RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I sold my Slash...

Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
samguan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I sold my Slash...

The truck was great most of the time. But I'm looking for something different now. Well not exactly different. I'm thinking about the HPI Blitz...

The first time I got my eyes on the Slash, I hated the design so much, the simple chassis and the design looks kind of toy style too me. But one day I just started to like it and bought it. I sold it... man.. I needed the cash...Sorry Slash.

In my personal opinion, The HPI Blitz looks way better than the Slash(Not talking about the body style). I mean the whole chassis and the design.

One thing for sure about my Slash is its durability, the parts are very strong!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Druss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I sold my Slash...

I don't understand what you mean? The layout is exactly the same, it actually is less friendly in that the battery strap won't allow for a 7 cell hump configuration battery.

I do like the fact that the servo is on the inside and protected though.

I think it would come down to what it will cost.

Also, remember that the slash was designed in part for the beginner to get into RC and racing, a simple design is better.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 PM
iTz Nicholas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why would you want to use a 7 cell hump. Li-Po cost no more then Ni-Mh is you go to HobbyCity...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Druss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm talking about options... maybe someone doesn't want to go lipo yet or already has 7 cell humps? If you're not going to add to a discussion please refrain from posting....
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Redvanmafia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

he is right tho, why not go lipo arnt some packs roar racing approved? so you can race them, and 5000mah lipo vs 5000mah nimh the lipo will last 20+% longer is lighter and runs for the whole time its charged, not 10 minutes of speed then 5-10 minutes of slow because the battery's voltage is starting to drop a lipo will run full speed for 30 minutes with no voltage drop off or any kind of memory in the cells and there really fast. you cant go wrong with lipos plus there price is comming down you can get 2s lipos for 80 bucks my lhs have chargers for 89.99 that charge up to 6s lipo with balancing ports,
Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Chris_RC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

he is right tho, why not go lipo arnt some packs roar racing approved? so you can race them, and 5000mah lipo vs 5000mah nimh the lipo will last 20+% longer is lighter and runs for the whole time its charged, not 10 minutes of speed then 5-10 minutes of slow because the battery's voltage is starting to drop a lipo will run full speed for 30 minutes with no voltage drop off or any kind of memory in the cells and there really fast. you cant go wrong with lipos plus there price is comming down you can get 2s lipos for 80 bucks my lhs have chargers for 89.99 that charge up to 6s lipo with balancing ports,
Lipo's are no faster than nimh, just alot less maintence.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have the turnigy accucel-6 from hobbycity and it is as accurate or more accurate than those $150+ hyperion charger. i confirmed it with a higher-end multimeter. mine was $40, but now they are $35. that charger is the best $40 i have ever spent on rc-related stuff. the lipos there are actually not bad even compared to the american big name brands. i saw a promatch 4800mah 2s lipo puff in a slash while a 4000mah 2s zippy lipo has been holding up well in a similar setup.

the hobbycity lipos are BETTER than maxamps, better than venom, and better than losi. they aren't quite as good as polyquest packs or flightpower packs, but they are by far, the best value.

ok, back on subject, i like the design of the blitz over the slash as well. i might be selling my rustler vxl soon, because i want a 4wd 1/12 truggy and the rustler doesn't handle like i would like it to. i need something 4wd with a center diff. i'm thinking the hyper mini ste.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 AM
redfisher1974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Druss

I don't understand what you mean? The layout is exactly the same, it actually is less friendly in that the battery strap won't allow for a 7 cell hump configuration battery.

Also, remember that the slash was designed in part for the beginner to get into RC and racing, a simple design is better.
No but it fits a 7 cell sxs just fine.And its $200 usd.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Lilredmachine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Druss

No but it fits a 7 cell sxs just fine.And its $200 usd.
Every man and his dog knows that you should only put nimhs in SxS configuration, 7 cell hump packs are fail. My Slash may have a 4s lipo throbbing along an EZ run 80 amp controller with an 8L motor these days but I'm at no loss as to what the original was designed for, fun, not performance, the fact it will fit a 7 cell hump pack is a homage to that.

The Blitz looks well and truely sorted. And like with most things, if it looks good, it will generally go good.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 AM
traxxas4ever

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i use to run decent nimh packs with all my cars. however when i switched to lipo i actually did noticed speed difference. the torque was completely through the roof also. instead of my mamba stuttering endlessly and getting up to 35mph i was hitting 43mph. i use to run dtx packs SxS 4200mah. my first lipos were protek 20c 4000mah. i then got zippy 4000mah 30c lipos and noticed an extra 2 mph. i now run zippy 5000mah 30c 3 cell lipos and i break 50mph. so lipos do make a difference. the nimh packs do not supply enough power for most modern day systems. if you put a lipo in a system that dosent need that much power to run it will not go much faster if you put a lipo in a car that needs the biggest battery you can put in it you will notice a HUGE difference with lipo.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Redvanmafia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No faster then nimh?, i had some 90 dollar 7 cell 3700 packs, and my 2s lipo put out more punch, and run time, plus being lighter it was more peppy forsure, nimh cant compare to lipo in any way theres nothing good about nimh
Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 AM
redfisher1974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure lipo's are great,but saying their is nothing good about nimh is a little harsh,before lipo nimh where good batts.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

downside to lipos on a slash is the xl-5 doesnt have a voltage cutoff so you would have to be careful with the voltage or but a seperate voltage monitoring. if you accidentally run them too low you ruin a lipo.