness, I would also like to add that the HPI blitz would be just as good to me as the sc10. I will always stand behind HPI as being tough, and performing well.
I dont buy that for a minute, if you run head first at 35+ into a curb or car tire with an SC10 you will break something, more than likely the chassis. I have one, its an awesome truck, but my slash is considerably more durable.

But back to the original topic, no one knows about the HPI or Losi versions, they arent even out yet. The HPI one is still a few months away I believe. If you are primarily going to bash get the slash. If you want to have the best available race truck the SC10 is your truck.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

im stuck in the same postion as you.. im gonna get a truck (sc) to race.. the blitz is more durable. the sc10 looks better.. but i have 2 7 cell hump packs atm, so id need to figure some way for the blitz bat tray holder to work
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
monsterbrad

The Blitz I hope will be worth the wait.
Looks solid to me
The SC-10 is a sweet truck also but needs some fine tuning to get track worthy.
The Slash is a great basher and some what of a racer if you want to take the time for set up and a few other things.
ALso remember it is extrememly hard to have a basher racer at the same time.
Some do it but it depends on your bashing style.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Congzilla

I really don't know why people are commenting on the durability of a truck they have never driven. The HPI looks so close to the SC10 that I think it is pretty silly to say that it will be stronger or more durable. It even has the same skinny neck ([link]http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hpiblitz-5.jpg[/link]) that looks like it will snap if you look at it wrong. Honestly looking threw all the images I can find the Blitz and the SC10 look like the same truck with the only changes being minor things that wouldn't effect performance like the little serve brace.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Congzilla

Looking at it closer the only advantage I see in the Blitz over the SC10 is that it uses hex wheel hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.