Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas Slash Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Friday3166usaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Slash Motor Problems

Oh i really need some help here. I am new to electric, but have been running RC for about 4 years now. I have a slash and have burnt up 3 motors in 1 week. The first was a mamba max with a 7700, the second was a mamba max with a 5700, and the final one was a brushed motor. All of the had a 2 cell lipo running on them. The mamba's used the same ESC, then of course changed to the factor ESC. All 3 of them have went out the same way, lots of smoke.What could i be missing here. Anyone else having problems with these things. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Slash Motor Problems

the 7700 is way too many kv for the slash. That overheated quickly and thus gave out quickly. The 5700 is still pretty high for a slash...If you don't gear way down or just do a few sprints at a time it's no wonder that one gave out as well. I'm running a 4600 mamba in my slash, and it still get's pretty warm at 16/86 gearing. As for the brushed motor, it depends on what it was, if it was the stock titan, those suck anyway. Pick up a VXL motor, at 3500kv it has much more torque, you can gear it higher and there will be less heat issues.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traxxas Slash Motor Problems

Dont just give up on brushless yet. As Brain pointed out, 7700kv is off the chart for offroad...........5700kv is still too high in my book. I would go with a Traxxas Velineon 3500kv first and the castle 4600kv as a second choice. Also is there anything binding...........did you clamp down the pinion onto the spur way too tight? Check to see if everything turns freely with your hand. Whatever motor you run, gear it down a bit........big top speed is really not all its cracked up to be, you usually run out of room anyways. I like the "low geared get out of the hole quick" setups myself.

P.S. - i could start a whole thread just using quotes from guys saying things like - "my 9000kv fried in my Pede, need help"...........etc. High kv's are for on-road and Drag racing IMO