Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking for a Charger/Power Supply combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Charger/Power Supply combo

I am looking to buy a charger/power supply. Right now I have this horrible Onyx 230. It just doesnt have the features I want. I want the charger to be able to charge nimh's and discharge them, balance lipos, 1-14 cells nimh, 1-4 cells lipo, max charge rate probably 6+amps, the usual stuff. I want the power supply to power a couple chargers. So far this is what I picked out.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEH00&P=ML]Power Supply[/link]

Now, there are a couple chargers I would want.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=7[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPYT8&P=ML[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUAB8&P=ML[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMAJ0&P=7[/link]

Some of them arent 1-14 cells. It is not completely necessary as I would use them to charge my 2 starter box batteries, but it would be nice. Alternatively, I could get a 4S lipo for $100 and then get the ICE or Checkpoint charger. I plan on buying about 2-4 chargers, they could all be the same, they could all be different. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Looking for a Charger/Power Supply combo

I am familiar with all 4 chargers and they are all good. Your ps is great and plenty of power.

charger 1,2,4 do not balance lipos so they are out. charger 3 has a max rate of 5 amps so that ones out too.

You might try looking into the Triton 2 EQ or similar spec charger. It is too bad the T2EQ isn't available without the ps.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I made a power supply for a friend out of my old computer power supply. The rail I left the hook up the charger to was rated for 18 amps and 12v. He's been using for a few months now with no problems, and it only cost me about $60 3 years ago.

But I think you'd be able to run multiple chargers from that one PSU, since it's got 45A output.

Just what I would guess. as for the charger, good luck finding a good one that you like.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Chris_RC

I just came across this charger.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXLH3&P=7[/link]

How is that one? I guess I could live with 5 amps charging. Or I could use my Onyx 230 which charges up to 7 amps. So will this 45 amp power supply supply power for say 6 chargers running at once?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
guver

That one looks brand new , but very familiar. It is probably 150 watts. Th 45 amp ps will run any amount of chagers up to 45 amps of course.
Ultimately it has to be figure in watttage and the chjargers can simply be added up to fin out the total load.

Lets start from the beginning and find out the power equirement of each of your charging jobs.

What specific battery voltage and current will you be using (max)? It sounds like you already maxxed out your onyx 230, right?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: guver

That one looks brand new , but very familiar. It is probably 150 watts. Th 45 amp ps will run any amount of chagers up to 45 amps of course.
Ultimately it has to be figure in watttage and the chjargers can simply be added up to fin out the total load.

Lets start from the beginning and find out the power equirement of each of your charging jobs.

What specific battery voltage and current will you be using (max)? It sounds like you already maxxed out your onyx 230, right?
I will want it to charge 4S lipo eventually, and it will need to charge about 20 batteries total I would guess. This would be a public charger meaning I would use it for Slash rental races. I plan to buy about 7 Slash's so I need something that will charge them. Thats why I wanted 14+ cells. The Venom charger does 28 cells, so I could charge 4 packs on that charger!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Druss

http://www.gravesrc.com/RIPMAX_PRO_P.../glo158303.htm

That's the power supply I use for under $100 it works great.

I personally like the following charger, does everything you want, 6S up to 10amps.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...arger-Balancer
Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Druss

http://www.gravesrc.com/RIPMAX_PRO_P.../glo158303.htm

That's the power supply I use for under $100 it works great.

I personally like the following charger, does everything you want, 6S up to 10amps.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...arger-Balancer
Do you think 20 amp will be enough for aboout 6 chargers?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM
guver

A 4s battery is going to figure about 16 volts , what will the current be? The two multiplied togwether is the wattage.
For the slashes NImh batts it's hard to tell what they will require without the voltage and current. The venom can surely charge 4 packs at once in series , but the packs must require the same amount of charge. This job would max out the charger at 150 watts. The ps looks to be about 600 watts and would run 4 of those chargers at 150 watts each. (maybe a little less)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: guver

I will want it to charge 4S lipo eventually, and it will need to charge about 20 batteries total I would guess. This would be a public charger meaning I would use it for Slash rental races. I plan to buy about 7 Slash's so I need something that will charge them. Thats why I wanted 14+ cells. The Venom charger does 28 cells, so I could charge 4 packs on that charger!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Chris_RC

Say if I were to get 10 Zippy lipos and the cheap chargers at hobycity but a good power supply like that 45 amp one, would that work fine? Nimh's have been very finicky with me and lipos seem like alot less maintence and lighter.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Brainanator

zippy's would be sweet, but personally I wouldn't trust people with a slash and zippy to stop after a certain time, without a lipo cut-off making them stop...some people might be tempted to over discharge your batts, whether it be on purpose, or ignorance.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
guver

The zippys and the accucel6 would be a nice match with each one doing 50 watts. The ps will power about a dozen of them.
ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Say if I were to get 10 Zippy lipos and the cheap chargers at hobycity but a good power supply like that 45 amp one, would that work fine? Nimh's have been very finicky with me and lipos seem like alot less maintence and lighter.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

zippy's would be sweet, but personally I wouldn't trust people with a slash and zippy to stop after a certain time, without a lipo cut-off making them stop...some people might be tempted to over discharge your batts, whether it be on purpose, or ignorance.
That is what I wanted to know, how long should I expect runtime to be with a 4000 or 5000 battery? Perferrably 4000 with a stock slash. The rentals will only be 15 minutes long for x amount of $$ and racing will be 5 minutes long.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Druss

4000 in a stock slash will run around 30 minutes.

If you're going to be charging a lot of lipos then might I suggest a few of the polycharge 4s? They only charge at 3amps max so it would be about 1hr 20 minutes per battery but you can charge up to 4 lipos (4 cell each) at one time.

http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3015.html
Old 09-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Brainanator

Have you considered A123 cells?

You could quick charge them at the max amperage your chargers will do (I think, right? these are the cells that can handle a huge charge current, right?)

And I don't know if you have to worry about over discharging them as much as lipo, I haven't done any research, just throwing out another option to confuse you more
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Stylmast

Chris, check out maxamps.com green life batteries, they would be idea for what you are trying to do. Quick charge, no problems with running them to flat and safer than Lipo's.
Charger I would use is something like the
Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC Balance Charger
or
Hyperion EOS0615iDUO3 DC Balance Charger if you want to use a power supply

I hope this helps alittle
Scott
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

chris, what do you dislike about the 230? I just put an offer on one. is it just the lack of built-in balancing?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
e123

I have been looking for a new charger and found this one the other day http://www.nitrorcx.com/thac6smlibac.html

Good reviews and it looks like it does what you want it to do.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: Stylmast

Chris, check out maxamps.com green life batteries, they would be idea for what you are trying to do. Quick charge, no problems with running them to flat and safer than Lipo's.
Charger I would use is something like the
Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC Balance Charger
or
Hyperion EOS0615iDUO3 DC Balance Charger if you want to use a power supply

I hope this helps alittle
Scott
Don't buy maxamps anything period... For a good charger I would either get the Triton 2 or the Triton 2 EQ... Both excellent chargers... As for A123 cells you can check out ebay and try to buy bulk cells.. Theres usually like 40 cells for like 80 bucks or so.. Just make sure there generic A123 cells.. Than build the packs for your self.. You can have a great amount of packs and can charge/discharge them super fast and won't worry about anybody messing them up..
Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Druss

Don't buy the cheap online A123 cells. First they aren't true A123 cells and don't have anywhere near the amount of discharge rates the real ones do. The cheapest I see real A123 cells sell for is around $10 per cell, not $2 per cell.

They also work great in something like a slash where the triangular 3S2P configuration fits but in most cases you can only fit in a 2S2P which might not be all bad considering you're renting these to newbies.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: kistner

chris, what do you dislike about the 230? I just put an offer on one. is it just the lack of built-in balancing?
It can only charge 3s lipo and 8 cell nimh, it doesnt balance and it feels like a cheap quality charger.

So should I go with something like LiFe or A123 for safety and ease of use reasons for renting? I just want something easy to use where I could swap out fast.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 PM
ekimusman2

I've been using my Superbrain 989 for two years going strong, now. I love it for both my lipos and nimh. it's an excellent charger. it also comes with a more than adequate power supply. it stores 24 battery profiles. it charges pretty much every kind of battery you'd ever use in this hobby.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLTW4&P=ML

good luck
-EK-
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Stylmast

Wild yfz 450 Did you have a problem with some of maxamps gear? chasing info on thier gear.