Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Red Cat???

Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Cat???

I never really looked into redcat rc or actaally heard anything about them. could anybody share some knowledge on there products.

i ran into a random website when looking for rc tanks an i noticed they carried a full line of redcat an saw they had a brushless 4wd 1/10 scale monster truck for $180 an thought that its to good of a deal.

heres the link to the website

http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-truck...pro-p-455.html[/link]
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Redvanmafia

Default RE: Red Cat???

Whats so hard with going with a name brand that you can trust, with actual parts availibility?, all these Uber cheap companys look good on paper, but thats it
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
dbigfoot111

just for your info they are not tough at all, i had a nitro volcano sv, and im switchin to electric.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:21 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

redcats arent bad but they have their weak points. ull have to stock up on parts since they have ot be ordered. look at their 1/8 scale brushless buggy it pretty sweet and it comes with lipos and charger
Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Redvanmafia

wouldnt buying a brand name that your LHS sells be easyer?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Chris_RC

The price is so because because:
the company has almost Zero customer support
the quality used throughtout the car leaves ALOT to be desired. redcats have some major design flaws that cant be fixed
they are made in china by people making 10cents an hour. not saying that most top mfg's arent made in another country, but still......
Old 09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
gman1

I agree with pretty much everyone's response in this thread. You may as well go for a company that you can trust and that you have heard of. Part's availablity which has already been mentioned in this thread, is going to be hard to come by. The vehicles that they sell are cheap for good reason, because that's what they are is cheap. The only company that i will stick up for that sells cheap items is that of EZrun. I purchased one of their ESC's not too long ago and i couldn't be more happy with it, but as far as Redcat racing is concerned, i would leave that to the Dog's, (No pun intended, LoL.) That just my opinion on the company, as well as many others that you'll talk to on here. If you don't see that company advertised in any of the major RC magazines, which i read faithfully every month, than it's probably not worth purchasing. Thank you, come again!!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:33 AM
dbigfoot111

to be honest with you, if i can have a choice to go back and pick another truck i will try to pick some brand name (traxxas, hpi, ect) i think its best if you put maybe 80 more and get something decent. just my 2cents =)
Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 AM
mdst1960

I own 2 1/10th scale Vortex EP Brushless and the !/8th scale Aftershock 8E. I also own 2 Traxxas Slashes. Yes they are not quite as tough as a Slash but what Short Course Desert Trusk is? The Traxxas Slash stock has a Brushed motor and is 2WD The Vortex is about $40 cheaper (depending where you buy it) and has a brushless motor and 4WD and is a little bit smaller (see pix)and if you put a Lipoo battery in it it will go much faster than te slash and corner much sharper without flipping, It comes with aluminum shocks and shock tower. HOWEVER on a rough muddy course the Traxxas rules because its waterproof and it has superior suspension and much higher gound clearence. Plus the 2WD is so easy to work on and getting Traxxs parts are easy because just about all hobbie stores stock them. Traxxas also supplies you with al the toolsyou need to fix and maintain your truck. So it depends on what you want out of your Hobbie Truck. My Redcats have taken major poundings at the track and have no more issues than my Traxxas does but since they are 4WD they have 2 times as many parts to break. I prefer my Redcat when I Race because its so much faster (stock) and I can corner faster with out a flip. I say get them both. (if you can)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87556.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	1268843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68084.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	1268844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25101.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	1268845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69780.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	511.8 KB
ID:	1268846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12253.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	1268847  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:58 AM
basketballfan60123

I am interested in purchasing a aftershock 8e and was wondering what the runtimes are with the lipos that come with the kit ?
Also if i purchased max amps lipo which one should i use and can it be charged with the balance charger that comes with the redcat kit?
I am looking for a lipo that can increase the run times by a lot and not screw something up;sorry if i am not specific as i know nothing about electric.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:09 AM
neyou86

basketballfan go with zippy's. they are way cheaper and are just as good. ive never had either but from what ive heard they are great
Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Tilux

ORIGINAL: mdst1960

I own 2 1/10th scale Vortex EP Brushless and the !/8th scale Aftershock 8E. I also own 2 Traxxas Slashes. Yes they are not quite as tough as a Slash but what Short Course Desert Trusk is? The Traxxas Slash stock has a Brushed motor and is 2WD The Vortex is about $40 cheaper (depending where you buy it) and has a brushless motor and 4WD and is a little bit smaller (see pix)and if you put a Lipoo battery in it it will go much faster than te slash and corner much sharper without flipping, It comes with aluminum shocks and shock tower. HOWEVER on a rough muddy course the Traxxas rules because its waterproof and it has superior suspension and much higher gound clearence. Plus the 2WD is so easy to work on and getting Traxxs parts are easy because just about all hobbie stores stock them. Traxxas also supplies you with al the toolsyou need to fix and maintain your truck. So it depends on what you want out of your Hobbie Truck. My Redcats have taken major poundings at the track and have no more issues than my Traxxas does but since they are 4WD they have 2 times as many parts to break. I prefer my Redcat when I Race because its so much faster (stock) and I can corner faster with out a flip. I say get them both. (if you can)
Lol, it looks like those Redcat tryed to copy the body and failed. [sm=tired.gif]

Edit : WOOT 100 post. [8D]
Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Tilux

Lol, it looks like those Redcat tryed to copy the body and failed. [sm=tired.gif]

It does indeed look like they tried to copy the slash's body. Myself, I think that even if a body doesn't look very good, it's better than just copying someone else's design.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM
skippy7399

I've had experience with Redcat and ordering parts. Their web site is difficult to use at best, doesn't recognize the part numbers out of their own manual, come on! However (and this is a blatant plug) dominiquecockers is a proseller on here and I ordered a part from him that not only was cheaper than from Redcat's site, it was cheaper then other Redcat dealers. Sent him the number he sent me the price shipped. Easy fast and I had the part quickly.

So their web site sucks, their trucks are cheap, low quality knock offs. However if your price conscious and like many, don't have a lhs (yes there are places like this) it's a nice alternative. Good for entry level racers, infact that's even the companies moto. I wouldn't hesitate myself to buy Redcat again. Decent radios too.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Lurp06x

HEY hold on here who said i was looking at getting a redcat. i never intended on getting a redcat i just happen across a website selling them an i looked through there product an notice that the information that they gave about the vehicles was little to none an wanted to know a little more. besides i looking at getting a losi nitro mt an thats for another thread but i am already decisded which one i am getting. but just to here some info on redcat an so pretty much they suck worse than duratrax. i got traxxas vehicles an losi vehicles i not down scaleing just gathering info. thats all but thanks guys keep it coming
Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
mdst1960

My BAD! I got you mixed up with somebody else. I am so sorry I got t quit drinking I guess. Once again I am sorry
Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 PM
mdst1960

Oh I forgot to mention i just orderd the Losi Strike it should be here any day now. I only mentioned it to let you know I am not trying to say Redcats are better than any Traxxas Losi or HPI ONLY that they are are good price and quite fast right out of the box with no upgrades
Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Lurp06x

Dont worry man it happens to us all when we are enjoying are selves